inTank Media Baskets

Bio Cube 14 gal filtration?

darkdancer333

darkdancer333

I wanted to ask if it would benefit the tank to have another power head for circulation in the tank.

I am not going to use bio-balls and the second compartment will be blank.

The 1st compartment I was wondering if there was a more efficient filter set up then what came with the system. I have read somewhere people have used the fibers

I have a bc29gal. It is similar, just bigger. I have a hydor nano slim protein skimmer in chamber 1, a media rack in chamber 2 with floss, carbon and puragin, a GFO media reactor in chamber 2, chamber 3 is a mj400 pump for the media reactor and a mj1200 for the return pump. In the main tank, I have a 2 hydor 425 nano power heads. In not sure the dimensions of the 14 gal BC, but you can get a lot of filtration back there to make your tank run clean

darkdancer333

I have a bc29gal. It is similar, just bigger. I have a hydor nano slim protein skimmer in chamber 1, a media rack in chamber 2 with floss, carbon and puragin, a GFO media reactor in chamber 2, chamber 3 is a mj400 pump for the media reactor and a mj1200 for the return pump. In the main tank, I have a 2 hydor 425 nano power heads. In not sure the dimensions of the 14 gal BC, but you can get a lot of filtration back there to make your tank run clean

I was told a skimmer wasn't needed but was wondering if the circulation was enought with the pump that came with the system. I am new to coral tanks. Twenty years ago I had saltwater tank 60 gals.. fish only

Increased circulation is a good thing. Depending on bioload and husbandry, you may get by with the stock pump. Use activated carbon for chemical filtration and partial water change for nutrient export. It you use decorative macroalgae in your tank, you will also get the benefit of nutrient recycling and then nutrient export when you prune and remove it.

Patrick

I was told a skimmer wasn't needed but was wondering if the circulation was enought with the pump that came with the system. I am new to coral tanks. Twenty years ago I had saltwater tank 60 gals.. fish only

I'm relatively new to SW as well, but I can tell you that a protein skimmer is not required, but definately worthwhile. I have noticed that water quality and parameters are much better since installing it. It helps remove alot of the organics in the water before they have a chance to breakdown and mess with your nitrate and phosphate levels. it does block some of the flow, but you can't solely rely on the stock pump for flow, the addition of a powerhead will more than make up for the reduced flow

Archived