Cultivated Reef

Wattman's Fluval Spec V build

Wattman

My first ever attempt at starting a saltwater aquarium. I've already started documenting the process. Looking forward to months ahead as I slowly build my aquarium.

I've been documenting the build process on imgur. Here's the link. http://imgur.com/a/qFaw7

4r6K0Pz.jpg

Cameron6796

Looks cool this is like the 7th spec v startup in April lol popular tank to be converted i guess. Any plans

I'm starting a Spec V build as well! Just waiting for equipment being shipped and deciding on LR and sand... Might pick up a deflector for my pump too.

inTank will be your best friend on some upgrade equipment : )

Surface skimmer

Media basket

marineland 606 pump (just realized you already have one!)

The tank is off to an awesome start!

inTank will be your best friend on some upgrade equipment : )

Surface skimmer

Media basket

marineland 606 pump (just realized you already have one!)

The tank is off to an awesome start!

Thanks for the suggestions! Not going to lie I have been eyeballing the intank media basket. I'm wondering how much more effective it is versus stock sponge? Does anyone have any first hand experience?

Currently I've filled the stock sponge gaps with filter floss.

awesome looking tank! First time saltwater aquarium as well! excited to see what this turns into..you have any stocking ideas for it yet?

Absolutely love the scape!! Ill be following your journal to see how it turns out!! :D

Check out mine in the signature below if youd like ^_^

The stock filter sponge is harder to clean out in the long run and acquires more detritus vs the easy cleaning of the media basket. The media basket allows you to run the filter floss, along with any other media you wish like Chem Pure Elite which is popular. Then some people use the bottom chamber for Purigen or other media. I plan on running more live rock rubble in mine. Also the skimmer that comes with the media basket allows you to have a higher water level in the display and have a lower water level in that back chamber. That was probably my favorite feature. This only works if you plugged that small opening on the back wall that is below the overflow. Then the media basket is designed to force probably 90% of the water flow through the back chamber to go through the media basket which allows for more effective use of the filter floss and other media.

Hopefully more can chime in and give more detail since my knowledge is still very limited.

the media basket is designed to force probably 90% of the water flow through the back chamber to go through the media basket which allows for more effective use of the filter floss and other media.

This! I've heard the stock sponge has issues with water flowing around it rather than through it making it less effective. I want to see first hand before I order the media basket, but I will be more likely ordering the basket :lol:

awesome looking tank! First time saltwater aquarium as well! excited to see what this turns into..you have any stocking ideas for it yet?

Absolutely love the scape!! Ill be following your journal to see how it turns out!! :D

Check out mine in the signature below if youd like ^_^

As far as stocking goes, I have no clue :wacko: I want to go slow and keep it minimal to best learn how things work in the tank.

I'm thinking about starting with one, possibly two banded trochus snails and a shrimp. Eventually I'd like to add either a yellow clown goby or white banded possum wrasse. It totally depends on what the only LFS in my area has in stock or ordering online (which I'm not too sure of yet)

Reefcleaners is highly recommended for a clean up crew. But beware, you will get SOOOO much that you will probably pick through what you want and give a handful to your LFS I got their 2.5G nano package that was like $14.50, with priority shipping, everything survived. I even got hermits within the mix of ceriths. Just pick through it carefully though, I did acquire a tiny gorilla crab which I gave to my lfs and they placed into their fuge.

This! I've heard the stock sponge has issues with water flowing around it rather than through it making it less effective. I want to see first hand before I order the media basket, but I will be more likely ordering the basket :lol:

I went 4 months without the basket, now I absolutely question how I lasted without it! Plus it comes with the surface skimmer they designed for the Fluval Spec's.

As far as stocking goes, I have no clue :wacko: I want to go slow and keep it minimal to best learn how things work in the tank.

I'm thinking about starting with one, possibly two banded trochus snails and a shrimp. Eventually I'd like to add either a yellow clown goby or white banded possum wrasse. It totally depends on what the only LFS in my area has in stock or ordering online (which I'm not too sure of yet)

thats cool. im a beginner as well..i am probably getting a couple to many corals then i should right now but i figure what the hell why not? haha..just added some new ones to the tank as well. i totally feel your pain on only ONE LFS...its hard and they dont exactly have the best selection for corals around here either..its hard to find something price worthy for a nano tank around this neck of the woods lol..

• 2 months later...

So it's been awhile since I've posted anything about the tank. This shot is about 3 months in.

Corals:

Frogspawn

Kenya Tree

Torch

Kryptonite Candy Cane

2-3 different zoas and palys

Green Birdsnet that somehow didn't die after I snapped it in half

Livestock:

Zebra Turbo Snail

Gold Bar Maroon - bought at 3/4" a month ago and now almost an inch long. Stripes are still white but LFS said they turn yellow around 6 months.

Future Plans: I have a 28 Nano Cube in the works to transfer the clown. I want a yellow and black clown goby in the spec V once transferred.

vBe9Lcz.jpg

Archived