Cultivated Reef

Is pumice the same as Seachem media granules?

FlowerMama

Thanks. I guess my safest bet is to 1) use seachem matrix in the sump and 2) maybe just stick w/ a mix of black sand and gravel as substrate. Maybe I'll use 2 parts sand to 1 part black gravel and put the rest of the gravel in the buckets. That way the babies have something to cling to.

I'm not a woman that gets excited over jewelry or clothes, but I am excited about the items I've received today and yesterday. Don always said I needed to do more for myself. Well....I am; just in a different way but I know he'd be smiling at me seeing me being excited and happy. What made him happy was to see me happy. He'd get choked up sometimes because he knew he'd be the cause of me being so sad when he passed.

But anyway, get that outta my head. No call yet this week about my tank & stand. Hope I hear tomorrow from my lfs.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/003_zpsc6665c67.jpg.html'>003_zpsc6665c67.jpg

Dayum gurl you hooked yourself up ;). You deserve it!

if you are doing an industrial style breeding setup. id strongly suggest ceramic rings or going with pumice. as your bed.

So you think stick w/ the matrix gravel idea then as it would have the properties of helping biologically and giving the babies a place to set their foot down. I really like the idea of being able to use the gravel cleaner to assist with cleanup.

Dayum gurl you hooked yourself up ;). You deserve it!

Thanks Lawnman, I'm trying to learn that. With this substrate issue I feel like a ping pong ball going back n' forth. I'm just trying to think it out. You guys are the only ones I can bounce things off of and I really appreciate it.

okay. if you are gonna go for a large breeding setup id reccomend a large sump with a equally large amount of LR/ Filtration media. this can be done in a variety of ways. pumice, ceramic rings, bio balls. should havea skimmer there as well as well as a dedicated refugium area. * these areas do not change* meaning you dont add or remove anything here.

in the breeding area. youll want to use a large gravel type. ( ceramic rings may not work well here) i would go with a pumice ball setup or something similar. youll want to tile the bottom of the tank. ( you can do that alone.) so just tiles layed out on the obttom of the tank. youll want to place your nems on these tiles. or you could lay down some pumice style balls. ( coral rubble )or anything of this sort.) this way you can easily remove nems and seperate works the same as tiles. or you could have both if you dont want the nems sticking the foot to the glass. or just tiles.

- this is from setting up a coral distribution center when i was in the business a long time ago. still how its done today.

option 3 you can place each nem in a "basket" and place them in the tank that way. all methods will work. but it depends on how big the system is. as each style scales differently. ie. 40gals/100/500/1000/3000/5000 /10000

Thank you, i do appreciate everyone's input. Besides playing Barry White in the background for mood music I'd like this to work!.

Yes, goal is to have breeding nems in the middle and as I find babies move them to the basket, take out basket and feed w/ cyclopeeze, oysterfeast, phytofeast, an hour later put the basket back in the tank. None of the baby nems would see the glass, they'd just grow in their baskets. As they grow they'll get PE Mysis and LRS Frenzy food. And hopefully they'll be pretty enough one day.

I read up on Tropicornium's system but I want to avoid crushed gravel because of the nitrates. I have a 20g for the heater and skimmer pictured above, then as much live rock as I can, caulerpa, and then return back to the tank. I have no problem w/ checking out some tiles at Lowes. If I have to change one out for some reason it'll be easier to do that than trying to remove them from the glass. It's a small system- 45g which is 36 x 24 x 12. I'll use some sand from my 34 to seed the tank above but I wasn't planning on sand in the sump.

Yes, baskets are happening- 10.5L x 6.5W x 3H

005_zpsc739e004.jpg

004_zps75866e6d.jpg

How do you remove silica/cate from pumice with acid? Is it worth me getting pumice online or just use the seachem matrix as gravel bed?

Would I still put gravel under the baskets or just keep it clean and put the basket right on the glass and only put matrix under the breeder nems?

I know, I have so many questions. But honestly, aside from Tropicornium who only starting breeding some few years ago, there's not much out there as far as research material.

okay well. #1 the reason for the sump with the rock is because you dont want to be moving substantial amounts of rock ina nd out of the system itll mess up your parameters ( they wont be as stable as youd like) id highly reccomend adding moon phases and seasons to the tank as ive read in the past it induces spawning events in these nems. ( i dont have the source on me anymore ) id personally go with pumice and soak it in RO if i was doing an industrial style prop tank ( 500+/1000 gallons)

TLDR/ if its a small system just go for coral rubble or/ seachem matrix if its sub 80 gallons.

okay well. #1 the reason for the sump with the rock is because you dont want to be moving substantial amounts of rock ina nd out of the system itll mess up your parameters ( they wont be as stable as youd like) id highly reccomend adding moon phases and seasons to the tank as ive read in the past it induces spawning events in these nems. ( i dont have the source on me anymore ) id personally go with pumice and soak it in RO if i was doing an industrial style prop tank ( 500+/1000 gallons)

TLDR/ if its a small system just go for coral rubble or/ seachem matrix if its sub 80 gallons.

Yeah, it's just a 45 shallow w/ a 20 sump/ref w/ as much rock as I can put. I never planned for rock above at all. And I bought 16 4" tiles for the bottom. Do you suggest I put them in the dishwasher without soap to clean and sanitize it? they're ceramic. Oh, and I pick up the tank and stand tomorrow!!!!!!

Archived