Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoClown's Fluval Spec V | Retired

NanoClown

Love your spec, I need to get more corals in mine, but currently upgrading equipment. You said the 425 was too much flow? What would you think about a 240 in it? I have a 404 mini jet and I need a little more flow, my frogspawn just barely sways in the flow and they seem not to be too happy.

I personally dont have a 240 in mine, I ended up swapping out the 425 for a tiny powerhead. I have more than enough flow between the 606 return pump, ac20 and the 60gph powerhead.

I think a 240 should work fine, the 425 pushed over the sandbed on the opposite side of the tank so thats why I took it out.

IN OTHER NEWS!!!!

I picked up most of my equipment for my new tank. I really only need to purchase an ATO unit and a RKL and then things will be all set to go. I will try to get some pics up of the new goodies when I get a chance to this weekend

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the link for those of you who would like to continue this adventure with me! I picked up everything this weekend and got a chance to take some pics of the equipment. I hope I can have this up and running within a months time :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350145-nanoclowns-mraqua-25gl/

I might post one last FTS before I take this tank down, until then nothing new has happened. Still fighting briopsis -____-

Let's see what I end up doing with it, I might have to set it up as a frag tank sometime in the future. B)

I'm really excited to start on my new build. I would love to keep the Spec V up and running, but I don't really want to worry about multiple tanks.

MisturrTinnie

Let's see what I end up doing with it, I might have to set it up as a frag tank sometime in the future. B)

I'm really excited to start on my new build. I would love to keep the Spec V up and running, but I don't really want to worry about multiple tanks.

I feel like I just followed your footsteps haha. My spec V is now my frag tank and everything cool is going into my new RSM that I built from scratch. B)

I feel like I just followed your footsteps haha. My spec V is now my frag tank and everything cool is going into my new RSM that I built from scratch. B)

lol, i am doing the same. just added a frag rack to my Spec and moving all the meh corals from my 12 gallon to the Spec.

lol that's awesome! My last tank was a RSM that I had a few years ago. I might have a thread around here somewhere, but who knows if there's any pics there that are still up lol

Loved your Spec while it latest lol. I wanna do the same but I told myself I wouldn't until the tank has been up a year.

Thanks man! The Spec is a really nice tank, but I've been itching to get something bigger setup. I plan to have my new setup for at least a year while I finish up school before I make anymore major changes lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice tank! You could plumb the two together rather than get rid?

Thanks!

I wish that I could lol. I might set it up in the future for something. I just dont have the time to take care of multiple tanks. I'd rather just have one setup

Keep us posted on the new setup! I'd upgrade if I had the time/money/space. Good luck to you, sir.

Patience my friend, in time you'll have the tank of your dreams! I'm so glad that I had stumbled upon this setup for a great deal. Hopefully I can get it up and running this weekend. I have a link to my new thread a few posts up :)

• 6 months later...

Hello All!

After my long awaited hiatus from reefkeeping I bit the bullet and decided that it was time for me to start back up another tank. Recently a good friend of mine started up a Nuvo 30 and hooked me up with his fluval spec picos (V and 2.5) (empty ofc :lol:). This was just the incentive I needed right? Anywho my wallet hates me yet again.

Equipment:

Tank: Fluval Spec V

- one wall painted black

- added Hydor Flow to the output nozzle

- glued shut the slit that enters the false wall

- InTank Surface Skimmer

Heating/Cooling:

- Marineland Visi Therm 50w heater, set to 78 degrees

- cooling will be provided by a simple clip-on fan, I have no need for it at this time so its not purchased yet

Lighting:

- Current USA Orbit Marine LED, 18-24in

Not much that I can say about growth yet but I can say this fixture is pretty nice for the price, it fits over the main display perfectly. It has its own controller that lets you fully control your LEDs (blue and white independently). The controller also has a few cool options such as natural light replication (overcast days, cloudy, dawn/dusk effects ect.). My only complaint so far is that the moonlight option only runs for a maximum of 6hrs (odd?). From what I have heard about the PAR values, I will only be keeping LPS and Softies for now, but considering that this tank is rather shallow it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me to try and put some easy to keep SPS in this tank in the future B)

Flow: Provided By

-MiniJet 606 (modded by taking off the front and back pieces, connected to my Hydor Flow) fits in perfectly in that tiny chamber from hell and adds tons of more flow over the stock pump, Great!

-Hydor Koralia Nano 425gph (a little overkill for a 5 gallon but I love this thing)

Filtration: Natural, Mechanical, and Chemical

- ~5-6 lbs live rock

- ~7 lbs of live sand

- Aquaclear 20, refugium modded w/ Cheato and LR rubble

- 7w power compact 6700k fuge light

- DIY Media Rack made from black eggcrate, 3 teirs (top has filter floss, middle will hold my Chempure Elite and Purigen, bottom has live rock rubble)

Livestock:

Clean Up Crew:

- 5 Nassarius snails

- 1 Astrea turbo snail

- 4 Cerith Snails

Adding:

- 1 Cleaner shrimp (I recently has a small misshap with my water quality that caused my cleaner shrimp and watchman goby to go into shock :(, i'm in the process of getting it back in order)

Fish:

Adding:

- 1 Six-Line Wrasse

- 1 Watchman Goby (Possibly Yasha Haze) w/Pistol Shrimp

Corals:

- Torch Coral

- Various Zoa frags

- Blasto

- Red Mushroom

Adding:

- Hammer Coral

- Frogspawn Coral

- Plate Coral

- Pulsing Xenias

- Duncans

- More Zoas!!!!

- Ricordias/ Yumas

Obligatory FTS

IMG_1260.jpg

Up closer

IMG_1255.jpg

You can see how well the Current USA fixture fits over this tank

IMG_1250.jpg

AquaClear 20 Refugium. I keep the light on 24/7

IMG_1265.jpg

Here you can (kind of lol) see my DIY media rack, as well as the rest of my chambers

IMG_1258.jpg

Please excuse the messy diatoms right now :closedeyes:

what did you use for the media rack??

• 1 month later...

...sorry for the crappy quality photos. My digital camera took a dump on me and I never replaced it.

hah!

• 2 months later...
reef.state.of.mind

just a quick question... did you use the Current USA Orbit Marine LED or Current USA Orbit Marine Pro LED. I didn't realize there was a difference until today and had my heart set on the lower watts (regular one) now... i'm just confused and not certain which one to get.

Archived