New 3g Starphire Desk Pico

daniel.alfonso

daniel.alfonso

http://imgur.com/a/gak9s

3g Xen Series from cadlights

MP10ES

PAR30 SuperBlu 14w

Simple and clean was what I wanted,

Bought some star polyps and glued them to floor to create a grass look, I think the cutting and corafix pissed them off so they arent all open just yet but looking really cool!

Rocks came from my 90g's sump and water came from home system as well to help with initial bacteria cycle.

Been running about 2 weeks now so i decided to add a very small .75" Yellow Clown Goby and the tiniest(sp?) coral banded shrimp I've ever seen. Like a big mosquito! Will post pics of "Hermit" and "John Ralphio" when I get some good closeups.

Plan to cover rocks with colorful zoa and ric garden, possibly a tree-like leather centerpiece. Maybe a small yellow fiji leather.

Let me know what you think and thanks for looking!

-Danny

About your lighting.

You said PAR 38 14w super-blue. Did you mean PAR 30 14w super-blue from Coral Compulsion. Their PAR 30 bulbs are called "superblu"

The reason I ask is that I have a Coral Compulsion PAR 30 14w bulb in 18k and it looks just like yours.

I also have a PAR 38 from them and they are 24w not 14w.

Im using the 14w 18k light on a 3gal tank but it's just too white...I've been wanting to get the PAR 30 super-blue model but thought it might be too blue but your tank shots look perfect in color.

daniel.alfonso

About your lighting.

You said PAR 38 14w super-blue. Did you mean PAR 30 14w super-blue from Coral Compulsion. Their PAR 30 bulbs are called "superblu"

The reason I ask is that I have a Coral Compulsion PAR 30 14w bulb in 18k and it looks just like yours.

I also have a PAR 38 from them and they are 24w not 14w.

Im using the 14w 18k light on a 3gal tank but it's just too white...I've been wanting to get the PAR 30 super-blue model but thought it might be too blue but your tank shots look perfect in color.

yeah, you are right

14W PAR30 LED 22k SuperBlu Reef Light

looks awesome, the greens really pop

So clean!!!

Love it!

Whats the setting on that mp10?

lowest power setting on random "reef crest"

thesmallerthebetter

love the tank! cant wait to see it progress. love the GSP carpet, trying to get mine to do that in my sps pico

daniel.alfonso

brainstorming a way to completely hide the pump.

was thinking about a 2-3" stand (box) for the 2.5 to sit on, put the dry side under the tank hidden by the "stand" and the wet side under the rocks. Maybe make a custom rock that's bored out to accommodate the wet side and drill some passages in the rock for water to get to and from the propeller. need to make sure the flow is somewhat isolated to just a part of the rockwork so fish/shrimp have a place to go in the rocks.

will play with the idea a little more and maybe build it out this weekend. will keep everyone updated with what i come up with, drop ideas/thoughts in here on just this topic

would probably build the stand out of wood frame and wrapped in black plexiglass to keep the clean/modern look.

Partially Submerged

Great looking tank! This may be a really stupid question, but what is the white piece of pipe in picture 2 for? My Coral Compulsion Vibrance Reef 14W came with one of those, and I have no idea what it does...

daniel.alfonso

Great looking tank! This may be a really stupid question, but what is the white piece of pipe in picture 2 for? My Coral Compulsion Vibrance Reef 14W came with one of those, and I have no idea what it does...

i think it's to slip on the bulb before your screw it on. like a splash shield for the mogul socket. if it was black, i'd use it to cover the out of place white color of the base of the bulb.

i scrapped the idea of hiding the MP10 in the rocks for obvious reasons. decided maintenance would be too intrusive and impractical.

happy with how the tank looks now :)

Partially Submerged

i think it's to slip on the bulb before your screw it on. like a splash shield for the mogul socket. if it was black, i'd use it to cover the out of place white color of the base of the bulb.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you!

CoralCompulsion

Ah, that makes sense, thank you!

The white piece that ships with our bulbs is actually just for shipping purposes. It prevents the metal socket from potentially being crushed during shipping. It should not be used on your bulb, you can just discard it once your set your bulb up. Sorry if there was any confusion regarding that :)

That is absolutely HILARIOUS..

I guess I'm not the only guy using those white spacers on both my lights because I thought they served some carefully engineered purpose...LOL

thesmallerthebetter

I always mask off the heat sink and contact point and shoot all my PAR bulbs black ;)

CoralCompulsion

Lol, that's awesome! :D Thanks for clarifying. And great light by the way!

No problem! Glad you are happy with it!

daniel.alfonso

I always mask off the heat sink and contact point and shoot all my PAR bulbs black ;)

good idea, will do this soon because the white is really out of place.

here's some updated pics with a nice ricordea garden added :)

http://imgur.com/a/4HNvv#0

-Danny

CoralCompulsion

good idea, will do this soon because the white is really out of place.

here's some updated pics with a nice ricordea garden added :)

http://imgur.com/a/4HNvv#0

-Danny

Just be aware however, that painting the bulb will void our warranty. There is quite a bit of open space around the heatsink, and it is very easy to get paint inside the fixture, which can cause problems therefore we cannot replace any bulbs down the road should anything happen. I will tell you though that we are working on two completely new designed par bulbs that are completely black that should be released later on this year :)

daniel.alfonso

super cool!

how much did all those ricordeas cost?

$205 Free Shipping from ebay. was a 25 pack, very pleased with sizes and colors :)

Just be aware however, that painting the bulb will void our warranty. There is quite a bit of open space around the heatsink, and it is very easy to get paint inside the fixture, which can cause problems therefore we cannot replace any bulbs down the road should anything happen. I will tell you though that we are working on two completely new designed par bulbs that are completely black that should be released later on this year :)

OK, how about black tape?

$205 Free Shipping from ebay. was a 25 pack, very pleased with sizes and colors :)

OK, how about black tape?

Can you post the ebay name please?

Archived