Innovative Marine Aquariums

17" cube, Kessil A350 or A350W?

bonsaidarrell

bonsaidarrell

I have a 17" cube, and I was thinking of taking advantage of the BRS sale on the Kessil A350/350W. Which would be better for my tank? I don't need the penetration of the A350, but the A350W covers up to 24".

I would be using the Kessil gooseneck.

if you don't need the spread of the w, I would actually go for the N. it would give you more room to alter the spectrum while losing less light. (also I have a new N in the classifieds!)

bonsaidarrell

So might light came today, and after a quick trip to the electrical store to get a new timer (the Kessil has a 3-prong plug), I got it installed. The wide works OK, but I have to put it fairly close to the surface to not spill a bunch of light. I can't use the 90 degree adapter, because that puts the light too high. So the A350 perhaps would have been a better choice. The shimmer is intense with this light!

Mine spills (A150w) over, but I don't even notice it now, it's ambient lighting.

If there is a chance you might upgrade soon and could only choose one, the wide would be the most versatile.

When I first got it I knew I could make some little plastic "shades" if it bothered me, or some type of tube would work too.

(Obviously this would seem silly to some, it would have been just temporary as I wanted to have a W light for future upgrades.)

Archived