Top Shelf Aquatics

Is pumice the same as Seachem media granules?

FlowerMama

I noticed that I could buy 8 qrts of pumice from a gardening section for 19.99. Or a rockyard for cheaper. And you can buy 2L of Seachem media granules for the same price. Is it the same as pumice?

That's an interesting thought. I think pumice is inert, so even if it isn't the exact same thing, I could see it working well. I thin I would want to soak it or boil it first, though.

Pinner Reef

Pumice floats... might not be easy to use. Also I'd worry about silicates depending on where it's from. My geology is weak at best.

I know I used some seachem before and yeah, it did float for a moment, then it was saturated. I'm just trying to see if it's an easy replacement like using fiberfill for rolls of filter floss. I would of course rinse but I want to research more.

This is interesting: http://www.hesspumice.com/pumice-pages/pumice-uses/filtration-pumice.html

" As a filtration media, pumice is used as an aggressively-filtering alternative to sand (and other filtration media) for the treatment of municipal and industrial effluents. The low specific gravity and high porosity of pumice make it ideal for these applications and treatment processes.

A growing body of research has shown pumice to be an effective filtering media for drinking water. The foamy structure and near-white purity of Hess Pumice makes it ideal in the capture and retention of cyanobacterial toxins and other impurities found in fouled drinking water."

Benefits of pumice for water treatment applications include:
Improved filtration rates
Less energy consumption
Less intensive backwash requirements
Better filtration bed expansion
Larger effective surface area
Low-cost filter refurbishment
Economical: saves on capital expenditures for new treatment plants

Benefits of pumice for odor control include:
Increased effective surface area
Improved removal rates
Improved media lifespan (10 or more years)
Lightweight nature of pumice means reduced footprint
Rapid biomass growth

Pumice floats... might not be easy to use. Also I'd worry about silicates depending on where it's from. My geology is weak at best.

So what has Seachem done to it to reduce silicates if that's what it is?

Pinner Reef

Ok soo a little backround on how I know this subject matter. We used to party at an abandoned pumice mine in high school and I did a report on it for my ERE science class. That's it, plus a little net searching as pertaining to Salt Water. As such, I am by no means an expert.

Pumice is a form of aluminum silicate which, apparently, is not very soluble in SW. As such there is no reason one cannot use it as a filter media. The porsity of it certainly rivals, if not surpasses, that of LR.

The potential problem I was worried about was other, more soluble, silicates in the mix. Pumice is a rock pulled from the ground, as such, impurities are certain to be present. I myself have used ancient LR collected in the desert. I have found algae grows more prolific on these rocks as opposed to the "true" LR. This, I believe, is due to phosphates and silicates leeching from the rock.

I'm not wholly certain what seachem uses in this particular media. It may very well be pumice or form of it, better refined, so as to eleminate the majority soluble silicates. I have attempted to cook out phosphates and silicates of the LR in a bucket of RO/DI with unknown results as I never thought to test the water after a soak. I can't honestly say wether or not it helped; the rocks still grow algae.

I have thought of using pumice as well in the past. Maybe someone better learned will chime in.

Ok soo a little backround on how I know this subject matter. We used to party at an abandoned pumice mine in high school and I did a report on it for my ERE science class. That's it, plus a little net searching as pertaining to Salt Water. As such, I am by no means an expert.

Pumice is a form of aluminum silicate which, apparently, is not very soluble in SW. As such there is no reason one cannot use it as a filter media. The porsity of it certainly rivals, if not surpasses, that of LR.

The potential problem I was worried about was other, more soluble, silicates in the mix. Pumice is a rock pulled from the ground, as such, impurities are certain to be present. I myself have used ancient LR collected in the desert. I have found algae grows more prolific on these rocks as opposed to the "true" LR. This, I believe, is due to phosphates and silicates leeching from the rock.

I'm not wholly certain what seachem uses in this particular media. It may very well be pumice or form of it, better refined, so as to eleminate the majority soluble silicates. I have attempted to cook out phosphates and silicates of the LR in a bucket of RO/DI with unknown results as I never thought to test the water after a soak. I can't honestly say wether or not it helped; the rocks still grow algae.

I have thought of using pumice as well in the past. Maybe someone better learned will chime in.

Thanks, I'm not gonna chance it, I'll just use Seachem as gravel then. Just trying to find a way to keep nitrates down as I fear from feeding every day they'll be too much in the crushed coral and it looks ugly when dirty. I know the skimmer will help but I want these to be as healthy as possible, to bust out w/ spawn and fertilize to the high heavens. Which reminds me, I need to find some Barry White for music in the background.

I couldn't tell you if Seachem Matrix is the same as the pumice you can get at a gardening store, but I can say that it is a great filter media. I started using it when I set up my large system about a year ago, and likely won't ever set up another tank without it :).

I couldn't tell you if Seachem Matrix is the same as the pumice you can get at a gardening store, but I can say that it is a great filter media. I started using it when I set up my large system about a year ago, and likely won't ever set up another tank without it :).

I wonder how much I'd even have to buy to cover one inch in a tank that's 36 x 24, unless anyone has another crushed coral substitute thought.

I wonder how much I'd even have to buy to cover one inch in a tank that's 36 x 24, unless anyone has another crushed coral substitute thought.

At least a couple of liters.

Theoretically, once it becomes live you would have more than enough biological filtration for the tank. Seachem says 1 liter is enough for 100g's.

When I set my 40 back up I will have a minimum of 5 liters, but probably more. I'm all about biological filtration :).

I know I'll have enough coverage for the biological activity of it, but I'm saying the depth of 1 inch on the bottom of the tank as substrate. It would replace crushed gravel and serve a dual purpose.

I know I'll have enough coverage for the biological activity of it, but I'm saying the depth of 1 inch on the bottom of the tank as substrate. It would replace crushed gravel and serve a dual purpose.

Yeah I gotcha...

That's why I said it would at least take a couple of liters, but likely more than that.

Yeah I gotcha...

That's why I said it would at least take a couple of liters, but likely more than that.

ah ok, sometimes you can't tell. I'll buy 4 liters just in case and use the leftover in my tanks. The mantis tanks could use some as well as the clam and 34g.

ah ok, sometimes you can't tell. I'll buy 4 liters just in case and use the leftover in my tanks. The mantis tanks could use some as well as the clam and 34g.

The interwebs can be hard to decipher sometimes!!

I was just trying to picture a 24'x36" area (my computer desk is 24"x48"). This is just a guess, but I think you will need something in the range of 6 to 8 liters to fill the whole area at a 1" depth. Or the equivalent of enough bio filtration for an 800 gallon system!!

The interwebs can be hard to decipher sometimes!!

I was just trying to picture a 24'x36" area (my computer desk is 24"x48"). This is just a guess, but I think you will need something in the range of 6 to 8 liters to fill the whole area at a 1" depth. Or the equivalent of enough bio filtration for an 800 gallon system!!

I'm still going to use a cup of sand to seed it. But I was trying to think of what options I might have. And I don't want to get the bucket of it because they are large, they're not gravel. Pea gravel or smaller would be fine. I wonder if I can throw in a bottle of denitrate from Seachem, that's a tid bit smaller. Put a 1/4 inch of that and then the Matrix?

I would love to find a place that sell it locally here-I use the stuff ALOT. I use it in my bonsai soil mixes- I don't see why not use it-works great as a bonsai soil additive. Never used it in my reef tanks though

I wonder about the silicates. That's the only piece about buying pumice gravel at a garden center or online that I worry about.

Thanks, I'm not gonna chance it, I'll just use Seachem as gravel then. Just trying to find a way to keep nitrates down as I fear from feeding every day they'll be too much in the crushed coral and it looks ugly when dirty. I know the skimmer will help but I want these to be as healthy as possible, to bust out w/ spawn and fertilize to the high heavens. Which reminds me, I need to find some Barry White for music in the background.

Sorry I do not have any insight to offer on pumice but is Seachem matrix effective at nitrate reduction as well?

From the general consensus of what I read online when starting my tank, nitrates are only effectively removed via water changes, deep sand bed, denitrators, macroalgae and carbon dosing.

But I guess if you have a thick layer, the matrix will work like those deep sand beds??

Yes, I've heard they're great at nitrate reduction, it's part of the whole reason you get the matrix. And that's another thing, you only need a liter of it to take care of a crazy amount of sq footage and you can rinse it out and put it back. So you're not having to repeat buy.

Seachem Matrix

Description: Processed pumice. Seachem has taken pumice, broken it up, smoothed the edges and washed it. It is guaranteed free from heavy metals and silicates.
Surface Area: Same as pumice above
Advantages: Ready to use, reasonable surface area
Disadvantages: Expensive, will slowly clog.
Cost: Expensive
Best Use: Trickle filters and Canister filters.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=1778

seachem supposedly acid washes the pumice. to remove silicates. but im unsure of this.

Thanks. I guess my safest bet is to 1) use seachem matrix in the sump and 2) maybe just stick w/ a mix of black sand and gravel as substrate. Maybe I'll use 2 parts sand to 1 part black gravel and put the rest of the gravel in the buckets. That way the babies have something to cling to.

I'm not a woman that gets excited over jewelry or clothes, but I am excited about the items I've received today and yesterday. Don always said I needed to do more for myself. Well....I am; just in a different way but I know he'd be smiling at me seeing me being excited and happy. What made him happy was to see me happy. He'd get choked up sometimes because he knew he'd be the cause of me being so sad when he passed.

But anyway, get that outta my head. No call yet this week about my tank & stand. Hope I hear tomorrow from my lfs.

003_zpsc6665c67.jpg

Archived