Innovative Marine Aquariums

Maxima not attaching

akaeding

Hi every one. Fist time clam owner here.

I have been the proud owner of a maxima clam now for about a month. He is about 3in long. All has been well with him except he doesn't seem to want to attach to anything.

When I got him he was attached to some rubble and I placed him mid level in the tank with it still attached. After about a week he had rotated and let go of the rubble and I figured he didn't like the flow in that area so I moved him to a different location.

He was there for about two weeks and looked great and was responsive to light change and does not game pm and is not gaping. But he still has not attached.

Is this normal? does a maxima have to attach to survive I have talk to some people and heard mixed things from if he doesn't attach on an hr he doesn't like that area to he may never attach. What should I do?

It all depends my maxima did the same thing for a month, now hes attached id give it time, my clam is in a small cup with rubble, that way I can move hime without issue, im sure itll attach

It all depends my maxima did the same thing for a month, now hes attached id give it time, my clam is in a small cup with rubble, that way I can move hime without issue, im sure itll attach

Ok great I have him in a crevice of a rock that curved just like the bottom oh him I won't worry to much about it.

Thanks for the fast response!

Hi every one. Fist time clam owner here.

I have been the proud owner of a maxima clam now for about a month. He is about 3in long. All has been well with him except he doesn't seem to want to attach to anything.

When I got him he was attached to some rubble and I placed him mid level in the tank with it still attached. After about a week he had rotated and let go of the rubble and I figured he didn't like the flow in that area so I moved him to a different location.

He was there for about two weeks and looked great and was responsive to light change and does not game pm and is not gaping. But he still has not attached.

Is this normal? does a maxima have to attach to survive I have talk to some people and heard mixed things from if he doesn't attach on an hr he doesn't like that area to he may never attach. What should I do?

I think it's dead... just put it in a box and send it to me for an autopsy. LOL :D

I think it's dead... just put it in a box and send it to me for an autopsy. LOL :D

The larger a clam is the less likely it is to attach. At three inches a maxima "should" attach within a week, but don't loose sleep over it. Clams are proud to not follow the rules.

Mine attached in 1 day, then a month later jumped off the rock. I put it back in the same spot and then about 4 months later it reattached and has been ever since.. now going on 9 months since I first acquired it.

Mine loves his new spot now has not attached but I'm not to worried anymore thanks you guys for setting my mind at ease. Now to decide when to get my mandarin

• 2 weeks later...

Archived