Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Six line

arm0211

I am strongly leaning towards acquiring my first wrasse. Ever since researching a fish list before setting up my first tank the six line has seemed like a must have for me. I have had my biocube 29 set up for 5 month and I have 2 clowns, a ywg, and a chromis that have been in the tank for a while.

Anything y'all have experienced with a six like in a nano system that I can expect?

I would think even a pygmy wrasse would be pressing it in a tank that size. I have a sixline with a bonded ocellaris pair and a starry dragonet in a nano cube 28.Wrasses are bold fish that like their space in my exp. The one thing you have going is the wrasse being added last,that may help with aggression over territory. However,I would strongly recommend exchanging out a fish or forgetting the wrasse. Not saying it can't be done just may result with fish removal/bullying. It's important to have a lot of rock work for the wrasse to explore and establish as it's zone. Mine doesn't bother my other fish much as they all have different swimming patterns and therefore occupy different tank sections. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the honest input! I will keep and eye on the fish. The only fish untouchable are the clowns with their nem other than that I can swap if the aggression starts to stress too much.

Pink streaked wrasse is a nice alternative to the 6 line as it is mellower but still has the same searching behavior that makes 6 lines interesting and also has very nice color.

I have one in my 75 gal and he cruises the whole tank . He harasses new additions to the tank but after while he leaves them alone . He attacks shrimp with a vengeance but he keeps my tank pest free wich is priceless

They grow a lot more territorial with age as their appetite and feeding increase. They can be very territorial but the same applies to beloved and so popular clownfish. I have seen several clownfish ganging up on weaker brother in vicious attacks that lead to quick death. Clownfish are from damselfish family and some of that aggression is inherited. Especially towards the same species or fish with similar colors or characteristics. Six line are even more discriminating towards its own kind. So keeping one with similar size or smaller is a no, no. Same can be said about keeping fire fish, gobbies, blennies with six line wresse. You might get luck with totally chilled six line wresse or you might end up with terror monster that will harass or even kill other tankmates. Juvenile six line wresses aren't usually that aggressive and I kept one with various fish and inverts. But even at small size, some of the smaller gobies, blennies and more delicate, ornamental shrimps/inverts wouldn't survive in the same tank for too long. As far us keeping pests at bay and being active, fun to watch fish....... It is absolutely awesome fish to have.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the similar experience with the six line. Mine was well settled in my old 75G tank and it chased a newly added fairly wrasse which was bigger in size. In the end, I had to return the fairly wrasse to LFS.

I added a six line a couple months ago and.. what a great addition. I do understand that they can get aggressive later on but as for now it's doing great with a spotcinctus clown, a watchmen goby, an engineer goby, a peppermint shrimp, and a couple emerald crabs. Plus a bunch of hermits and snails.

This is just my limited experience though, I will be watching as he gets bigger and see how he behaves but I consider him a valuable member of the tank

Had a sixline in my BC14 with clown,green chromis,purple firefish,no aggression toward other fish in the 1 year plus I had him, However he loved to wipe out my hermits. Blue legs never lasted more than a couple of days and others were picked off mercilessly. THis fish was my favorite the color ,always active,.. he was well fed but just couldn't deny his nature as a hunter. I've also had a yellow coris wrasse very cool same problem. Both fish are now in my friends 200 gallon mixed reef and doing great.

Archived