Innovative Marine Aquariums

Deep sand bed build

DriftingNemo

DriftingNemo

Hi, I have a 14 gallon tank that's been running for around 5 months with a 1/2" sand bed. I would like to create a deep sand bed in my tank while it's running without taking livestock out and starting a new cycle.

I've seen MrSaltwaterTankTV's video on YouTube showing how to safely increase the depth of your sand bed. But my question is if it would be possible to convert my shallow sand bed without a cycle. I would add a cupful or so of sand on top of my existing sand every week until I have reached a desirable level for my deep sand bed. I know that I can't add a whole load of sand and choke out any beneficial bacteria in my existing sand. I would also use crushed coral sand to buffer my pH to a more desirable level. Would this work? and has anyone ever attempted this procedure?

Yes, it will work and your method is sound. I have done it more than once. However, I feel there are other nitrate processing techniques that are less maintenance and risk then a DSB.

Use display quality macroalgae for nitrate and phosphate export.

Patrick

DriftingNemo

I am currently using a handful clump of Caulerpla that's doing it's job by preventing my Nitrates from raising. I could always add more and hide it behind my rocks (I don't like the look of macroalgae).

DriftingNemo

Those Macros look awesome. My purpose of going DSB is to increase the surface area for beneficial bacteria, create a more stable system and increase my pH in a natural way as well as being able to cushion rocks a bit better.

Unless you are having ammonia or nitrite problems, your nitrification bacteria are sufficient with your present sand bed.. IMO, the DSB is more risk than decorative macroalgae for removing nitrates. In such a small aquarium, partial water changes are very efficient and economical at nutrient export. Both macro algae export and partial water changes export nitrates and phosphates.

Patrick

PS. A 1" sand bed is a very easy to maintain depth. It would double your surface area.

DriftingNemo

Thanks for the advice. It would take me around 8lbs of crushed coral sand to get to the desired 1" depth. I also prefer the look of a deeper sand bed because my one looks silly at the moment.

Archived