Innovative Marine Aquariums

Brandon's 20g Custom AIO Cube: Tons of New SPS Goodies :D

bpounds1991

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
patrickbruno91

in regards to the micro-bubbles, those are normal. my nano skimmer did the same thing for about two weeks.

bpounds1991

Got the lights up and running today and it's starting to look fantastic! Keep in mind this is with my iphone so bear with...also the lights appear to be a LOT bluer in pictures than in real life, real life is closer to a 13-15k range

My 5$ lid from Lowe's, still need to do some painting

IMG_1966_zpsf1ea09cf.jpg

With the black mesh top

IMG_1967_zps601439b7.jpg

Without it

IMG_1971_zps1cf51a37.jpg

IMG_1968_zps985aa5ce.jpg

IMG_1969_zps3faff87b.jpg

Still configuring the cord layout...before it takes over the whole room lol

IMG_1972_zps1d3de388.jpg

IMG_1973_zpsaa59f577.jpg

I know someone mentioned earlier that the black mesh might inhibit some of the light penetration but I have yet to see it trying with/without it...if anything MAYBE 1-2%?

bpounds1991

Cycle is finally somewhere in the middle, getting a decent amount of nitrites now as well as some nitrates with a decrease in ammonia...should be having some CUC soon!

bpounds1991

Man I'm dealing with some serious microbubble issues...this thing has been running for well over a week and it seems to have no signs of slowing down. I purchased it used on the forums so it was already "broken in" so to say. Are there any modifications I might be able to do in order to reduce some of the bubbles? It skims pretty well and I would hate to have to get rid of it

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/IMG_2014_zps4c6d2ae6.jpg.html'>IMG_2014_zps4c6d2ae6.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/IMG_2013_zps31b3bd91.jpg.html'>IMG_2013_zps31b3bd91.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/IMG_2009_zpsc82cb3a1.jpg.html'>IMG_2009_zpsc82cb3a1.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/IMG_2012_zps70629341.jpg.html'>IMG_2012_zps70629341.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/IMG_2011_zpsc0660112.jpg.html'>IMG_2011_zpsc0660112.jpg

And of course a FTS :D

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/IMG_2010_zpsc9ab57e9.jpg.html'>IMG_2010_zpsc9ab57e9.jpg

bpounds1991

Kind of getting discouraged over this tank at the moment... microbubbles constantly with no signs of slowing down, I hope they do because all my efforts seem to be not working whatsoever. Also discovered multiple "leaks" where sand and other tank debris can penetrate between the display/back walls, as well as the back chamber has multiple leaks which allow even more microbubbles to slip through between the walls. Oh and not to mention the light gooseneck isn't long enough to house on the back of the tank nor is the base wide enough to attach, so that's out of commission as well for the time being...frustrating couple of days here :closedeyes:

Are you sure your bubbles comes from the skimmer and not the pump ?

Foam isn't helping ?

I will be fallowing your thread anyway. I really like this tank and thinking about it. Just not sure how I will setup one yet as it would be a first sw tank.

bpounds1991

Yeah they're coming straight from the skimmer, I've glued the other pieces of it completely shut to ensure the water only comes out from the 3 exit holes on the bottom. What do you mean by foam isn't helping? If you wouldn't mind elaborating, and thank you for the follow! if you have any questions feel free to ask!

If I am correct, there is no baffle in this AIO tank.

What prevent the bubble in getting suck in the display ?

Is there some "foam" or anything that will catch bubbles before they go in ?

Could you add more, may be on the pump side ?

bpounds1991

Correct, my hope was that the bubbles would simply reduce with the break-in phase? I tried putting the foam on the other side (you can see in some of the pictures which size I use), which causes the water to flow over the sides of the overflow.

Can't help you more. Probably best to speak with Micro-Reef directly.

I don't have a tank yet and I was looking for micro-reef ones 15.5 modded when I found your post. I was hopping to help with my technical engineering knowledge but without seeing the systems work, it's hard to solve the issue.

Do you really need to run a skimmer for this tank ? With that size, usually people only do weekly water change.

Last, do you have a top-off system ? I am wondering how I can install one in this tank.

bpounds1991

Yes I do, I'm going out of town but I will post more pictures up for you on Sunday when I get back...I need to do a huge water change due to a few leaks I must fix, and I'm getting an AutoAqua Smart ATO to replace my JBJ. I just like the cleanliness of having a skimmer..usually a set it and forget it type of ordeal but like I said I'll have plenty more pics for you up on Sunday!

bpounds1991

Some better news/things brewing in regards to the tank this week! Got some acrylic cement coming in so I can seal up those leaks in the back chambers of the tank, hoping that may do some justice and help deal with some of the micro bubbles that have been leaking through and just overall a more efficient filtration system. Dave is sending me another gooseneck/clamp that will fit the proper area of the tank so I won't have to worry about anything coming apart after I apply this cement, only problem is all of the back chambers must be dry in order to do it so I'll be doing a rough 40% water change in the process. Third great piece of news is that I found a AutoAqua Smart ATO brand new on craigslist for 80$, so I'm swapping out my JBJ ATO for something I feel might deem more reliable in the long run, and has slightly less wires :happy: . A side note too, Ammonia was swinging back down toward .25 (has been around .5-1.0) a couple days before I headed out for vacation so hopefully that might be all but gone by the time I get back on Sunday.

bpounds1991

Oh and..if you guys wouldn't mind voting on the poll and giving your .02 on the aquascape that would be much appreciated B):D

bpounds1991

Been noticing a bunch of leaks lately, sand inbetween the false wall, etc... Mike sent me some acrylic cement to try and close up the holes but it seems that no matter how much water I drain it keeps magically pouring in. If I can't get it stopped by tomorrow I may either have to drain the entire tank (worst case scenario) or he will be working on building me a new tank

bpounds1991

Purchased a Biocube 29 Gal tank/stand on craigslist...the silicone is leaking on the return side.... trying to silicone tonight or get my money back tomorrow, between Micro-Reefs flaking on returning my money for their busted up tank and Craigslist I've had one heck of a week.

Archived