Innovative Marine Aquariums

Custom lids/covers?

ETucc

I have a Fluval Spec V and I was wondering if anyone knows how I would obtain a lid other than the stock one? I was thinking Home Depot, Lowe's, or Ace Hardware could assemble a glass top if i gave them dimensions. Has anyone ever had this done before? It would be nice if it had some sort of rubber outlining to prevent the constant glass on glass contact.

Go to a stain glass store with the dimension you want cut, including any possible curves you wish for. Then order some 90 degree connectors for the glass to attach to the tank. http://www.dkhardware.com/product-23120-cpdc2-clear-plastic-90-degree-2-way-display-connector.html

Or you can try to cut down the center of some air tubing and line the glass edge with that to get rid of the glass on glass contact.

I ended up doing something similar. Not 100% complete because I am still altering a few things. Luckily someone I know does stain glass and has all the equipment I need to make the cuts and grind down the sharp edges. Also most home improvement stores don't cut glass for anyone anymore, at least not in my area.

That was the idea I was going for, but I will keep my eye on your thread for other ideas people have.

If anyone knows how to get the plastic clips that cadlights uses for the glass tops on their AIO tank, they would be prefect. Just get a cut piece of glass and the clips allow it to rest on the top rim of the tank.

Something like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Mini-Aquarium-Tank-Glass-Cover-Acrylic-Clip-Support-Holder-6mm-Thick-Glass-/331080084467

Look up local glass shops for cut glass. They can usually grind of bevel the edges as well for a bit extra.

I think my local Ace Hardware does it. They're trying to set themselves apart in the marketing world from Lowe's and Home Depot by offering things that they don't, like glass cutting. I find it hard to believe that the big stores would turn down business like that...

Archived