Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How to test source water?

pyrokidd89

ok guys i have some phosphates that I cant seem to get down. I think they might be coming in from my water. I have an RO/DI but still want to test the water. so my question is should test my RO/DI water with my salt mixed in or just the water straight out of the RO/DI?

Test both just to be sure the salt mix doesnt have it

I wasn't sure because my API test kit says for saltwater. Didn't know if fresh water would throw it off?

You can also take a sample of the water striaght from the tap and right out of the ro/di to your lfs, they should be able to test

You can also take a sample of the water striaght from the tap and right out of the ro/di to your lfs, they should be able to test

ok. but do you think the fresh water will throw off my test?

I wasn't sure because my API test kit says for saltwater. Didn't know if fresh water would throw it off?

Your API phosphate test kit shows results in 0.25ppm increments; however, the target value is 0.03ppm (so it's pretty worthless as a reef test kit).

The best way to test your RO/DI water is with a good handheld TDS meter. If your water coming out the DI stage shows anything but zero, you should change your DI resin.

Your API phosphate test kit shows results in 0.25ppm increments; however, the target value is 0.03ppm (so it's pretty worthless as a reef test kit).

The best way to test your RO/DI water is with a good handheld TDS meter. If your water coming out the DI stage shows anything but zero, you should change your DI resin.

is there a test kit you recommend?

frankdontsurf

Like seabass said test kits are useless for this. Its not nice but...order a TDs meter from Amazon check your tap check your RO check your DI check your RO/DI (maybe a membrane is done) once you know what you have wash it off and send it back to amazon and say it didn't work. :( Sorry some folks will frown on that.

Yeah, stick with a TDS meter to test your RO/DI water.

is there a test kit you recommend?

For testing your tank water for phosphate:

I'm currently using the Hanna Phosphorus Checker. The results very slightly, but it gives you a decent idea where it's at.

AZDesertRat

A good ATC temperature compensated handheld TDS meter is your best friend for testing your tap or RO/DI water. $20-$25 at most vendors for a HM Digital TDS-3,TDS-4TM or AP-1 and all are very good choices.

Archived