SaltCritters.com

Nuvo 16 retired SCA 66G Upgrade Complete

CrazyCarl

skyscraper2290

What are the requirements for the urchin? I have always really liked the pin cushion. I'm jealous it looks awesome man

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CrazyCarl

Thanks. Tuxedo pincushion urchins are herbivores so they are really just another part of the CUC. They actually don't get as large and obtrusive as other urchins, about 3" in diameter. I have heard they are sensitive to parameters, but running an SPS tank, I really have to be on top of that anyway.They can bulldoze things and will pick up loose rubble, shells or frags and "decorate" themselves for camoflauge and protection. Like all other herbivores, if not enough algae is present you may need to supplement their diet. First time I have ever owned one, but had done the research, just happened to get lucky and find one at a nearby LFS.

Forgot to mention that the urchins eat corraline algae. This can be an issue for some who like the look of the coralline, I personally don't mind it, especially if he starts eating the crap growing in the corners and on the glass... I have read in some threads people claiming theirs do not eat it, but mine certainly does. I will post some pics when I get a chance, leaves the rock stark white when he is done.

Took a few shots. All but 2 frags are mounted, ran out of glue. Almost everything has started encrusting already, hoping they grow over the old epoxy soon.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0008_zpsd0f6b2dd.jpg.html'>DSC_0008_zpsd0f6b2dd.jpg

birds nest with all blues on.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0013_zps397d59a9.jpg.html'>DSC_0013_zps397d59a9.jpg

Green/purple efflo. curious to see how this grows out.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0017_zps9daa6f54.jpg.html'>DSC_0017_zps9daa6f54.jpg

FTS

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0012_zps97be9559.jpg.html'>DSC_0012_zps97be9559.jpg

Also my squamosa has spun himself 180 degrees over the last week for some reason. He is slightly closer to the light now, I am thinking maybe since I had the lights on a low setting while acclimating the corals he decided to get closer?

Another FTS from a lower perspective. Shoulda cleaned the glass better...

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0011_zpsa57393da.jpg.html'>DSC_0011_zpsa57393da.jpg

This is starting to really look awesome. I can't wait to see some tennis ball sized SPS colonies in there!

Thanks. Yeah my plan is to now just get everything into autopilot with dosing and maintenance. I really need a 3rd fish though. I have my list of possible acquisitions, we will see what the LFS has today. Heading out now!

Sweet! I can't wait to see what you bring back, fish are always good lol. Something yellow or orange would look really nice IMO.

OK so I decided to try the yellow coris again, and also picked up a talbots damsel. They had them last time I was there and they were very cool looking and I noticed not very aggressive, so I did some research on them. Really underrated damsel from what I have read, and for 3.50 I couldn't pass it up. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/c_talboti.htm Will try to get some pics up later since the ones I see online don't do it justice. The wrasse went into hiding very quickly(not like the last one) but the damsel is out and about and looks like he is claiming the left side of the tank.

That's good to hear you tried the wrasse again. Definitely an interesting choice with the damsel, I'm curious to see how he develops. They have them at my LFS from time to time, might have to think about one.

Best picture I could get of him. I can never get good photos of fish that are always moving...

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0024-2_zpsb4c0aed0.jpg.html'>DSC_0024-2_zpsb4c0aed0.jpg

This one is blurry but shows the colors more true to life. Pinkish orange head, bright orange anal fins and purple/grey body.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0023_zps519a8e15.jpg.html'>DSC_0023_zps519a8e15.jpg

Here is the easiest fish to photo (YWG). He was the first inhabitant of my tank. Came home from a long weekend and found him on the floor last summer. Just thought it was a good pic so I am sharing it.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0684_zps5cfb455f.jpg.html'>DSC_0684_zps5cfb455f.jpg

Still waiting for the wrasse to come out...

After 2 days of hiding the wrasse was spotted yesterday, seemingly healthy, but went back into hiding. In other news the pump on my IM reactor seized. I think it may have sucked in some sand or something. Anyway I called IM and they are sending a replacement for $35. Hope it shows up soon, I will be feeding lightly until it shows, may actually do another WC this weekend just to be safe. If the wrasse comes back out I will try to get some shots.

Good to hear about the wrasse. Mine goes to sleep pretty early every day, around 6:00. Hope that that pump gets there on time, my osmolator nano broke and Tunze is shipping a new pump. Having equipment go down can be really rough on these tanks.

BTW that damsel is beautiful!

Admonition

I also have a Nuvo 16 and from looking at your pictures it appears you've replaced the glass top with a mesh one? If so, could you tell me what you used to replace it? I want to get rid of my glass top but I need something there to keep my suicidal snails in line (and fish to come).

Also, how do you like Maxspect Razor 120 watt? I've been seriously debating purchasing that exact unit in 16000K for my Nuvo 16 as an upgrade/replacement for the stock Clamp 8s.

I used the DIY screen top from bulkreefsupply.com, I believe you can get the parts from most hardware stores, if you are looking to save a few bucks on the shipping. The clear netting can sometimes be hard to find though, most places only have black.

I love the Razor, and so do the SPS. Its really easy to program and have had no issues so far, other than having the intensity too high and killing my LPS in the beginning, which was my own fault... It lacks the controllability of some other lights, but it also has an appealing price point compared to others in its class. The extra channels/ colors, lunar cycles, storm sequences, etc... while cool to show off, is not worth the premium they charge IMO (unless you are trying to breed livestock or something complicated).

So RIP 2nd yellow coris wrasse. Found his remnants this morning. I noticed a small wound/infection on him when he was out the other night, although he seemed unaffected, apparently it must have been worse than I thought. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I think I will stick with 3 fish for now.

Maybe I will get a small Goby or something later on, or if I see a yellow assessor for less than $100, I will pick that up.

Aww man :( that's terrible. I seem to never have good luck with wrasses either, but so far my yellow has been good knock on wood. A yellow assessor would be awesome though, never seen one in person.

There's only one LFS here that has them regularly, but they sell them for $220. I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a fish, especially when its online for $89.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was inspecting one of my acro's and noticed some oval, circular spots where flesh was missing. From research I knew what it was right away (AEFW). I pulled the piece dipped it and fragged it. I didn't find any eggs and I am hoping I got all of them. None of my other acros are have any damage atm. If I notice anything else, I am going to have to go all out with the treatment. Here is a pic of the damage. Right below where I fragged you can see the white spots.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/IMG_20140607_141709728_zps8kzkbedq.jpg.html'>IMG_20140607_141709728_zps8kzkbedq.jpg

I could not see the actual flatworms in the tank or on the coral until I dipped it and they came floating off. After dipping you can see where I fragged the tips. I have never had them before but have done some research. I think I may have nipped this in the bud but we shall see. In other news tank is doing great. everything is growing and encrusting very well, and decent color out of everything too. I plan to take some progression shots soon to show the growth.

• 3 weeks later...

More (less blue) pics. Urchin has been carrying around that piece of xenia for weeks.

DSC_0025_zpsd711db1d.jpg

DSC_0029_zps180851ce.jpg

DSC_0027_zps2ad9b46f.jpg

DSC_0030_zpsc57190f7.jpgthis duncan is still kinda recovering from being knocked over every day for a week straight until I finally got it glued down where the clown can't bulldoze it.

lilmatty5dimes

stunning tank. love your sps collection. sorry to hear about the flat worms problem. i'm hoping in 6 months i'll have mine 16 looking half as nice.

• 1 month later...

Great looking aquarium. Love the coloration of the SPS. Too bad about the yellow choris wrasse, they are really cool fish and it would have taken care of any flatworms in your tank. Looking forward to viewing future aquarium photos.

Great looking aquarium. Love the coloration of the SPS. Too bad about the yellow choris wrasse, they are really cool fish and it would have taken care of any flatworms in your tank. Looking forward to viewing future aquarium photos.

Thanks! Good to know someone's looking. My flatworm population has kind of dwindled recently, I am thinking maybe the damsel has been eating them, but their numbers have always seemed to climb and drop, never really getting out of hand. Knock on wood,

Archived