Pod Your Reef

New Maxima Clam. Its weird

eodmike

So this is my new clam. Anyone able to identify it? The store called it a sea turtle skin Maxima. I get where they would get this name but googling the term comes up with nothing and I can't seem to locate anything quite like it. Also what should this cost? I'm worried I may of over spent.

I tried using the image thing but it just froze the computer like 10 times over. So now its just attached.

post-75998-0-09491300-1396204239_thumb.jpg

Yes I understand its scientific classification. What I was wondering is that it looks considerably different than what you get when you google tridacna maxima. Color morphs don't suggest a different species. I'm just wondering if this is a certain color morph and if so which. I'd like to compare to see what maximas that look like this go for. Just to compare what I paid.

Looks like a high/ultra grade maxima. I'd say it should retail for $120-150+ (hard to tell without a good top-down picture). Maybe more because the pattern is uncommon.

How much did you pay?

Will you enjoy it less if you think you overpaid?

IME, I've never beat myself up about livestock purchases. What it comes down to is percieved value. Clearly you saw the clam, liked it, and didn't find the price to prohibitive or offensive, therefore you bought it. Some people may have paid more if they loved the colouration, or less for that same reason. It seems unique to me, therefore I'd guess that you might have been paid a premium.

In any event, rare/unique or high demand livestock is going to always be costly in this hobby. My advice is to treat expensive/rare livestock like pieces of art in this hobby. Unless you LOVE it and HAVE to HAVE IT, you don't really want it. It's not something you should convince yourself that you have to own.

I once told myself I could never dream of spending more than $150 on anything in my nano. Of course, then you see something like this:

http://reefbuilders.com/files/2012/02/bleeding-warpaint-scolymia.jpg

and it can really test your resolve.

Named clams?

Seems silly.

It looks like just about the same as all the other pics blue T. maximas Ive seen.

TheMikey,

What do you see in that clam that makes you value it as such?

There's a reef store out here, and T. maximas sell for between $25-$50 on their eBay site, 2.5" to 3".

This one, 251465804529, went for $71.

PEA

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Cultured-Polynesian-Super-Ultra-Maxima-Clam-*-WYSIWYG-V-M1404-Prodview.html

I paid $200 for it. Hard to explain why. Maybe the picture isn't doing it justice. The ultra grade pictures look the closest to it to me. It looks a lot different to me than the other Maxima Clams I've come across in this area. Now in fairness I live in Michigan. Not a hot bed of the aquarium trade.

I should not that what I would consider a normal Maxima at this store goes for 75

I paid $200 for it. Hard to explain why. Maybe the picture isn't doing it justice. The ultra grade pictures look the closest to it to me. It looks a lot different to me than the other Maxima Clams I've come across in this area. Now in fairness I live in Michigan. Not a hot bed of the aquarium trade.

I should not that what I would consider a normal Maxima at this store goes for 75

I'm from MN and I would say the stuff up here is limited and sometimes that makes certain things overpriced. Almost better to do your shopping online sometimes.

wait wait wait just one minute...you paid $200 for that maxima ??? I am sorry my friend but someone took you for a fool. You best cut that person off.

gulfsurfer101

Nonsense, I'd pay 200 all day long for that ultra tiger striped eye of rha goddess of the sea, zebra skinned, wife of Neptune, ultra maximum maxima, and double on Sunday!

Hey now lets not be mean. Maybe I overpaid but I notice the most outspoken about it are in costal states. With large populations. We tend to have to overpay for a lot of things in this area when it comes to this hobby. I have looked around and found some similar clams in the area going for similar prices. SO I would say I may of slightly overpaid for this area but short of going online I would of paid that in this area for a clam that looks like this one.

Now the bad news. Something is wrong with my clam I'm waiting for it to open (lights went out) so I can take a pic and see if anyone knows what's up with it. Seems like whenever I go out of town something bad happens.

gulfsurfer101

Oh man, I hope it's nothing major. Aside from the part that you may have overpaid just a bit and us poking a little fun at you, that is one sweet clam. I hope we can help you turn things around and nurse it back to it's former self.

Archived