Cultivated Reef

Light Advice for Mr. Aqua Long

Riddler05

Hey all,

I am planning a new tank and I could use some help figuring out what light to use. The tank is "Mr Aqua 12 Gallon Long" with the dimensions of 36 (Long) x 8 (wide) x 9.5 (Deep). The plan for the tank was to keep mostly SPS coral and maybe a fish (or two at max).

My question is what type of light would everyone recommend. I would prefer to keep the cost under $200 (if possible). It would also be nice if it had moon lighting or if the actinic could be on its own switch (or driver).

Would T5 be enough to SPS and how much wattage would I need? Can anyone recommend a good fixture (or brand) for under $200?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reef_Suds,

Thanks for the advice. Can I ask what brand of Par38 you use and how many lights you have over your tank?

Thanks

I don't know much about the PAR lights, but trying to light 36" for SPS under $200 is a very tall order in my opinion. I'm thinking either the SPS or the budget needs to go... But like I said, I don't know much about the PAR lights.

bdevillier19

a 36x4 t5 from fish need it would be overkill but allows for better color combos than a 2x36 that they sell. and depending on how you mount the light a 24" buildmyled is 180 and the 36" is 230, add another 15 for a dimmer.

For under $200 Id go with a 36x4 T5 fixtures with 2 or more channel controls. That would allow you to run 1-2 bulbs at a time in the morning and at night, and then have a timer turn on the other channel for 3-4 bulbs for a shorter period of time in the middle of the day.

Even the cheapo LED fixtures are going to be over $200 and they wont have many options - I went with the cheapo LED and its nondimming and only has blue and white. While it can still grow colorful coral it leaves things to be desired.

SantaMonica
trying to light 36" for SPS under $200 is a very tall order

The fellow on the previous thread I just posted did the "only light the sps part" trick. High intensity, but only in one part. Softies etc in the other parts.

2 T5s will be enough(or too much) for anything your inclined to keep in that tiny tank. It's only 8 inches wide and 9.5 deep, do NOT put 4 tubes over that tank.

Archived