Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is metronidazole safe?

FlowerMama

I have to treat my neon but it's hard to get out, if I can't catch him, is metronidazole safe for the claim?

jedimasterben

Nope. Never, ever, ever put anything like that into a reef tank, whether the bottle says it is safe or not.

I might just use the Extreme Garlic and hopes it takes care of him enough, I can't catch him to save my life. It's not ich but he has something.

jedimasterben

Garlic doesn't do anything but give the food a 'strange' smell and can entice the fish into eating it. There is no solid data that it does anything else.

He has some kind of light film on his body from head to tail. He's not rubbing against things though. It's not splotchy, just a little cloudy. So light I hadn't noticed it until FlCandi came by because she pointed it out.

The medicine is one that comes w/ a polymer so the medicine sticks to the food you've mixed it in. So it's not something going directly into the water column.

Medicating directly in the tank is never ever a good idea.

Even if it bonds with the food it can still end up in the system.

Always treat livestock in a quarantine tank.

Thanks, yeah, I chose not do anything because I can't get him out of that tank and I don't want to chance the clam.

probably wouldn't do anything to your clam directly...

But it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use it in your DT where everything is. Metronidazole is an antibiotic that is particularly efective against anaerobic bacteria, amoebas, and protozoa. So, that being said, it would probably negatively affect (as in, kill a large portion) of your biological filter, which is made up of anaerobic bacteria. Also, wear gloves around that stuff, as it is reasonably suspected to be a carcinogen.

When my wrasse jumped and got an infection, I used Artemiss Microbe Lift http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21424 in the display for 10 days (couldn't catch him!). A few of the corals seemed ticked off but the wrasse recovered and the corals and inverts were fine. I would definitely consider it a last resort to treat the whole tank - better to catch him and QT if you can.

We have used metro on clams when treating PM disease. It actually didn't harm the clam, but bleached them out. SOme became nearly pale.

Archived