Innovative Marine Aquariums

Upgrading from my 10g to a 29g!

Ruester007

I have been playing around with the idea for a month or so and finally made the decision to transition my 10 gallon to a 29 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. I never found a stand/cabinet that appealed to me so I built one today. I am hoping to stain it and seal it over the next week if the weather cooperates. Then I will finish the pluming.

Any thoughts on the best method to transfer an existing tank and livestock to the new set up?

I will post more pictures as I get closer to completing the set up.

This is how the idea started:

ReefTank_zpsf4b7741c.jpg

This is where I am after a full day:

tankcabinet_zpsa9dee3d8.jpg

Looks awesome. Are you going to buy more dry or live rock?

I will be adding additional live rock that has been fully cured as well as a new deep sand bed. I will probably seed the sand bed with some of the old, but I am not collecting sand for this tank.

That looks great, is that rock to the far right covered in GSP? If so, dang I want some. Looks great.

The stuff is voracious, but i love how it looks and easy to frag.

Today I stained the stand and back painted the back panel of the tank. Little by little, I can hardly wait to get this thing wet.

Nice concept sketch, then I clicked on your sig, and realize why!

How are you setting up your drain/overflow?

PS: I love 29g! Following!

Thanks!, I'll have to take a picture of the drain. I am going to use one of the slime Screens from Marine Depot. I imagine it is going to take some dialing in to get it just right.

I would install some unions just to make it easier to take apart if you need to work on something. With everything all glued together, it can be a pain later on down the road. For example, I just rebooted my 30g cube tank, and the drain has a pair of 90's after the overflow to dump into the sump. If I didn't have the union just after the overflow, it would have been near impossible to remove the tank to clean it out.

I would install some unions just to make it easier to take apart if you need to work on something. With everything all glued together, it can be a pain later on down the road. For example, I just rebooted my 30g cube tank, and the drain has a pair of 90's after the overflow to dump into the sump. If I didn't have the union just after the overflow, it would have been near impossible to remove the tank to clean it out.

Sounds like I am going to be adding a couple unions......not a big deal. Thanks

Archived