Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

calling all LED folks... can it be done

NorthGaHillbilly

NorthGaHillbilly

I have q aquamedic 150 watt pendent that I've had for years. I like halides, and as my tank is in a basment haven't had any problems with heat, so I don't see switching to leds as long as in can by bulbs. However, I keep a short photo period currently, and will untill I've got something really light hungry.

So here's my question, could I modify into my current setup, two or 4 actinic leds to be ran seperatly from the halide. I know they would fit from looking at the diy LED setups you guys are building, but I don't know if the aluminium enclosure of the pendent will work as a heat sink for the units. I also have no clue as to what led units I'd want or the process of powering them.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys, as I'm far behind the LED curb. They were JUST used as hob fuge lights when j last had a tank

NGaHB

So it sounds like to me that you want to run LEDs inside the MH pendant. I would think that the heat of the MH bulb might melt the optics (and other plastic components) of the LEDs. Of course, I'm just guessing. Hopefully some more people will weigh in.

NorthGaHillbilly

So it sounds like to me that you want to run LEDs inside the MH pendant. I would think that the heat of the MH bulb might melt the optics (and other plastic components) of the LEDs. Of course, I'm just guessing. Hopefully some more people will weigh in.

Yea exactly, I'm going to take some pictures here when I get off work and hopefully better describe the situation. The areas I'm looking to put the leds gets warm to the touch, but not too hot to touch for any amount of time

NorthGaHillbilly

For what it will cost to get 2-4 LEDs running it's not even worth it IMO. Use a 20k halide bulb instead.

I was wondering if that was going to be the case. One wrinkle in that assessment is that I'm looking for a morning/evening viewing lighting, more so than an actinic supplement, or any gains other than being able to see whats going on when the halide is off. do these little LED strips offer anything in the way of penetration through the water? not for photosynthasis's sake, but just to see in the tank?

I woudl not put an led in close proximity to a halide bulb. If you could make the 4 leds as an attachment to teh main fixture, that would be fine.

Just keep in mind leds are not as good at high temperatures. Anything above 85*C is not rated on the datasheet. 85*C is the max.

I would use supplemental strips like Panoramas or ReefBrites attached to the sides. That way you get the effect you want, and you don't have to worry about heat issues from the halide. ReefBrite actually has a a MH+LED setup just like this.

NorthGaHillbilly

I would use supplemental strips like Panoramas or ReefBrites attached to the sides. That way you get the effect you want, and you don't have to worry about heat issues from the halide. ReefBrite actually has a a MH+LED setup just like this.

This sounds like my best option. I appreciate it!

The Reef Brite 8" Tech light looks like it would be an awesome option, wouldn't be longer than the MH pendent, and could mount directly to it via the mounting brackets it has. I expect I'll end up with one eventually, but its a chunk of change to spend on a few hours of actinic only lighting a day.

• 4 weeks later...
NorthGaHillbilly

Ended up going with a panorama pro strip, thanks for the guidence. I'm smitten with how it makes the tank look, tho the mounting is on the ghetto side.

IMG_0035_zps8e59ed8c.jpg

Archived