SaltCritters.com

New coralife bio cube 29

Chooch

Hello everyone just got my tank unpacked and stand all assembled.Prior to starting up I have some questions on items that I am going to need. First I keep reading that the bio balls are no good. ....is it okay to Start my cycle with them in and then look into upgrades later or is it a must to look into other options while it is stock.

So I will be good with just the media basket....heater in chamber 1 for now while I cycle the tank...

As far as creating more flow what is a good power head for this tank

wp-10 off ebay... OR a small koralia

Wp-10 makes waves, koralia is white noise

So I will be good with just the media basket....heater in chamber 1 for now while I cycle the tank... As far as creating more flow what is a good power head for this tank

Thanks....just trying to get a feel of a good setup...so many people setup the biocube 29 differently. I don't want to have to make so many big changes to the system once it get started

MyLiquidBlue29BC

You should cover the bottom grate/overflow in chamber 1 now. When you cover it, you get better surface skimming because all the water goes over the top overflow. It is a really big pain it cover the grate AFTER you put water in the tank. (Personal experience :) lol) Just super gule acrylic or plastic behind the grate.

wp-10 off ebay... OR a small koralia

Wp-10 makes waves, koralia is white noise

I would suggest getting the WP-10 from Amazon. Personally, I try to avoid eBay and PayPal at all costs.

+1 on media rack! Do away with the media balls, and do away with the sponge if yours came with one. I opted to upgrade the return pump, used the fuge basket, and added a HOB skimmer. Thats all optional of course, but I've had pretty good results with my tank.

Can u run just the media rack in tray two or do you have to hook it up with a skimmer

The media tray has nothing to do with a skimmer. The only connection is they have a shorter water diverter if you want to use the tunez skimmer in chamber 2. I tried that skimmer and had bad luck with it and would not recommend it. A skimmer is not really needed with the BC29. Just keep up with your watwr changes and you'll be fine.

Is that all stuff I can add on later .... Was thinking about adding the media rack and upgrading the circulation.... Water...sand ...and then LR....and cycle this for awhile

I guess it's all a matter of taste, for me Ibought all my upgrades a little at a time, but didn't add water until Ihave everything I wanted. Took almost a year, not everyone has that kind of patience. lol

Thanks guys I will be ordering the media rack later today...what are the pros and cons of the fuge rack in the coralife biocube 29... Or am I getting way ahead of myself

reefrookie082

I left the sponge entering the 3rd chamber in and clean it regularly. I also took the media basket route. Skimmer in chamber1, media rack in chamber2 (which no longer holds media except sponges on top rack), heater and return pump in chamber3. Few months back i ditched the media for the rack and got a minimax reactor, filled it with GFO/Carbon, works great and fits like a glove.

I have the media basket and I just switched out my pump..... Was wondering what people think about either doing the funge basket or the protein skimmer.... As of right now I have the tank assembled without anything in it yet.

Super CatPig

if you leave the sponge clean it regularly. It traps a lot of gunk and can build up quickly. I removed mine. Although I have the Oceanic brand BC29, I have the media basket with chaeto/carbon/floss in the mid chamber with a Tunze 9002 without any problems. The Tunze removes a lot of crap and I would recommend it.. But really I think that both the skimmer or the fuge basket would both be a good investment.

So it's been a few weeks but since I have added a media basket, and upgraded the pump to a mj1200.... Yesterday I filled the tank with 20lbs of live sand and about 20lbs of dry rock. The salinity is stable at 1.023 and the temp about 79.

I am a little nervous about the heat but since I opened the feeding hood it's been hovering about 79

As of the media rack I am just using the filter floss. Question I have is when do I add the Puritan and chemical pure to the media rack.??

... As long as the temp and salinity are both stable can I add a few lbs of live rock to the mix??

I've been running a biocube 29 for a couple of months now with no mods other than removing the bio balls and replacing with the mediabasket and a tunze skimmer. I don't really understand the people who bitch about the tunze - I love it, does a great job removing gunk, easy to clean and fits the biocube great with no problems. I went with the Jaebo WP-10 and love it! easy to set up and use and good wave action. I don't have a heater but also don't have any problems with overheating - I've been steady between 74-76 since the day I set it up. I haven't even changed out the lighting and my softies and LPS seem perfectly happy.

I don't really understand the people who ##### about the tunze.

My ##### about the tunze is because of the crappy construction. I had two units and both of them would fall apart when trying to put them in. The bottom of one would fall out and the top of the other would pop off. It seems there are two types they ship. One that stays together and people love, like yourself. And one that won't stay together because of crappy manufacturing and quality control, like the two I got. I have seen this same complaint by others so it's not just my experience either.

Archived