ReefCleaners.org

Ammonia Spike! Help!

F1SHY

I have had my fluval edge 6g running for about 2 weeks now. After getting 0's on everything for a week and a half, with 5 lb of LR, Live Sand, and Seachem Stability. Yesterday I added a small clown. He seemed fine this morning, but when I arrived home around 5 he seemed to be swimming upward and not moving around much. I tested my ammonia and nitrite, and this is what I got:

Ammonia: 1 ppm

Nitrite: ~.35 ppm

I am using an API test kit, which I know are not the best, but these samples look much different than the ones I have been getting before.

I have done a 2 gallon water change, as I only had 2g of saltwater on hand. I've added some Seachem Prime, as well as a daily dose of Seachem Stability.

I don't have a quarantine, don't have anymore saltwater on hand, nor can i get access to either until around tommorow afternoon.

Is there anything I can do to help my fish?

gulfsurfer101

You jumped the gun on adding livestock and your tank never really cycled. If you want to try to keep the fish alive just buy a ten gallon tank and change water out daily till your tank cycles the next couple of days. Or you can dose prime but that may interfere with your tanks cycling process and I'd go with the spare 10g.

You jumped the gun on adding livestock and your tank never really cycled. If you want to try to keep the fish alive just buy a ten gallon tank and change water out daily till your tank cycles the next couple of days. Or you can dose prime but that may interfere with your tanks cycling process and I'd go with the spare 10g.

I've got an empty 10g with a heater, light, and filter I can get up and running within a day, if thats possible. How do i go about doing so?

gulfsurfer101

Just make fresh saltwater, bring up the temp to match your tank and put your fish in it. Don't worry about using lr, just change a gallon out every day and you should be ok. Let your tank cycle now that you set it in motion.

Just make fresh saltwater, bring up the temp to match your tank and put your fish in it. Don't worry about using lr, just change a gallon out every day and you should be ok. Let your tank cycle now that you set it in motion.

Do I need to worry about a cycle, or can I dump in some saltwater and stick in the fish?

gulfsurfer101

No because by changing out water everyday you'll basically be soft cycling. You could do this in your current tank but it could take weeks to finally balance out.

No because by changing out water everyday you'll basically be soft cycling. You could do this in your current tank but it could take weeks to finally balance out.

So if I could manage to throw ~5g of mixed saltwater in a bucket and a powerhead, I might be able to throw my fish in there and save him?

gulfsurfer101

Yeah, but do it slowly, make sure your temp is right or you'll just kill him. It's best to use the 10g and run activated carbon in the filter.

Yeah, but do it slowly, make sure your temp is right or you'll just kill him. It's best to use the 10g and run activated carbon in the filter.

I'm setting up the quarantine now. Found the old HOB and it has old freshwater alagae in it. Am i safe just rinsing and wiping it?

Just rinse it out and start it up.

With daily one gallon water changes any crud left in the filter will be inconsequential.

gulfsurfer101

^^^ basically this^^^

You can dip the filter in a fw peroxide solution if it makes you feel better but completely unessarry. Honestly I'm suprised your fish is still alive this long. What are your parameters now.

Archived