Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nuvo 16 retired SCA 66G Upgrade Complete

CrazyCarl

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hadn't checked on your tank for awhile. It looks great and is really growing out attractively. Good job.

Thanks! Still have a few frags to mount that I got from trading the clam. Hopefully will get it done this week. Also need to start testing. I think the clam was taking up a lot of alk and calcium and I still haven't adjusted the dosing.

I have a crocea and I know its one of the big users of alkalinity and calcium in my tank so I'm thinking your usage will definitely go down now.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of updates. Reactor pump crapped out again a few weeks ago, I decided to just remove it for now. Also my fuge light just stopped working, can't figure out why. Nothing looked like it got wet or was damaged. I think it may have been out for a few weeks, and I just didn't notice. SPS not looking so good lately, I think this may have something to do with it, as well as the reactor. So I am upping my water change schedule, and also seriously considering an upgrade. Looking at SC Aquariums 66 gallon PNP, Just looks like an awesome deal, been needling the wife over the last week... Stay tuned.

Haha good luck on the negotiations :-) SCA makes pretty good stuff, I met with them in Cali when I went on a roadtrip. None of their tanks had the dimensions I really wanted though so I decided to go a different route. I will say SCA > CADlights by a long shot - which is even more apparent when you visit both of their offices. Also SCA had about 10x the inventory of CADlights.

Good to know. I am actually also looking at the cad 50g long 36 x 18 x 18. My first choice is the SC 66 though, just wish it was narrower, not sure if the 120w razor will work with 24". The negotiations went well, I got the ok, but I feel like I might really be losing for some reason...

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the 66 gallon PNP from sc aquarium, w/sump and skimmer. Also got the 4 stage value plus 75 gpd from BRS. Tank was delivered yesterday, a day early. Can't wait to get it set up!

A little observation, while I loved the innovative marine products at first glimpse and they worked great, they have all failed in short time. Skimmer, fuge light, and reactor. May be just bad luck...

• 4 weeks later...

OK so it has been an eventful 3 weeks. Had my 2nd boy and setting up my 2nd tank, both are exciting, not a contest, but both are rewarding in different ways and only one keeps me up at night, lol.

I have been taking it slow, tank is wet and cycling ATM. Just put sand in last night, and was moving piles around this morning so its still pretty cloudy. I went with all dry rock as I do not want to start with any pests, I am not expecting it to remain pest free, as that is virtually impossible, but at least can avoid starting with anything.

I bought only 35 lbs (they sent 37 lbs) from BRS and it is more than enough. 15 lbs of pukani, 10 lbs reef saver, 5 lbs tonga single branch, 5 lbs fiji shelf rock.

I highly recommend the pukani, if I had gotten 25 lbs of that it would have been enough to fill the tank, probably too much. I am not trying to over do the rock though I wouldn't call what I have a minimalist scape. One thing with the pukani is that you definitely need to soak it and rinse it, a lot of loose material on it. Soaked mine for 4 days in vinegar and ro/di and should have soaked it and rinsed it another 4 days. This is what the water looked like. It smelled pretty bad too.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/8DC21542-FF8D-4AEB-BC37-15BAD7BBE534_zps5eo425x3.jpg.html'>8DC21542-FF8D-4AEB-BC37-15BAD7BBE534_zps

Here is the tank now

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/IMG_20141005_091104145_HDR_zpsa1cgkjju.jpg.html'>IMG_20141005_091104145_HDR_zpsa1cgkjju.j

right side. this structure was a PITA, but actually got it balanced somehow and put some epoxy on it. Still needs more glue though.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/IMG_20141005_091118596_HDR_zpsjzua9oqb.jpg.html'>IMG_20141005_091118596_HDR_zpsjzua9oqb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some non cloudy pics. Going to test water this week.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/IMG_20141019_084516515_zpsdjeja1x6.jpg.html'>IMG_20141019_084516515_zpsdjeja1x6.jpg

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/IMG_20141019_084536742_zps6cesjlgf.jpg.html'>IMG_20141019_084536742_zps6cesjlgf.jpg

I ordered a custom spectrum Build My LED strip 30" (4 violet 420nm, 4 UV 405nm, 6 Blue 470nm, 4 Royal Blue 450nm, 4 Warm White 2700k, 4 Cool White 6500k, 2 Cyan 505nm, and 2 Red 660nm) as I am a little concerned with the coverage the razor will have. I may order another depending on how this one looks. No returns on the custom :scarry:.

Hey just found your thread from the other thread you commented about SC aquariums- what are you doing with the Nuvo? Funny I am looking at SC's 80 cube to upgrade to. What do you think of the stand- I am considering building my own and probably build a sump too- even though their stuff looks really good ?Tank looks good- will you be using the same light? I'll be following along- good to see all the SPS in your Nuvo - always wanted that skimmer- ck out my Nuvo thread in my sig. when u get a chance

I will eventually move things over and break down the nuvo. I am going to use the 120w razor on the new tank and just ordered a 30" Build My Led to supplement. I plan on getting another eventually, depending on how this one works out. My theory was basically that all the tanks with SPS I have seen in person that really look exceptional have at least some T5s running on them. The BML Light seems to be close to an LED version of T5 so I am going to see how it works out. The Stand is good quality, even though not all wood, I don't see it breaking down. Like stated in the other thread it is veneered, so moisture really can't get to the MDF easily. Although there is definitely a lot more spillage with the rimless tanks (especially when you are OCD and can't keep your hands out of the tank). If I decide to sell the skimmer I will let you know. I am subscribed to your thread already lol. Great Job with your tank!

In other news I found someone locally selling a yellow assessor for 80 bucks. I have wanted this fish for a long time (I've only seen them at 1 LFS around here for $220). The guy has been trying to catch him for the past week, he said he will be moving the rocks this weekend so hopefully I can pick him up soon...

I love your rock work, can't wait to see how your build progresses. I think I'll be upgrading my nuvo to an SC aquarium as well. Would you mind taking a picture of your lights once you get it all set up?

Thanks. Looks like a trend is starting here. Nuvo to SC Aquarium Club? I will definitely update as it progresses. I am not even sure at this point how exactly I am going to mount the lighting. Was originally going to suspend everything off of a shelf, but the 24" depth makes it a little awkward. I am leaning towards building a canopy, have some ideas in my head but no real plans. I may end up just mounting everything off the rim at least temporarily.

I will eventually move things over and break down the nuvo. I am going to use the 120w razor on the new tank and just ordered a 30" Build My Led to supplement. I plan on getting another eventually, depending on how this one works out. My theory was basically that all the tanks with SPS I have seen in person that really look exceptional have at least some T5s running on them. The BML Light seems to be close to an LED version of T5 so I am going to see how it works out. The Stand is good quality, even though not all wood, I don't see it breaking down. Like stated in the other thread it is veneered, so moisture really can't get to the MDF easily. Although there is definitely a lot more spillage with the rimless tanks (especially when you are OCD and can't keep your hands out of the tank). If I decide to sell the skimmer I will let you know. I am subscribed to your thread already lol. Great Job with your tank!

In other news I found someone locally selling a yellow assessor for 80 bucks. I have wanted this fish for a long time (I've only seen them at 1 LFS around here for $220). The guy has been trying to catch him for the past week, he said he will be moving the rocks this weekend so hopefully I can pick him up soon...

Thanks for cking things out! I do like how clean their stands looks but I am thinking about making a stand that is 3ft inside dimension so I can fit a 50 gal. Tank in there for a sump. I am a little ways away from the upgrade but it's coming- I will live vicariously through you for awhile

Couple things to update in the soon to be old tank. My birds nest RTN'd along with the tabling acro. I tried to frag them both but to no avail. I think it had something to do with this calcareous green algae that I couldn't get rid of. I wound up tossing the whole rock, because the crap was really tough to remove. I have been keeping up on the water changes lately and things are starting to look better.

New FTS

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0216_zps2d8388a1.jpg.html'>DSC_0216_zps2d8388a1.jpg

Hermit

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0217_zpsbed9a3f7.jpg.html'>DSC_0217_zpsbed9a3f7.jpg

Rics

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0219_zpsac08a0ef.jpg.html'>DSC_0219_zpsac08a0ef.jpg

This Acro is awesome. Growing like mad

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0222_zps73abbac7.jpg.html'>DSC_0222_zps73abbac7.jpg

Candy cane never disappoints.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0224_zpsca3c4479.jpg.html'>DSC_0224_zpsca3c4479.jpg

This monti is as bright as it looks in this pic. Even before lights are on in the morning with ambient light I can see the bright green on it.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0239_zpsb5e021cb.jpg.html'>DSC_0239_zpsb5e021cb.jpg

Going to be at least a few weeks before the transfer. I need to get the lighting situation in order. Waiting for the bml before i build anything. The light should be here by the end of the week. If so i should be able to get that done over the weekend, then transfer the following weekend. I am still messing with the aquascape and am also debating whether or not to have a fuge. Taking my time, rushing things has got me in trouble before...

Going to be at least a few weeks before the transfer. I need to get the lighting situation in order. Waiting for the bml before i build anything. The light should be here by the end of the week. If so i should be able to get that done over the weekend, then transfer the following weekend. I am still messing with the aquascape and am also debating whether or not to have a fuge. Taking my time, rushing things has got me in trouble before...

How's the overflow - is the Duroso quiet?

Picked up the yellow assessor, (seen him eat but is still in hiding most of the day) and got the 30" BML strip. It is a lot more purple than I thought it would be. Word to the wise next time, the 405nm are really purple. Not really too worried about it since it will be supplementing only. I think eventually I will get another, maybe just the premade 14k to balance it out, instead of going custom... Will try to get some pics up later in the week. Also I reaquascaped about 100 times since the last update lol.

So now that you have the tank- what do you think about the size- the only difference from their 80 cube is the height - 24 instead of 20. I looked at a marineland 60 cube this weekend and it was impressive- not sure if I should go with the SC's 80 or their 66. The price difference is fairly small

I like the dimensions of the 66 a lot. Any taller and I would not be able to get my arms in the tank without a stepstool (I am only 5-7 though), which actually might have been a good thing in retrospect (tank is cloudy every other day from me "adjusting" the aquascape)... But I think you were talking about making your own stand so you could lower it a bit if you wanted. I am not the biggest fan of true cubes, I really liked their 90 IIRC, but I would have had to shell out another grand or so for new lights, that's really the only thing that stopped me (not me per say, but my better half ;)). If I had the space and $ I know I would go bigger, but that's just me. Just remember it adds up quick. Larger powerheads, more filter media, larger water changes, more livestock and corals = more feeding/ dosing and supplements.

Archived