SaltCritters.com

zoaland 20 Long

MadReefer13

MadReefer13

Either is ok. It's what you prefer. Now that the algae is gone, you're probably a'ok to use that rock. After you set up the tank though, you should throw in some fish food or ammonia and see if that rock's bacteria colonies can still process ammonia efficiently before adding livestock.

That honestly sounds like a nightmare. I hope everything is ok now!

that is all the steps so far up a few post ago
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MadReefer13

Ya half moon might add some more rock its 18in high so needs be higher rock work I think

Nice! I love the dimensions of that tank. Is it a cylinder, or a half cylinder?
frankdontsurf

If you want out of the hobby I'll buy the tank and light.

I'd suggest pulling out the sand, adding 1.026 water and let it flow in the dark for a few weeks while doing weekly water changes and siphoning out the gunk.

If you don't have time I feel you, no sense I'm killing animals and blowing money.

frankdontsurf

That would make a good signature. :lol:

Lmao, obviously a typo.. I don't need the bad karma :P I'm not exactly the best god to my little universe. :D

MadReefer13

DSCN08901_zps9cf1bfe2.jpg

test the day after the move think the cycle will be big or no?

If you want out of the hobby I'll buy the tank and light.

I'd suggest pulling out the sand, adding 1.026 water and let it flow in the dark for a few weeks while doing weekly water changes and siphoning out the gunk.

If you don't have time I feel you, no sense I'm killing animals and blowing money.

the algae has been gone for aweek I got it gone before I used it and started this ive been doing it for about a week already

No sign of ammonia; that's good. Check it again in a week. I'd also test phosphate at that time; but don't use an API phosphate kit, as it is a high range kit (the target is 0.03ppm).

MadReefer13

Checked again ammonia has shot up gonna check again soon will post results after.....looks like a cycle is for sure gonna happen there is one blue leg hermit in it and is just kicking along he's only trooper after the tank fall apart

MadReefer13

Woke up to a huge diatom bloom cycle is for sure going on dident check last night(passed out)so don't test today ...ammonia was up high a few days ago so see what's up today ...pics and results soon after I get my coffee in

MadReefer13

So the ammonia has went to zero the nitrite has been zero and the nitrate is vary low is cycle ending it has a hermit and now a cirth snail in it that I've found living

MadReefer13

DSCN0894_zps740f3af5.jpgtest results number 2 ammonia is gone ithink? DSCN0896_zpscc4b12b8.jpgonly one looks like nitrate is about ten is my cycle over

is my cycle over

With ammonia undetectable, I'd say that the cycle has become established for the current bioload. At this point you could probably start slowly adding livestock (starting with a cleanup crew).

MadReefer13

With ammonia undetectable, I'd say that the cycle has become established for the current bioload. At this point you could probably start slowly adding livestock (starting with a cleanup crew).

what should I add

Make sure everything is clean and aquascaped the way you want. Do you know the level of phosphate? Make sure that everything is fine before you add anything. A large water change is usually a good idea after the cycle but before adding livestock.

what should I add

IDK, whatever you like (maybe some snails, and a Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab).

MadReefer13

there is on blue hermit and on cirth already and yhere all zero but nitrates

Make sure everything is clean and aquascaped the way you want. Do you know the level of phosphate? Make sure that everything is fine before you add anything. A large water change is usually a good idea after the cycle but before adding livestock.

IDK, whatever you like (maybe some snails, and a Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab).

so like how many and of what

MadReefer13

And how much water should I change outta the ten gallon tank at first I know alota ? But I wanna get this right after this die off

there is on blue hermit and on cirth already and yhere all zero but nitrates

so like how many and of what

Depends if there is any algae or not. A Trochus snail is a great algae eater. It doesn't look like you have much of a sand bed, but a Nassarius snail is good for a small sand bed. Cerith snails are good too. One of each should suffice, you can add more as needed.

And how much water should I change outta the ten gallon tank at first I know alota ? But I wanna get this right after this die off

A couple of gallons should be good.

MadReefer13

So far have put in a turbo snail.tronculous snail(sp)....and have had a blue leg hermit...and a cierth snail... on Monday gonna add more because they are not keeping up but wanna add the right stuff this time what others should I add I wanna add a emerald crab this time for sure put need more cleanup crew.....also have a piece of gap and it hasent opened for the two maybe three days its been in there any change may. Just be taking time to get use too new spot ?

MadReefer13

So the tanks been going just fine and everything's been living and looking good and after alot of thought I've added a decorator crab and he has been vary active and fun to watch so what I'm thinking is just putting cheap pieces so he can do what ever he wants one thing could a fish live with him? Or is it a big chance really don't care could just be a tank for him only not worried about it

Archived