Cultivated Reef

Tree of life Zoa dominated tank

jaywong04

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ragtimewilly

Dude awesome scape, it already looks like a bonsai tree, some zoas are gonna make this thing pop. Makes me want to completely redo my scape.

GSP as grass is something I've been wanting to do. Is there any way of stopping it from growing past a certain point? Is there a substrate or surface it won't grow on?

You just stop it momentarily by taking a scalpal or razor blade to it. When on the sand it's easy to cut it away- grab some scissors and snip. So when you're doing your weekly maintenance you'll be able to see if you need to do anything. Even monthly. I've just been cutting mine and adding it to the back of my tank. It's on sand, and the right rock and in the back wall.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/072_zps70bc77df.jpg.html'>072_zps70bc77df.jpg

It grows slower on the sand as you can imagine as it doesn't have anything to really latch onto. One cool thing is once it's covered, all you have to do is blow w/ a baster and any detritus will go into the water column and out to the filter, etc.

Enchelycore808

That tank is coming out awesome! What you gonna put on the topmost branches? I made the mistake of building my tree to high and now I can't really think of anything to put there without it getting torched..

That tank is coming out awesome! What you gonna put on the topmost branches? I made the mistake of building my tree to high and now I can't really think of anything to put there without it getting torched..

thanks i still put zoa there with high intensity light requirement for now i want to put from bottom to top

ill try d gsp path thanks for the idea almost all wants me to take that path hehe

Nanofreak79
You just stop it momentarily by taking a scalpal or razor blade to it. When on the sand it's easy to cut it away- grab some scissors and snip. So when you're doing your weekly maintenance you'll be able to see if you need to do anything. Even monthly. I've just been cutting mine and adding it to the back of my tank. It's on sand, and the right rock and in the back wall.

072_zps70bc77df.jpg

Looks cool. I wish I didn't have to trim as much. Mine is on some rock that's really hard to remove it from. I know it grows crazy fast and every where, but I still like it.

Looks cool. I wish I didn't have to trim as much. Mine is on some rock that's really hard to remove it from. I know it grows crazy fast and every where, but I still like it.

Yeah, I like it too so I put one piece of gsp on an accent rock in the back corner of my 34. It grows slow there on that piece of rock at least. I might put that in my rock flower tank just for an accent in the corner until the tank starts filling up.

You could do bonsai lol with gsp grass and zoa leaves lol

You could use smaller zoas as new leaf growth and larger zoas/palys as old growth. Heck, you could even make it look as if the tree is going through fall color changes. Maybe sprinkle some zoas/palys amongst the GSP as fallen leaves. Then use different colored zoas as flowers growing on the bark or ground. Things can get a little crazy depending on how detailed you want to get.

im drinking and there fore i must be blind. what am i missing?

Im right there with you dude,what're we lookin for besides the hole under the rock ( unless I'm seeing sh*t too lol ) !!??

im drinking and there fore i must be blind. what am i missing?

Im right there with you dude,what're we lookin for besides the hole under the rock ( unless I'm seeing sh*t too lol ) !!??

I was wondering the same, ha ha. I was thinking either that is a new rock, or there was a fish underneath that I couldn't make out.

jaywong04

update 2nd wk of cycling

i hate to post a photo update because the tank is full of diatom ive just cleaned it today

ill post pic once the tank has settle

the creature in the hole is my whitecap goby :) i don't see him now but im confident he's alive

jaywong04

the hanging kit is temporary only my real plan is to make a new cabinet with builtin hanging kit at the back so that ill able to see 3 side of the tank

Polarcollision

072_zps70bc77df.jpg

That looks awesome on the front sand. Almost like the lushest grass I've ever seen. How often do you trim back?

nothing new ... 5%blue 5%purple

C360_2014-04-23-18-32-05-854_zps19b0b9b1

Love what you;ve done with the tonga branches. Are you a fan of Dr Seuse? It's at once playful like his drawings and elegant

Archived