Pod Your Reef

NanoClown's Fluval Spec V | Retired

NanoClown

Nanoclown I am jealous that your clown is hosting your frogspawn! I plan to get both a clownfish and a frogspawn/hammer coral in the future and I really really hope mine will host as well. Also, your tank is looking amazing dude! And don't keep us waiting too long for the pictures of the new stuff you got ;)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn dude I'm so so jealous .. looks so good and soo lucky they go in and host / like it!!

Yeah i'm pretty lucky that Oreo decided to host! I honestly didnt think he wouldve been the one considering he was very shy and always being harassed by Citrus. Now it seems like they have been getting along much better. I hope they pair up soon

Nanoclown I am jealous that your clown is hosting your frogspawn! I plan to get both a clownfish and a frogspawn/hammer coral in the future and I really really hope mine will host as well. Also, your tank is looking amazing dude! And don't keep us waiting too long for the pictures of the new stuff you got ;)

Like I said I think it was luck, considering both of my clowns are tank bred/raised I didn't expect either of them to want to host. Oreo definitely has the natural instinct within him :)

Here's a quick update on the few things that I picked up on friday from another local. Pics arent the best, but now that I have a job I think I might invest in a decent camera

First, I got a frag of his neon green hammer coral. It is currently my favorite coral, it is super florescent under my blue leds at night

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/Fluval%20Spec%20V/photo2-13.jpg.html'>photo2-13.jpg

Next, He gave me a frag of "Fire and Ice" Zoas for really cheap so I couldnt pass up the opportunity to add some new colors to my Zoa garden. I plan on moving 2 of my frags over to my other pico when I get the chance, I'll probably frag off a head from my massive frogspawn at that time as well.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/Fluval%20Spec%20V/photo1-15.jpg.html'>photo1-15.jpg

I also got a couple of frags of Montipora Capricornis. One of them is green with pink polyps and the other being green with blue polyps. He had these in a tank under some PC lights and they weren't really being taken care of, hence the loss in color. They are definitely healthy frags though, they will color up in time :)

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/Fluval%20Spec%20V/photo4-8.jpg.html'>photo4-8.jpg

My latest FTS

http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/to-turo/media/Fluval%20Spec%20V/photo3-12.jpg.html'>photo3-12.jpg

I also picked up a frag of neon green toadstool leather, but I couldn't get a decent shot of it. Again it was in the neglected tank so i'm going to give it some time to color up before presenting it to you guys.

damn nano clown, I really really love the new additions :wub:

Looking great man! Loving the corals!

Nice!

Thanks guys! I think i'm done getting new things for a while. In the future I want to get some more colorful zoas, some xenia/gsp to grow on my glass, ricordias and possibly another acan frag. Other than that I don't think that i'm going to put much more into this tank.

Woke up this morning and it seems like the montipora cap with the blue polyps got RTN :( . Probably had to do with being stressed out then moving to a new aquarium. I fragged off the piece that was dying, hopefully the rest of it survives and makes a comeback.

Woke up this morning and it seems like the montipora cap with the blue polyps got RTN :( . Probably had to do with being stressed out then moving to a new aquarium. I fragged off the piece that was dying, hopefully the rest of it survives and makes a comeback.

sorry to hear but they didn't look that great when you got them...at least you caught it early and hopefully stopped the RTN.

sorry to hear but they didn't look that great when you got them...at least you caught it early and hopefully stopped the RTN.

I wasn't expecting too much from them to begin with. They were basically throw-ins so I couldn't resist taking them lol

I can already see the cap with the pink polyps coloring up. Just gonna wait it out on the other cap to see if it survives

Thanks bud! The pocillopora is doing great, i'm already starting to see it encrust onto my rocks and grow B)

• 2 weeks later...

Sad day for me :\

I went to take care of business this morning and I didn't get a chance to check out my tank before the lights came on. I came back home from a busy day and I couldn't find my tailspot blenny (Sumo) anywhere in the tank....... After about 10 minutes of searching everywhere, I found him dried up on my carpet.

He never showed any signs of being a jumper and was always very calm and collective around my clowns and cleaner shrimp. Just a few days ago I added in a small emerald crab hoping that it would help out with my algea problems. Im going to guess something happened between the crab and Sumo that stressed/spooked him enough to jump. :(

Other than the addition of the new crab, nothing new has gone into the tank. My red mushroom dropped a baby and the 2 blue mushrooms that I had that were lost popped up under the rocks. My torch is currently in the process of splitting between its 2 mouths and my zoas are slowly growing as well. One positive is that the bleached monitpora caps are now starting to get color and look green

Kalanianaole

So sorry to hear about the blenny. :unsure:

I just got a tailspot for my Spec V as well, so now I'm worried. Had you been keeping the stock lid on it?

So sorry to hear about the blenny. :unsure:

I just got a tailspot for my Spec V as well, so now I'm worried. Had you been keeping the stock lid on it?

thanks bud :\ I'm still a little sad about the guy jumping.

I actually didn't run the stock lid over it. Ive had him for a couple of months and he was never jittery. I'm almost sure it was the new emerald crab scaring or harassing him. Meh, over my next tank i'll definitely take more precaution over jumpers. GL with your tailspot blenny, they are definitely very interesting and a nice fish to observe!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates.

I have been very stressed out lately due to some family issues and work. Thus, I have kinda neglected my tank.... As a result I am now fighting a battle with some nuisance algae. :( My tank is currently being taken over by bropsis and some other brown algae (kind of like diatom algae but it is darker and thicker, actually grows along my rocks and glass).

I don't play on having this 5 gallon running much longer, but this outbreak has really got the worst of me. I plan to move everything to a larger setup, and at that time Ill probably just toss out my current live rock and start everything fresh. At the same time ill dip all of my corals hoping that this crap doesnt infest my tank when I do make my upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates!

I finally found some time in my hectic life to take some pics of my aquarium to share with you guys. I feel so bad considering I let it get kinda ugly when I was facing some hard times, but now that things are starting to get back to normal I have more time to dedicate to my tank B)

First, I would like to show off my montis! The one on the bottom (green with pink polyps) has colored up very nicely compared to the cap on top (green with blue polyps). I'm guessing when the top cap caught RTN that it kinda stunted its coloring up. Now that it has recovered from RTN I am noticing it coloring up nicely, slowly but surely I hope it look will turn green because right now its kind of brown.

e5eaa966-ca8c-4596-b6e1-efb408916ffa.jpg

My kenya trees have gotten HUGE. I cant believe how fast these things are growing. My zoa garden is awaiting some new pieces, hopefully I can find some new frags to add to it over the weekend.

f39b10c2-c303-4337-94f3-e67e82fbf4a1.jpg

My red mushroom has really started to take off, I now have a mini colony :) The single shroom has dropped about 4 babies in the last month or so

9d7c2eab-3b55-472f-b4f6-62cceb9319cc.jpg

My personal favorite coral :wub:

67020554-7448-41a5-a266-aad85c243d18.jpg

$5 acans are starting to look AMAZING, I love the blend of blue and red

91f36509-9af4-427e-8274-c3c11cf4dd6e.jpg

last but not least is a new FTS

0c199508-e573-4a06-a46b-4ee79f17249c.jpg

As you guys can see around my hammer coral that I am still battling a nice size patch of bryopsis. Ive been doing my best to keep it confined but it keeps on showing up and growing back after a week or so :angry:. When I do my upgrade I will definitely try my best to not introduce this into my system

i am fighting bryopsis in mine too and it's annoying. it's crazy how it all started from my very first coral frag from Petco that had bryopsis. but it had disappeared from my 12 gallons so I think as the tank matures, it just kind of go away.

i am fighting bryopsis in mine too and it's annoying. it's crazy how it all started from my very first coral frag from Petco that had bryopsis. but it had disappeared from my 12 gallons so I think as the tank matures, it just kind of go away.

No matter what I have done so far it keeps on coming back lol. I still have no idea how it got into my system :\

So far ive just been plucking it off the rocks as it comes up, some of my rocks I have even given a good scrub with a toothbrush. So far Ive gotten rid of about 70% of it. The last patch is on a rock that I would rather not move because it is under everything else.... I really just do not want to have to re-scape, but that this point im considering it.

Looking awesome nanoclown. I'm a fan of the montis! I really wanna try to keep some in my tank but I'm not sure if I should yet or where in the tank they would fit in nicely. I really like the look of them though, maybe in a few more months when I can achieve for stability. Anyway, your tank looks fantastic and very colorful! :) I love it all! :wub:

Looking awesome nanoclown. I'm a fan of the montis! I really wanna try to keep some in my tank but I'm not sure if I should yet or where in the tank they would fit in nicely. I really like the look of them though, maybe in a few more months when I can achieve for stability. Anyway, your tank looks fantastic and very colorful! :) I love it all! :wub:

:wub: you are sooooo kind!

I really love my moniti caps as well! I hope I can get my hands on a nice orange/red cap and some other montis (digitata or setosa :D). As long as you have good parameters you should be able to keep them high up in your tank no problem. Monitpora do not need as intense light as other sps corals anyways.

Alright guys heres the deal.

I am finally in the process of upgrading my tank to something a little larger.This means that the Spec V will be torn down sometime in the near future and I will be documenting my progress on my new build. As a sneak peak, the only thing you guys need to know about my upgrade is that it is a cube. Not an aio cube, but a nano sized cube ;)

Would you guys rather I continue my new tank on this thread or make a new thread for it altogether?

I should have some pics of my new equipment for y'all this weekend. I'm going to pick up everything tomorrow B)

That's tough I fell like a new thread means a new beginning but that's not bad. Also it kind of gives this thread a semi formal ending but we can still discuss this tank here and you upgrades so I vote new thread

MisturrTinnie

Love your spec, I need to get more corals in mine, but currently upgrading equipment. You said the 425 was too much flow? What would you think about a 240 in it? I have a 404 mini jet and I need a little more flow, my frogspawn just barely sways in the flow and they seem not to be too happy.

Archived