SaltCritters.com

my super low tech reef jarquarium (with diy pj reef)

new-b-reefer

new-b-reefer

Most recent FTS 6-21-17

20170621_065505_zpsujxv2lsu.jpg

20170621_065532_RichtoneHDR_zpsvtyts77k.

Original post...

So this is a continuation and/or update on all my jarquariums/reef jars. They all reside in a cubby in the stand of my 10 gallon planted tank. I have 3 total. Some of you may remember them especially the lightbulb one that is still going with mini stars living to this day. All of these are equipmentless (now with the exception of the larger jar that has only an airstone). I took an led that came with my aqueon evolve and attached it to an aquarium book to hold it up in the cubby. All are self contained other than a very small hole for air, I have found this makes a huge difference as the lightbulb is the oldest and has a tiny pin hole in the lid. The other 2 I cut out plastic to replace the metal disk in the mason jars with a small hole for air.

Here are some pics

20140402_201224_zpscyqvk5ng.jpg20140402_201235_zpso9l7l6ge.jpg20140402_201241_zpsk4frr8wx.jpg20140402_201246_zpsazrga2ij.jpg20140402_201213_zpsfcncvzq3.jpg

Diy pj reef

20140506_205319_zpsw5pylg7s.jpg

• Like 9
new-b-reefer

What is your stock in the larger mason jar?

A couple small taro tree frags, some random ugly palys, a large mushroom from my 55 gallon, some hair algae lol. And a hermit I tossed in there a couple weeks ago that is still cruising around :)

That lightbulb is cool,

• Like 1

You could put some Opae Ula (acclimate them to reef salinity) shrimp in there. They are extremely hardy and can live in very harsh and changing conditions and do not need to be fed since you have some plant life otherwise 1 pellet would do. They are also tiny and live like 20+ years.

I bet you could even put 1 small one in the lightbulb tank.

Also some xenia would be neat in the big jar as it would create water flow.

Just some ideas :)

http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.php

39_2.JPG

• Like 1
new-b-reefer

Hm, I like it. I jave some xenia in my 55 going crazy but its not pulsing xenia :( still I could try it. Might need to look into these shrimp

• Like 1
new-b-reefer

Updated pics, added an air stone to the big jar today with a valve to tone it way down. Also added a tiny frag of xenia to tue lightbulb, the candycan frag in the smaller jar is still going, and the big jar with the hermit is doing well other than the hair algae but the hermit is munching on it :)

20140412_214238_zpsivvef9jw.jpg20140412_214258_zpsemqnognp.jpg20140412_214304_zps1dkownor.jpg20140412_214314_zps6jzkurfr.jpg

• Like 3
thesmallerthebetter

the light bulb is awsome.

i was thinking about these kind of systems recently and had some ideas stocking, really hardy pieces known to handle abuse. (aside form xenia and gsp)

Sympodium (can be hard to establish but us an active eater and grows annoyingly fast for me, faster in dirtier systems)

Blue Cloves (prolific, easy spawners, awsome color, best bet for these tanks actually)

Protopalythoa (everyone knows these are impossible to kill. common hitchers on live rock and paly colonys.)

Daisy Polyps (these show up sporadically for me from a frag i had years ago..i try to nuke them but they just come back, worse than aptasia)

Glove Polyps

• Like 1
new-b-reefer

the light bulb is awsome.

i was thinking about these kind of systems recently and had some ideas stocking, really hardy pieces known to handle abuse. (aside form xenia and gsp)

Sympodium (can be hard to establish but us an active eater and grows annoyingly fast for me, faster in dirtier systems)

Blue Cloves (prolific, easy spawners, awsome color, best bet for these tanks actually)

Protopalythoa (everyone knows these are impossible to kill. common hitchers on live rock and paly colonys.)

Daisy Polyps (these show up sporadically for me from a frag i had years ago..i try to nuke them but they just come back, worse than aptasia)

Glove Polyps

Thanks for the compliment and the info. O jave been meaning to get some pallys for them, the large jar has some small ones in there that are slowly coming back. Need to add one to tue lightbulb for sure :)

new-b-reefer

New pics. Finally took out the rock and went at the hair algae with a tooth brush, gave the hermit a huge head start :) tossed a couple pieces of rock out, kept the better pieces. Also found i have 2 muscles living in there. Alive and well. The water movement from the air stone is making a huge difference of course. The other 2 are going strong also.

20140415_171429_zpsgbptedc9.jpg20140415_171433_zpscbmjgn2b.jpg20140415_171439_zps7onhesd8.jpg20140415_171447_zpsdrjivzzt.jpg20140415_171452_zpsl1ha3rze.jpg20140415_171519_zpsklnu3bth.jpg

• Like 1
new-b-reefer

Ok nano reef... here is another idea I had for my micro low tech reefs. This I call a "cool glass of reef" here are pics of the build. Pretty basic, a plastic cup and lid with the straw built in. Ran the air line in the straw with air stone at the bottom and valve at top for flow control. Threw in some rocks with some mushies I had, add the air line into the existing one for the mason jar and boom! A glass of reef. Enjoy. Ps, this is what happens when I let me mind wander haha.

20140421_192730_zpswtoybudz.jpg20140421_192734_zps3ryyzh32.jpg20140421_192902_zpsfccw8apb.jpg20140421_193109_zpsdn6hqgbd.jpg20140421_193117_zpstyh5ac3g.jpg20140421_193631_zpsoocucly1.jpg20140421_193640_zpsdxmn3itk.jpg20140421_194238_zpsepba3god.jpg20140421_195119_zpsej5uabza.jpg20140421_195126_zpsrvpflsxx.jpg20140421_195133_zpsrs1xnuyd.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
new-b-reefer

Quick update, all the little jarquariums are going strong. One of them I took to work for my desk :) a while ago I took out the dont candy cane flash and point in a mushroom i had floating around my 55. Been going strong save only feeding off of ambient office lighting :) there is a little postit note identifying everything. I usially have one of my tanknpics as my background and everyone in the office is always fascinated so I pit a note explaining what is in the jar ;)

20140430_131825_zpsqbvwm8ld.jpg20140430_131951_zpsw4fx2nou.jpg

• Like 3
new-b-reefer

Also picked up a jar very similar to that of the pj reef and made my own. Put some zoas and star polyps along with some red grape macro. The little rock I picked up came with 3 feather dusters and and some other hitch hikers. This was started a week ago :) have a little 15watt e27 base led from ebay coming for it also. Right now its under the light in the cubby ;) ps that is not cheato in there, that is showing through from the other reef jar behind it ;)

20140428_201216_zpssgdsevti.jpg20140428_201221_zpsanbpkk4t.jpg20140428_201232_zpshgr929fb.jpg20140428_201240_zpsm29noksm.jpg20140428_201244_zpswvucwawc.jpg20140428_201253_zpsogtkx7nf.jpg20140428_201315_zpsuncsy7ta.jpg

Just a note..., not knocking the pj reef by any means. Im just a do it your selfer ;) he has a great little setup and company going. Props to you for getting your product up and running and wishing you nothing but the best in your success :)

• Like 3
new-b-reefer

Ever thought of adding sexy or bee shrimp to these tanks?

Hm, I have not. I have a hermit in the largest jar but also I have an air stone for flow in there. The diy pj reef one I am planning to run same as the pj reef. Just light. Im thinking sexy shrimp would upset the balance in there and require flow right?

Where does temperature usually stay at in these reefs?

Hm good question. I havent checked it. The room is usually in the high 70's I wanna say. I will have to get back to you with a definitive answer.

new-b-reefer

Could you do a jar with a small rock and just pulsing Xenia? Would the Xenia produce enough flow for itself?

Hm... its possible, maybe. I have tried that. I know other have discussed pulsing xenia creating flow. Uh oh, looks like I may need to start another jar lol. Luckily they dont take up much space or use equipment other than light :D

pismo_reefer

Dear gawd, the temperature swings tho!

Guarantee that they'd do a lot better on some kind of heating pad/element.

Given it any thought?

I personally like this idea, and would like to see these jars thrive.

I think consistent heat would be a huge step in the right direction.

Also, getting ahold of some large amphipods, would add some real action to the jars.

brandon429

the biotope forum at nr.com has all the info on contained or uncirculated systems

I like these setups but only if they are kept algae free. keeping the scape free of algae is the key

if they are just kept free of green hair algae, these reefs really accomplish something because they break rules from the 90s where this type of tank was 'impossible' per the authors and forum sages.

if we let them fill up with algae, that falls in line with their predictions, we should shock them by getting what coral growth we can while maintaining the pristine look they also attain with all the gear and rules :)

in the biotope forum, some systems are algae stocked as hands off was the goal and I get that. its just an eyesore for me thats all

• Like 2
Toybuddha

I was thinking if the Xenia could thrive without added flow and just some sort of heat, that would be sweet. Maybe a beta heater?

new-b-reefer

Dear gawd, the temperature swings tho!

Guarantee that they'd do a lot better on some kind of heating pad/element.

Given it any thought?

I personally like this idea, and would like to see these jars thrive.

I think consistent heat would be a huge step in the right direction.

Also, getting ahold of some large amphipods, would add some real action to the jars.

The room is kept at a fairly consisten temp. I have considered it however trying to stay equipment free atleast for the ones with out the air stone lol. The newest jar is just going to have light. Trying to keep everything very simplistic but ideas are not completely off the table lol. Feedback is good :)

the biotope forum at nr.com has all the info on contained or uncirculated systems

I like these setups but only if they are kept algae free. keeping the scape free of algae is the key

if they are just kept free of green hair algae, these reefs really accomplish something because they break rules from the 90s where this type of tank was 'impossible' per the authors and forum sages.

if we let them fill up with algae, that falls in line with their predictions, we should shock them by getting what coral growth we can while maintaining the pristine look they also attain with all the gear and rules :)

in the biotope forum, some systems are algae stocked as hands off was the goal and I get that. its just an eyesore for me thats all

I agree with everything you said. My large mason jar is the once that has the algae issue. But a rock i put in there had algae on it already. The rest seem to be doing great, knock on wood. Lol

I was thinking if the Xenia could thrive without added flow and just some sort of heat, that would be sweet. Maybe a beta heater?

The betta heater is an idea. Underneath the jar. I'm pretty sure the pulsing xenis can survive with no flow. Since they kinda create their own. Something i may try in another jar. Thinking of starting another already lol.