Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Best, cheapest DSLR, Now Pics!

Nanofreak79

Nanofreak79
Yeah, I feel there are better mirrorless options on the market than the Nikon 1. While I'm not sure what all lenses are available for it, I wouldn't think that it offers a true 1:1 macro lens. Macro is often inappropriately used instead of close up. Although I'm sure that you could find many happy Nikon 1 users.

The wife liked this one. I've seen it personally, although not used it. I like the compact size. I want something to get good coral pics with a small body like the j1 I guess? Possible?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bdevillier19

for those of you using the NEX series, how do you adjust your white balance? or do you shoot in raw and adjust using software like lightroom? i have an NEX 5 and i'm looking at getting a macro and adapter if need be. any suggestions?

The wife liked this one. I've seen it personally, although not used it. I like the compact size. I want something to get good coral pics with a small body like the j1 I guess? Possible?

Sure.

However, if I was looking at mirrorless cameras, I'd shop for cameras with an APS-C or a Micro Four Thirds sensor. While considered large for a point and shoot, the 1" Nikon CX sensor (used in the Nikon J1) is comparatively small for this class of camera:

Sensorsizes-c-actual.jpg

The pocketable Sony RX100 (point and shoot) also has a 1" sensor. The mirrorless Olympus PEN E-PL3 (with Four Thirds sensor) is the same price as a Nikon J1. But I haven't looked at mirrorless cameras in depth, so it's hard for me to recommend one.

Even as someone who really hates lugging around a camera, the size difference between a DSLR and mirrorless just isn't worth it. For me it is either a DSLR or pocket-size point and shoot. For the price of a nice new mirrorless, you can probably get both a used DSLR and a new pocket-sized point and shoot. In fact, BOTH a used DSLR with a kit-lens and and point-n-shoot with a 130'+ depth dive case can be had for $500 or less (I got all new for under $600). I don't know if you dive, but I know a lot of people who are into reefs do and they work great on shallow dives. And even if you don't dive, they are cool for just having on vacation or other things where you get wet - snorkelling, whitewater rafting, even just playing with the kids in the pool.

A small DSLR with a tiny lens isn't that bad to carry. Sure, it is bigger than a deck of cards, but controllability you get out of a DSLR is really unsurpassed. A few of my friends and family have mirrorless cameras and they are 75% the size of my small DSLR and are no more convenient.

The nikon 1 is a pos I have the j1 when it was introduced years ago and avoid using it like the plague. Olympus and fujifilm make the best mirrorless options out there.

For shooting sporting events I would highly suggest a nikon dx sensor with a zoom just for the crop factor working in your favor with that sensor. A 200mm 2.8= 300mm 2.8 for instance (well kinda there are some differences but really the crop factor is great for telephoto)

I have also owned a d40 and thought it was the most portable slr ever, nikon makes other cameras of this size now but at the time it was really quite fun being able to toss it in aperture priority and pulling it out and snapping whenever I needed a pic. One of the 18-300 zooms on a d40 sized camera would literally be a one camera for all situations type camera asides from very low light shooting.

Any DSLR made in the past 10 years is going to be perfectly fine for what you need. I would check craigslist for somebody dumping a last generation DSLR (like a D40x, D90, etc.) and you could probably pick one up for less than $150 or so with a lens. If you have a little more to spend on one, the D3100 is an awesome little camera. Even with the stock 18-55mm lenses that come on the lower end DSLRs, you can take excellent pictures. My almost 8 year old D40x that I got as a refurb is still my favorite camera because of how small and light it is (for a DSLR) - even "new" it was only $380 with a lens.

The camera body itself is FAR less important than the person sitting behind the viewfinder. Also, lenses are where you really want to invest. Lenses don't really change very much over the years, but camera bodies do. While you can replace a camera body every 6-8 years, you will likely keep your lenses for life. Always buy quality glass and buying used is always the best way to save.

Once you get your camera, start getting lenses. Since you are a reefer, a nice 80mm or longer macro is going to be high up on the list. For general purpose photography if you buy the Nikon, their 35mm lens is incredible - extremely fast glass (f/1.8) for less than $200 new or $100 used.

However, If you have any Canon gear leftover, I would look for a Canon though since buying duplicate lenses for different mounts is a huge waste of money. Once you pick a brand, stick with it.

This is really the end of the thread right here. Every piece of info you need is in this post.

Nanofreak79
The nikon 1 is a pos I have the j1 when it was introduced years ago and avoid using it like the plague. Olympus and fujifilm make the best mirrorless options out there. For shooting sporting events I would highly suggest a nikon dx sensor with a zoom just for the crop factor working in your favor with that sensor. A 200mm 2.8= 300mm 2.8 for instance (well kinda there are some differences but really the crop factor is great for telephoto) I have also owned a d40 and thought it was the most portable slr ever, nikon makes other cameras of this size now but at the time it was really quite fun being able to toss it in aperture priority and pulling it out and snapping whenever I needed a pic. One of the 18-300 zooms on a d40 sized camera would literally be a one camera for all situations type camera asides from very low light shooting.
Thanks, I think I'm looking into a Nikon.

IMO a canon sx50-hs is one of the best "point and shoots" out there
Thanks!

If you intend to make this into a serious hobby I would opt for a DSLR over anything else. Advanced point and shoots or mirrorless cameras are great if you think you won't want to eventually learn more about photography, but if you intend on taking pictures of your kids + a reef tank, or if you're into birding, or any number of specialized situations you might as well just get the DSLR up front.

i just bought the sony rx100m2 from bestbuy open box for 500. probably the best camera for the money. small compact and takes absolutely beautiful shots. personally chose it over a cheap slr. it has a 1" sensor and great for shooting just about everything,.

Nanofreak79

Ok, I picked up a Nikon coolpix 9600. This is a great point and shoot. There is a close up and macro mode, both of which take excellent pictures of my coral. My wife was just not willing to lug around the DSLR, so we/I made a decision to meet in the middle as long as I could get what I needed to.

Thank you for everyone's input it was very helpful in my decision process.

I use a Nikon J1 for vacation pics and love it for that. I wont ever use it for tank photography just because tank photography requires much more manual control. The J1 is also not that great at low ISO. But for vacation pics, I love it for its size and decent image quality. Here are some pics I took this past few days vacationing in California with the J1:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40199713@N03/sets/72157643614035243/

Keep in mind that I do post processing with Lightroom (which can be another debate on how much camera really matters when post processing can fix most issues...)

Nanofreak79

I use a Nikon J1 for vacation pics and love it for that. I wont ever use it for tank photography just because tank photography requires much more manual control. The J1 is also not that great at low ISO. But for vacation pics, I love it for its size and decent image quality. Here are some pics I took this past few days vacationing in California with the J1:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/40199713@N03/sets/72157643614035243/]https://www.flickr.com/photos/40199713@N03/sets/72157643614035243/[/url]

Keep in mind that I do post processing with Lightroom (which can be another debate on how much camera really matters when post processing can fix most issues...)

Very nice pics, thanks for sharing. I actually looked at buying that same camera. There are some ISO settings that can be changed with mine? Don't know how helpful yet. I also have Lightroom which I will be using as well. My wife just never grasped the whole DSLR idea or it's size. Happy wife happy life I guess. Overall I'm happy with the purchase, and feel for what I got the price was right.

It's not a DSLR as far as control or high picture quality, but I feel I can still get the pics I'm looking for in everyday life. It's small size and the quality of pics is pretty amazing IMO.

Here's a sample pic of what I can do with my sub $500 dslr set up. They could probably be much better if I actually knew what I was doing, but they're good enough for me :).

The exposure and white balance look good. IMO, the first one just needs a smaller aperture (a higher number) to give you a greater depth of field.

The exposure and white balance look good. IMO, the first one just needs a smaller aperture (a higher number) to give you a greater depth of field.

Wouldn't that slow down the shutter? Due to the nature of my tanks, I can only shoot top down. So everything is hand held, a tripod isn't an option.

If I slow down the shutter the pics just come out blurry.

Wouldn't that slow down the shutter? Due to the nature of my tanks, I can only shoot top down. So everything is hand held, a tripod isn't an option. If I slow down the shutter the pics just come out blurry.

Yeah, a smaller aperture will reduce light, which has to be compensated by something else (like shutter speed or ISO, so you might try compensating with ISO instead). IDK, it's a pretty good shot the way it is (just depends if you want the whole colony in focus or not). Blurred backgrounds are typically desired, but sometimes it's nice if the entire subject is in focus (just depends on what you are trying to achieve).

You might even try using an external flash or light. This way you will have plenty of light to adjust the aperture the way you want and still have enough light for a low ISO setting and fast shutter. Your shots are better than most of mine (w/ a Canon S120 point and shoot), so I really don't have room to criticize.

Nanofreak79
Glad you found something that sounds like it will fit your needs :)

Thanks, I think it'll do for awhile.

Nanofreak79

Wheres the new pics?? :)

Yeah.....guess I should post some. I'll get some together and run through Lightroom first.

Nanofreak79

I know this is slightly off topic, but I'm new to Lightroom. Is there a way to import to my photobucket or flickr? I'm having issues doing so. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm still learning here.

Sorry no help, I don't use lightroom. The programs I use tho, I have to save the picture to the comp then upload through whichever site, not sure there is a way to upload direct from them.....

I haven't used it in a long while but I don't recall the ability to transfer it directly from lightroom into an image host.

I know this is slightly off topic, but I'm new to Lightroom. Is there a way to import to my photobucket or flickr? I'm having issues doing so. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm still learning here.

If you're interested in high quality pics forget about photobucket, just use flickr instead.

Archived