Innovative Marine Aquariums

Debree and sediment in sand bed?

Jeradmccarty

Jeradmccarty

Ok so I recently had an ich outbreak from not quarentining a fish, needless to say I lost the battle and now no more fish. So my tank has been fallow for over a week now and for some reason I am still getting debree and sediment in my sand bed, I had vacuumed out the sand bed on my first fishkess water change almost two weeks ago, and then I noticed some sediment in there about 4 days later and I was wondering what the hell, I have no fish I haven't been feeding accept very very little for my inverts and my anemone but I mean very extremely littlest enough for them, so I did another water change and vacuumed the sand bed again, now last night I was moving some frags around on the sand bed and more debree almost as if it was like I never even vacuumed it, any ideas? I'm kind stumped

How long has tank been established. Describe substrate: grain size and depth. What was your previous bio load? After 45 years of reefkeeping, I had my first ich outbreak in 15 years this past Thansgiving. It was an established tank that was set up 12 years ago. I bought a 40W UV sterilizer and now operate it 24/7. In addittion to solving the ich issue, it cleaned up nuisance microalgae in my 75G system.

Without knowing anything else, it is coming from deeper down in your substrate.

Patrick

Jeradmccarty

How long has tank been established. Describe substrate: grain size and depth. What was your previous bio load? After 45 years of reefkeeping, I had my first ich outbreak in 15 years this past Thansgiving. It was an established tank that was set up 12 years ago. I bought a 40W UV sterilizer and now operate it 24/7. In addittion to solving the ich issue, it cleaned up nuisance microalgae in my 75G system.

Without knowing anything else, it is coming from deeper down in your substrate.

Patrick

20 gallon long 2-1/2 years old and it's hawaiin black live sand substrate so it's bigger grained sand instead of small grain

Oh yeah about 1-3/4 to 2 inches

detritus will accumulate anywhere there is reef components, its not restricted to just fish. heterotrophs create waste and thats a huge portion of it

the rest is literal waste from corals in the process of breakdown

molts, etc

decaying plant material possibly

any component of a cured reef system will exude some detritus itself. even just a chunk of truly cured live rock, the heterotrophs within...then it adds up over time with current finding certain spots

Jeradmccarty
detritus will accumulate anywhere there is reef components, its not restricted to just fish. heterotrophs create waste and thats a huge portion of it

the rest is literal waste from corals in the process of breakdown

molts, etc

any coomponent of a cured reef system will exude some detritus itself. even just a chunk of truly cured live rock, the heterotrophs within.

Ok so this is normal

• 3 weeks later...

Archived