Innovative Marine Aquariums

NanoClown's Fluval Spec V | Retired

NanoClown

NanoClown

I love my Tailspot Blenny! They're incredible fish. I think I might add a Yellow Clown Goby down the road to give him a buddy!

They really are incredible, I can already tell that mine has a ton of personality. Hes constantly on the lookout for anybody outside the tank. He'll sit about observing until you get a couple feet away from the glass. After that he darts behind the rocks to his little home. Good thing he picked a location where I could keep an eye on him. So far he hasnt had any signs of altercations with the rescued clown. Seems like they will be great tank mates!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Tailspot is the same way! Such curious little guys. My YCG was friendly for a moment even when I first put him in my tank! I love all these Spec V's. We should all be proud. Your Clown is in great hands now!

NanoClown

I would love to get another to pair it up with but I don't want to push my bioload for such a small tank. Hopefully by the end of the summer I get my next project up and running at that time i'll transfer the clown and get him a mate :happy:

I also love the emergence of all these new Spec V's! We should probably start our own cult :grouphug: LMAO

I would love to get another to pair it up with but I don't want to push my bioload for such a small tank. Hopefully by the end of the summer I get my next project up and running at that time i'll transfer the clown and get him a mate :happy:

I also love the emergence of all these new Spec V's! We should probably start our own cult :grouphug: LMAO

HAIL TO THE SPEC!!!

NanoClown

In recent days I have been noticing my Tailspot Blenny (Sumo) has been rather blaoted, after doing some research I think it may be because he isnt getting enough greens in his diet. He absolutely loves prime reef flakes so I picked up some spirulina algea flakes hoping that he will take to those. He ate a whole bunch and decided to put on a show for me during feeding time!

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/Fluval%20Spec%20V/b9486c22-75f1-48eb-a04f-df602bec4021.jpg.html'>b9486c22-75f1-48eb-a04f-df602bec4021.jpg

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/Fluval%20Spec%20V/ba5e6b94-cb74-4f62-b3d9-4cb192744ba1.jpg.html'>ba5e6b94-cb74-4f62-b3d9-4cb192744ba1.jpg

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/Fluval%20Spec%20V/ebb40619-a275-43a1-9045-0abc0e0c0929.jpg.html'>ebb40619-a275-43a1-9045-0abc0e0c0929.jpg

I still cant get a decent picture of my clownfish -__- But fortunately he is looking much better and more colorful than when I took him in!

I can't wait to hang out with my fish when I get home from work! I swear Blenny The Jet can speak to me...

Ninjamyst you wont regret getting one. My tailspot blenny has a great personality, so far it seems like he likes to poach up on the rocks rather than swim in the water column. Probably because my clownfish is always jetting around the tank himself.

Kijho

I'll try to get some more pictures out tomorrow! I'm out and about for the night~

Kijho

I'll try to get some more pictures out tomorrow! I'm out and about for the night~

God damn Mr.Nano - now how am I gonna sleep tonight with all this anticipation and excitement for tomorrow!!?!??

Hahaha just kidding, I look forward to it!

I love tailspots! I had one in my bigger tank at home, and I thought I had lost him only to find him in the filtration chamber 2 months later, alive and well. Little booger! I guess I should have just left him there, because he ended up finding the tiniest little corner of uncovered top and went carpet surfing. I miss him alot, he was by far my favorite little fish. RIP Benny :(

Looks great man! A clown needs a Clownfish :)

Beaaaaauuuttiiful !!

Thank you guys! I really appreciate the compliments :wub:

Stopped by my lfs today and picked up a frag of Kenya Tree. Other than that, there hasn't been any other new additions. I did re-do my aquascape a little bit though b.c a frag got knocked down under my rock work :closedeyes:

I'll have new pics tomorrow!

Tank is looking good! Just wondering how you are liking the current usa orbit? I saw that it fits pretty well in your first few pictures on the tank, but it didn't look like you had the fluval lid on there. Have you tried to fit the fixture on the tank with the lid on? I'm looking to get the light pretty soon but would have to have the lid on my tank because I'll be getting a goby soon, and they have been known to carpet surf haha. Anything you wish you would have known before buying the light?

Tank is looking good! Just wondering how you are liking the current usa orbit? I saw that it fits pretty well in your first few pictures on the tank, but it didn't look like you had the fluval lid on there. Have you tried to fit the fixture on the tank with the lid on? I'm looking to get the light pretty soon but would have to have the lid on my tank because I'll be getting a goby soon, and they have been known to carpet surf haha. Anything you wish you would have known before buying the light?

So far I think its a nice light for the price. It definitely fits the Fluval Spec V very nicely, even with the lid/cover over the tank. I wouldn't worry about that at all! The only reason I took mine off is because I have an Aquaclear 20 filter hanging on the backside. I tried to cut/mod it to fit with the filter hanging on but I completely messed it up :rolleyes:. I was going to replace it with something else considering that Tailsport Blennies are known to jump, but Sumo seems very fond of me now. I have no worries over him jumping, if he ever gets startled he just jets back into his cave.

In terms of overall spectrum and output, I have my blues currently set to 85% maximum, on a 20 min sunrise/sunset, 10% minimum set for 6/hr moonlight phase. My whites are set to 60% maximum, also on a 20 min sunrise/sunset, 0% minimum set (this eliminates whites for the moonlight phase). I have the timer setup so that they come on 30 minutes after blues come on in the morning and set to go off 30 minutes before the blues dim to the moonlight phase. I'll eventually turn them up over time so that blues are 100% and whites at 75% or so, I found that if you have your blues set 20-25 or so % higher than whites you can achieve a nice 14k tint.

I'm not sure how strong in terms of PAR this fixture really puts out, but its definitely more than enough for softies and LPS. You might be able to try your luck with some lower light SPS after you set your lights to high settings.

Update!

New FTS..... I took the Koralia Nano out of the tank because it is just wayyyyy too strong for the softies. I replaced it with a cheap 50 gph pump that I had sitting around from an old pico. Now the flow is much more appropriate and everything is opening up larger and looking happy.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/Fluval%20Spec%20V/photo2-4.jpg.html'>photo2-4.jpg

New frags of Kenya Tree

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/Fluval%20Spec%20V/photo3-5.jpg.html'>photo3-5.jpg

This frag of Kenya Tree also had a few polyps of a Zoa on it, that's definitely a plus! B)

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/Fluval%20Spec%20V/photo4-4.jpg.html'>photo4-4.jpg

BTW,

I have decided to name my Ocellaris Clownfish "Citrus" :wub:

Archived