SaltCritters.com

Brandon's 20g Custom AIO Cube: Tons of New SPS Goodies :D

bpounds1991

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suggestion, look into getting some clear mesh for that screen top. I might be wrong, but I think that dark screen will cut the light output entering the tank quite a bit. I bought mine at bulkreefsupply.com. It is pretty inexpensive, and the clear mesh looks really nice.

bpounds1991

I'm gonna give it a test and go from there once I get my light back, I don't mind redoing it but I do know that the video I watched from BRS said they don't mind using the mesh I used but they just happen to prefer theirs a little more in terms of light diffusion so we'll see.

bpounds1991

So I know that the aquascape is purely a personal preference type situation, but I've been trying to model my tank after a number of inspiring reef tanks on here...unfortunately I'm finally realizing how much less space there truly is in nano tanks! This is what I've pieced together for my first rough attempt.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/IMG_1873_zps71096fcb.jpg.html'>IMG_1873_zps71096fcb.jpg

bpounds1991
bpounds1991

It's a TV stand built into the wall with thin carpet cover, made out to be a perfect tank stand lol. Look back in the build you'll see more pictures of it.

bpounds1991

Epoxy and other miscellaneous items should be coming in today finally, and the tank is FINALLY clearing up after 2 1/2 days

bpounds1991

So in the transfer of making the aqua scape to the tank I had to rearrange a little until the water could clear up. The first 2 pictures are my original scape idea, the 2nd two are obviously what's in the tank right now. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated, probably going to go back to my first scape today

http://s.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/Newest%20Tank/83D0FD54-C355-4776-BC8F-AED4B55EC8D0_zpscu6bvp4a.jpg.html'>83D0FD54-C355-4776-BC8F-AED4B55EC8D0_zps

http://s.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/Newest%20Tank/33F8179D-6EF6-44E1-83C9-3A058E636B07_zpsj8dayklj.jpg.html'>33F8179D-6EF6-44E1-83C9-3A058E636B07_zps

http://s.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/Newest%20Tank/10932061-4FDE-40FA-AFF7-D3D5F8BA82AA_zpscv86xqy0.jpg.html'>10932061-4FDE-40FA-AFF7-D3D5F8BA82AA_zps

http://s.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/Newest%20Tank/B7BE0B94-6040-4C08-AC62-04E4BD0764B7_zpsxfe7ojav.jpg.html'>B7BE0B94-6040-4C08-AC62-04E4BD0764B7_zps

bpounds1991

I initially didn't plan on it, but thinking about how much less rock I'm going to have now it would be more beneficial for the live sand to actually serve a purpose other than purely aesthetics :happy:

patrickbruno91

Your set-up looks good. i also have a micro-reefs tank, a little bit bigger that i need to get a stand for and ATO then it'll be ready for water.

wow.such.chris

I initially didn't plan on it, but thinking about how much less rock I'm going to have now it would be more beneficial for the live sand to actually serve a purpose other than purely aesthetics :happy:

Sure, just watch out when siphoning that you don't go too deep in the sand. Sometimes in the anoxic areas hydrogen sulfide can be produced which can kill things when released.

bpounds1991

Sure, just watch out when siphoning that you don't go too deep in the sand. Sometimes in the anoxic areas hydrogen sulfide can be produced which can kill things when released.

I plan on having a pretty thorough cleaning crew, my goal has always been to let the tank naturally handle things like that...unless it becomes a nuisance B)

Your set-up looks good. i also have a micro-reefs tank, a little bit bigger that i need to get a stand for and ATO then it'll be ready for water.

Thanks patrick! I purchased a 7 gallon ATO jug for like...12$ on amazon, and the lid is conveniently just wide enough to fit the JBJ ATO float valve in there so that should be up and running within the week. I'll post some pics of it.

bpounds1991

You guys will have to excuse the cloudiness of the water thus far... Been stirring it up a lot with my hands in it and I have no filter floss yet to clear it up (will be here this weekend)

So when we last picked up this afternoon I had removed some of the rock to arrive at this (again excuse the cloudiness :closedeyes: )

IMG_1900_zps3b2184cb.jpg

I know it's a rather taboo thing to do, but I have the top two rocks resting against the wall in order to secure them along with the epoxy...plus in a tank this small I like the swimming space to be as open as possible (eye opener Dave FTW ;) )

Here's what I'm looking at now

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/joker577/media/IMG_1904_zps53469012.jpg.html'>IMG_1904_zps53469012.jpg

IMG_1905_zps2dca2ee7.jpg

IMG_1906_zpsc306e524.jpg

IMG_1907_zps3898e7db.jpg

I love the fact of making almost a shallow cave with the ascending rocks to have some cool coral setups in the future. Also having the islands allows me to add some mushroom variety when I begin adding corals :wub::wub:

Patrick, this is the jug I purchased and you can see in comparison to the tank it is rather large, but will be hiding behind it out of view. Can anyone refresh my memory as to how high the aqualifters can move water?

IMG_1908_zpsb1acd02c.jpg

IMG_1909_zpsf813ccf0.jpg

bpounds1991

So the water cleared up just a little bit more, still waiting on the filter floss! Then I'll go ahead and perhaps start running the protein skimmer? (Was going to ask you guys if you think I should wait until I actually get some snails in there)

I'm really happy with the way this aquascape came out, a lottt of room for corals P.S. the powerhead you see in the picture won't be in there when I turn everything on..it's 650 gallons lol

IMG_1911_zps49be5e09.jpg

Archived