Cultivated Reef

Best, cheapest DSLR, Now Pics!

Nanofreak79

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep em coming. Lots of great info guys. I want to make the right purchase, but not break the bank. My coral does that for me :)

If I was looking for the ultimate, don't break the bank setup, I'd look for a copy of lightroom (V4, 80$ retail), a used t1i w/ kit lens ~250$, and a cheap, quality tripod, 50$. For all the crap that's in that kit, you could take better pictures than 95% of what shows up on these forums if you had the skill.

I agree the quality & skill is definitely there which IMO is pretty remarkable since this is a new unfamiliar camera really. A little less blue suites my personal taste better but other wise the pics look great. Keep up the good work man! :)

Nanofreak79

Thanks! I need to learn a little more on how to tweak the camera, and also none of those were ran through Lightroom. How do I get rid of the name on the picture, or rename what's shown? I usually use photobucket.....if you can't tell.

I still use the editing software that came with a digital video camera that I bought many years ago. I've tried the trial version of light room 5 but for what I need (mainly just white balance adjustment) the old sony software is good enough, lol.

Nanofreak79

Thanks guys. I have three dogs too. I'm getting a tripod on Monday. I'm going to try and get some good pics and maybe a video or two.

SantaMonica

Well this was the first camera thread I could read through. Looks like I'll need a Nikon super zoom or similar. The one-step up from P/S, no changing lenses approach.

Well this was the first camera thread I could read through. Looks like I'll need a Nikon super zoom or similar. The one-step up from P/S, no changing lenses approach.

Depends on how far away your subjects will be, and the typical lighting conditions you will be shooting in. Sensor size is probably the most important element, followed by lens speed (aperture), when it comes to lower light photograpghy. Reasonably priced super zooms will have small sensors. However, for tank shooting, a tripod will help compensate for the long shutter times required to capture enough light.

What are you wanting to shoot?

• 3 weeks later...
Nanofreak79

Thread resurrection......

So I decided that my P/S that the wife and I purchasing is not going to make me happy. After using a DSLR there's just no way I can do or get what I want out of this thing. It does take good picture and video, but let's face it it's not a DSLR.

I have two cameras in mind and in my cart. The nikon d70 and the rebel xt. Both look like quality cameras for there price range. If anyone can give any benefits to either that would be great. I plan on purchasing tonight or tomorrow. I can get a d70 locally and the other do be ordering.

Thanks!

Nanofreak79

Well......I planned on under $100 for the body. I'll purchase a lense next week most likely. I have a lot going into tanks in the next few months, so monies are tight right now.

I can get either one with ex or ex+ condition for around $85-90

It almost sounds like an impulse buy. Do you need one this week? I'm tempted to suggest that you save up for a newer model.

Nanofreak79

Well I actually had one picked out a d70 at NCA. I just have not picked it up yet. I've been looking at older style bodies for a few weeks. Been thinking about it since buying the P/S. I heard and read that you can still get quality pics with older bodies and it's really more the photographer and lenses that make the difference?

Resolution and ISO performance will be different (not to mention the LCD screen). Do you know how many shots it has on it? I assume that you'll eventually get a new body, so keep that in mind as you don't want to buy new lenses when you upgrade the body. IDK, you won't be out a lot of money if you're not happy with it (and it won't lose that much value if you decide to sell it).

Nanofreak79

I'm buying off KEH. The rebel is what I'm leaning towards. I don't see anywhere on KEH where it states shutter usage?

For Canon, I've read somewhere to start with at least a T2i. Maybe someone with some more experience will chime in.

Archived