Green slimer sps
Tricolor sps x2
Purple monti cap
Unknown sps frag
Hammer
Candy cane
Green leather
Huge rock blue mushrooms

So I've had a 10gallon reef for like 22 months well I went on vacation in Nov and just got back a week ago so ended up being a 4month vacation not what I wanted.....well I got back and tank was full of red and green cyno and all my corals and fish dead I mean all of them.I started going tho what my tank sitter had done I then found my salt being kept in a f****** metal container so I'm thinking pure metal being put into my tank so what I'm thinking is ....1 is the tank done time too get out the hobbie...2startuting new fresh saltwater and see if it dose comeback just so hard too taredown something I've put so much time and money into

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Huskerguy84

I dont think it matters that the salt was kept in a metal container unless it became rusty. Its probably from lack of water changes, temperature flux and over feeding, caused by the tank sitter.

MadReefer13

My lights ended up to be like a year old and were t5s Cuz I hadent put the new par38s over it so the metal wouldent leach into the salt because the salt is a corrosive.... and if its from lack of care witch I know had been happening then I can pull it back right?

gulfsurfer101

Can't blame the tank sitter really, and I wouldn't try and bring it back in its current condition. Too many variables that may lead to future problems. Just get some new dry sand and rock and seed it. Start fresh, problem free.

MadReefer13

No they used saltwater they did all that right it just went down I have it cleaned up now there are two hermits in it but that's it if the tanks done I'm done over the hobbie tank will be tore down too much time and money to start the thing over

No they used saltwater they did all that right it just went down I have it cleaned up now there are two hermits in it but that's it if the tanks done I'm done over the hobbie tank will be tore down too much time and money to start the thing over

They topped the tank off with saltwater?

If so, that's probably why the tank crashed. :/

MadReefer13

No it was with the Ro water I left in depth instructions for them and they had done it the last year when I went on vocation then to so they knew what to do pretty much

Only thing I can figure is the stopped doing it....the lights went hella bad and started the algae and killed it all ....or somehow the dang metal cookie container latched into my tank

Are the rocks usable a least if I have too take it down that's the worst part about losing more then all the corals and fish I already have

No it was with the Ro water I left in depth instructions for them and they had done it the last year when I went on vocation then to so they knew what to do pretty much

Only thing I can figure is the stopped doing it....the lights went hella bad and started the algae and killed it all ....or somehow the dang metal cookie container latched into my tank

Are the rocks usable a least if I have too take it down that's the worst part about losing more then all the corals and fish I already have

Aah. In that case, the top-off probably wasn't the culprit.

You can probably still use the rocks, but I'd throw out the sand.

It honestly sounds like a complete restart would be the best option. If it's only a 10 gallon new live sand and live rock wouldn't be too expensive to fill it. If you really wanted to reuse everything I would take out all of the live organisms and place them in a small quarantine container with some of the water, an airstone and a heater. Then scrub all of the rocks, dump out all of the excess water, throw away any dead/decaying debris and soak everything in vinegar or VERY VERY dilute bleach. Then RINSE WELL.

If it were me I would save the rock and buy new sand. Begin a new cycle and go from there.

This is just my opinion, there are plenty of others out there that might agree or disagree.

Good luck!

I'd also personally restart with new rock and new sand, especially if they're covered in algae right now.

The cost of rock/sand in a 10 gallon < The headache that comes with getting rid of established algae.

MadReefer13

Is got the algae all gone and hasent came back in last week with the new LEDs I was going to take all out use a new ten gallon tank and just use the rock nothing eles

So sand be better then going barebottom

... but that's it if the tanks done I'm done over the hobbie tank will be tore down too much time and money to start the thing over

To me, it sounds like you're not really into it (which is OK). It does take a lot of time and money. Most people will tell you to stick with it; but if it isn't a passion, I think quitting is a viable option.

MadReefer13

To me, it sounds like you're not really into it (which is OK). It does take a lot of time and money. Most people will tell you to stick with it; but if it isn't a passion, I think quitting is a viable option.

. No that's the thing I'm hella into it but having to buy the rock and all to start over I sent what I need a do right now the tank was my life and all I put my time into just dident expect my girl too be in the hospital and gone for 4months. A week trip turned into the 4 montjs

Is got the algae all gone and hasent came back in last week with the new LEDs I was going to take all out use a new ten gallon tank and just use the rock nothing eles

So sand be better then going barebottom

Either is ok. It's what you prefer. Now that the algae is gone, you're probably a'ok to use that rock. After you set up the tank though, you should throw in some fish food or ammonia and see if that rock's bacteria colonies can still process ammonia efficiently before adding livestock.

. No that's the thing I'm hella into it but having to buy the rock and all to start over I sent what I need a do right now the tank was my life and all I put my time into just dident expect my girl too be in the hospital and gone for 4months. A week trip turned into the 4 montjs

That honestly sounds like a nightmare. I hope everything is ok now!

MadReefer13

Ya I'll go as a whole new cycle and the tank still has some coralline I figgired that's a lil good sign ...and yes it was one and all stone now that am home well all will be when my tank is back I had a old profile on here jua couldent lon in I'll post some pics of tank before it died

MadReefer13

OK I'll post here in a min its gonna be two tanks my bro had a ten too IMA take his tank down clean everything then put my rock and new water in it and IMA use mine and his power head to get more flow in the tank

MadReefer13

Be sure to post some current pics also to get a better idea of how to help you restart the tank.

Old Dirty tank

DSCN08861_zpsae12bd81.jpgold dirtyDSCN08851_zpsfd4dda63.jpgDSCN08891_zps9bdb160c.jpgnew (above pictureDSCN08871_zps733db0d2.jpgrocks be for all full DSCN06561_zpsfdb76d96.jpgDSCN07631_zps34645a0c.jpgones like 5 months befoe death hope i can get it back

I should take up golf. And let someone else play for me. I think I'll choose MadReefer. Go on now boy, go hit some balls for me.

MadReefer13
I should take up golf. And let someone else play for me. I think I'll choose MadReefer. Go on now boy, go hit some balls for me.
. WHAT you talking about ?

... just dident expect my girl too be in the hospital and gone for 4months. A week trip turned into the 4 montjs

I hope that your girl is doing well. A fish/reef tank can always be replaced.
MadReefer13

Ya she's doing great now and the tank is being she never could be that's for sure thanks G

I hope that your girl is doing well. A fish/reef tank can always be replaced.
. Ya that's for sure the tank is already being replaced ,she could never be that's for sure she's doing great now ...thanks G

Archived