Coral Vue Hydros

Best, cheapest DSLR, Now Pics!

Nanofreak79

Nanofreak79

As title states, what's your take. I've owned the more expensive T5i, but sold do to needing cash at the time. I'm not looking to spend a lot, just get some decent pics of my reef and the kids sporting events etc. this camera does not need to be a rebel series as I already know of those. I guess I'm looking for other suggestions. Thanks!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I am no pro, but the pic of my son in the snow in my sig, and of the wrasses in my thread are with my nikon d3100. It was like 500 with 2 lenses (18-55 and 55-200). I know with better lenses I could get better pics but for what I have been using it for IMO its not to bad.... and as you likely know already the real magic is in the lenses anyway ;)

Nanofreak79
Well I am no pro, but the pic of my son in the snow in my sig, and of the wrasses in my thread are with my nikon d3100. It was like 500 with 2 lenses (18-55 and 55-200). I know with better lenses I could get better pics but for what I have been using it for IMO its not to bad.... and as you likely know already the real magic is in the lenses anyway ;)

Cool, thanks. I was looking on amazon recently and saw that camera. Looks like it takes good pics!

Cool, thanks. I was looking on amazon recently and saw that camera. Looks like it takes good pics!

Yeah I am sure someone with skill could do an amazing job with it. Despite my lack of skill I do like it and feel it is capable of taking really good pictures.

Sugardaddy1979

I have a nikon d60. Takes awesome pics and reasonably priced. Only comes with the up to 55mm lens though. Other lenses run over $200 but that's the deal on all of them.

I've owned the more expensive T5i, but sold do to needing cash at the time.

If you are already familiar with the Canon line, you might look at the Canon EOS Rebel T3i (about $500 new with a kit lens). You can usually pickup a used T2i for substantially less.

Any DSLR made in the past 10 years is going to be perfectly fine for what you need. I would check craigslist for somebody dumping a last generation DSLR (like a D40x, D90, etc.) and you could probably pick one up for less than $150 or so with a lens. If you have a little more to spend on one, the D3100 is an awesome little camera. Even with the stock 18-55mm lenses that come on the lower end DSLRs, you can take excellent pictures. My almost 8 year old D40x that I got as a refurb is still my favorite camera because of how small and light it is (for a DSLR) - even "new" it was only $380 with a lens.

The camera body itself is FAR less important than the person sitting behind the viewfinder. Also, lenses are where you really want to invest. Lenses don't really change very much over the years, but camera bodies do. While you can replace a camera body every 6-8 years, you will likely keep your lenses for life. Always buy quality glass and buying used is always the best way to save.

Once you get your camera, start getting lenses. Since you are a reefer, a nice 80mm or longer macro is going to be high up on the list. For general purpose photography if you buy the Nikon, their 35mm lens is incredible - extremely fast glass (f/1.8) for less than $200 new or $100 used.

However, If you have any Canon gear leftover, I would look for a Canon though since buying duplicate lenses for different mounts is a huge waste of money. Once you pick a brand, stick with it.

CoralGardensAquaculture

I'm using a Canon 400d that I picked up in trade. You can buy them used for about $200, IIRC. I can get decent pics with the kit lens (18-55mm) and extension tubes ($53 on Amazon w/ prime). However, it's much easier to get decent pics with the Tamron 90mm macro lens that I got from Iadubber for $275 shipped. So, you can realistically get a nice set up that will definintely be adequate for what you want for $500, if not less.

Check out the pics in my "75 for $75" thread to get some ideas of the quality that I'm getting. It's not pro, but it works :).

Used is the best bet for a good deal on a dslr. Anything 6mp or over made by nikon or canon is your best bet as an entrance into the hobby. The body is meant to be replaced as a new technology provides something you want to upgrade to but you get to keep the lenses you have collected making the equipment part of photography quite affordable in the long run for a casual photographer.

KEH is what I always recommend for the place to purchase used as you can return it if there are any problems initially and don't have to deal with an individual seller like on ebay. Also their rating system for the equipment condition is spectacular.

Nanofreak79

Thanks for all the great replies! Very helpful information from everyone. I'll look into so e of the cameras mentioned and plan on buying a used camera to save a little cash.

Sony NEX line is awesome.
That was one of my first cameras. When I had it they didn't have a macro lense at that time. I think it was a nex3? Not sure anymore.

Used is the best bet for a good deal on a dslr. Anything 6mp or over made by nikon or canon is your best bet as an entrance into the hobby. The body is meant to be replaced as a new technology provides something you want to upgrade to but you get to keep the lenses you have collected making the equipment part of photography quite affordable in the long run for a casual photographer. KEH is what I always recommend for the place to purchase used as you can return it if there are any problems initially and don't have to deal with an individual seller like on ebay. Also their rating system for the equipment condition is spectacular.
Help me out KEH?

What's nice* about Nikon is that the mount has not changed.

You can buy a cheap Costco Nikon special and put a 40 year old 55mm manual macro on it, a new Zeiss F/2 100mm macro, or fast auto cheap 50mm 1.8 on it. You can put a $25 plastic Holga lens on it if you like.

There are not two lines of lens mounts for Nikons like there are for Canon. Nikon pro lenses will fit on the base 3100.

But the Canon does have the auto 50mm f/1.2. That's sweet.

The Nikon D300 and D300s cameras dropped dramatically after the D800 came out, you can probably find an excellent used low shutter count camera on eBay or KEH, for about the price of a 3X00 or 5X00 Nikon new. I could not sell mine for a fraction of its value, say as a beater or IR conversion.

*nice as in you can find excellent pro 30-40 year old lenses for cheap and they will work, mostly, on 3X00 or 5X00 cameras.

Check Adorama used as well.

If you like the feel of Canon, stick with that line. Im not tryi g to sell you on Nikon. Canon has great things about it, I just dont know enough about them. I gave away my Elan to a friend, and it's an awesome camera, a II can be bought for 20 bucks.

Nanofreak79

What's nice* about Nikon is that the mount has not changed.You can buy a cheap Costco Nikon special and put a 40 year old 55mm manual macro on it, a new Zeiss F/2 100mm macro, or fast auto cheap 50mm 1.8 on it. You can put a $25 plastic Holga lens on it if you like.There are not two lines of lens mounts for Nikons like there are for Canon. Nikon pro lenses will fit on the base 3100.But the Canon does have the auto 50mm f/1.2. That's sweet.The Nikon D300 and D300s cameras dropped dramatically after the D800 came out, you can probably find an excellent used low shutter count camera on eBay or KEH, for about the price of a 3X00 or 5X00 Nikon new. I could not sell mine for a fraction of its value, say as a beater or IR conversion.*nice as in you can find excellent pro 30-40 year old lenses for cheap and they will work, mostly, on 3X00 or 5X00 cameras.Check Adorama used as well.If you like the feel of Canon, stick with that line. Im not tryi g to sell you on Nikon. Canon most assuradly uh as great things about it, I just dont enough about them. I gave away my Elan to a friend, and it's an awesome camera, a II can be bought for 20 bucks.

Thank you, that changes things a bit.

Thank you. Guess I could have not been a lazy arse and googled it. Appreciate that.

If you like the feel of Canon, stick with that line. Im not tryi g to sell you on Nikon. Canon has great things about it, I just dont know enough about them. I gave away my Elan to a friend, and it's an awesome camera, a II can be bought for 20 bucks.

Yep - same here. I wasn't trying to sell the Nikon, it's just what I personally use so I know the most about. I know the people who have Canons love them just as much and will suggest them all day long.

Another thing to keep in mind is the camera you carry with you will be the best camera in the world. The D300 is an absolutely amazing camera, but it is freaking huge. All the Pro level FX sensor cameras are giant. While they have a smaller sensor and only a portion of the features, the DX sensor cameras weight about 1/3 of what the Pro cameras do. With a 35 or 50mm prime, my D40x will fit in cargo pants/shorts pockets.

Definitely pick up some used prime lenses too! A lot of people don't like them because zoom lenses are convenient, but the only difference between 35mm and a zoomed in 18-55mm is a few steps :)

Once you get your camera, open the manual first to learn shutter priority, aperture priority, and full manual as well as how shutter speed, aperture, and lighting all effect your shot. Auto is easy and you can get some great shots, but you will never progress - it is essentially just a really expensive point and shoot.

I 100% suggest reading Ken Rockwell to learn the basics of photography and then the Strobist to learn about lighting. Armed with just the knowldge from those two sources and some creativity, you will be able to take some insane pictures!

Nanofreak79

I deffinetly want a more portable unit. The camera I had before including all the lenses and such used a small camera back pack. Little over the top for lugging around to events and other things.

I have Lightroom, and haven't even given it much attention. I need to start developing some skills here :)

I deffinetly want a more portable unit. The camera I had before including all the lenses and such used a small camera back pack. Little over the top for lugging around to events and other things.

If portability is your main thing look into the nikon "super zooms" they are basically a step between a point n shoot and a dslr. The nikon L series are the cheaper "decent" version, and the P series is the more top of the line better quality version. You don't change lenses so no extra lenses to carry around but you can zoom like crazy, get decent close ups, and still take walking around pictures. I have an L series the wife uses for work and it is decent, much better then our old point n shoot was, but not quite what the DSLR's are.... but a good in between without the extra lenses.

meh toss a prime on a smaller nikon slr and just get in close for zoom for a smaller camera but still has slr control. I am shooting exclusively with a 24mm 2.8 this year just for composition practice.

Nanofreak79

Keep em coming. Lots of great info guys. I want to make the right purchase, but not break the bank. My coral does that for me :)

I'm not looking to spend a lot, just get some decent pics of my reef and the kids sporting events etc. this camera does not need to be a rebel series as I already know of those. I guess I'm looking for other suggestions. Thanks!

As per your title, we've been steering towards another DSLR. However, I wouldn't count out an advanced point and shoot. Something like the Panasonic LX7 ($314 new from Amazon, $225 used from KEH), might be suitable for your needs. I use a pocket sized Canon S120 because I tend to resist bringing anything larger with me (unless it's a super special event). I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that you can get a used Sony RX100 for $286 from KEH (awesome little camera).

The drawback of the cameras above are that they don't have big zoom lenses. You mentioned sporting events. Sometimes it takes a pretty decent zoom lens to get up close pictures. Unfortunately, megazoom point and shoots typically have small sensors. This might not be such a liability in bright light, but they tend to suffer as it gets darker. This is where a DSLR makes a lot of sense.

There are a lot of mirrorless options too. Some are very nice cameras (but Nikon doesn't excell in this class). While they can't fit in your pants pocket, they are easier to transport than most DSLR cameras. The main drawback is the lack of lens choices. If you want to carry a small DSLR, consider the Canon SL1 with their 40mm pancake lens (although you might need more of a zoom for sporting events, and it is on the pricey side).

Nanofreak79

As per your title, we've been steering towards another DSLR. However, I wouldn't count out an advanced point and shoot. Something like the Panasonic LX7 ($314 new from Amazon, $225 used from KEH), might be suitable for your needs. I use a pocket sized Canon S120 because I tend to resist bringing anything larger with me (unless it's a super special event). I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that you can get a used Sony RX100 for $286 from KEH (awesome little camera).

The drawback of the cameras above are that they don't have big zoom lenses. You mentioned sporting events. Sometimes it takes a pretty decent zoom lens to get up close pictures. Unfortunately, megazoom point and shoots typically have small sensors. This might not be such a liability in bright light, but they tend to suffer as it gets darker. This is where a DSLR makes a lot of sense.

There are a lot of mirrorless options too. Some are very nice cameras (but Nikon doesn't excell in this class). While they can't fit in your pants pocket, they are easier to transport than most DSLR cameras. The main drawback is the lack of lens choices. If you want to carry a small DSLR, consider the Canon SL1 with their 40mm pancake lens (although you might need more of a zoom for sporting events, and it is on the pricey side).

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-Camera-System-10-30mm/dp/B005OGQXJW/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1396321353&sr=8-19&keywords=Nikon did u see this? Am I right that it can use a macro

Yeah, I feel there are better mirrorless options on the market than the Nikon 1. While I'm not sure what all lenses are available for it, I wouldn't think that it offers a true 1:1 macro lens. Macro is often inappropriately used instead of close up. Although I'm sure that you could find many happy Nikon 1 users.

Archived