Pod Your Reef

Joey's Evolve 8 Reef

jkeating

Long time lurker...first post!

Had this set up for about 3 months and then I had a mishap with regenerating purigen, so I ended up with a massive algae problem because the nutrients immediately sly rocketed and wouldn't come down. I needed a restart. Here it is-

Tank- Aqueon Evolve 8

Light- Ecoxotic 14K PAR 38 (it's ok, I'm thinking of upgrading to a kessil for better color when I get the money.)

Skimmer- Eshopps Nano Skimmer (Only on it's second day and it's doing well. Pulling some nice skim. It's still not fully broken in though. I got this as I really wanted to cut down on maintenance. )

Circ- Hydor Koralia Nano

Others-

Red Sea Test Kits

Chemi Pure

Purigen

Fish:

Yellow Clown Goby

Coral:

Duncan

Acans

Zoas

Birdsnest

Frogspawn

I may add an ATO soon because I'm tried of topping off everyday. I want to upgrade lighting soon, too. Until next time-

post-82485-0-45786100-1395800470_thumb.jpg

I have the eshopps nano skimmer as well. I would recommend a ATO not only for hassle factor on the smaller tank but for the performance the skimmer gained due to a more consistent water level. As most skimmers benefit from this, I found it extremely helpful with this somewhat finicky skimmer. Just my $.02

Im looking to add the Tunze Nano. I just need to find a place to keep the water resevior as the tank is on a book shelf. I'll figure it out somehow. Do you have experience with this ATO?

freestylejunki32

Im looking to add the Tunze Nano. I just need to find a place to keep the water resevior as the tank is on a book shelf. I'll figure it out somehow. Do you have experience with this ATO?

I have the same one on my nano setup. I just keep a gallon milk jug underneath the tank. It is probably pumping about 3ft or so with no problem but im sure it could go a lot higher if you needed it to. Just keep an eye on the float sensor if you have any small snails. Mine like to climb inside the protective housing and bind up the float.

Finally got around to taking levels:

NO3- 4ppm

PO4- .08ppm

Alk-

Calc-

Mag-

Too Lazy to test them all. I only have one SPS so I will when I get more. Haha. My levels were good last time I checked.

Went to the LFS today and got a nice torch for 15$. Couldn't pass it up. I'll be going this weekend and probably getting 1 or 2 frags since they have a 40% off everything sale.

TRQcoPh.jpgcdJhZqJ.jpg

My clown goby decided to bite the dust. Most likely because he wouldn't eat anything that I tried feeding. Mysis, Brine, NLS pellets, nothing. Went to the LFS this weekend and picked up some frags and a stubby Occelaris. He'll be the lone fish in the tank. Can someone identify the greenish white coral. They gave it to me for free. I think maybe a chalice of some sort?

No3- <4

Po4- 0.04

Not too bad.

Got everything glued and in place. My acan is putting out two new heads. It looks super washed out in the pictures, though. I'm getting some weird filamentous algae on the glass and power heads. I think it's diatomic, but I'm not sure. Anyone with an ID?

G66Smtv.jpgQZ0dFGf.jpgOaSmFdS.jpglTmEvWP.jpgUlrre51.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First Off for anyone who is following-

I've added some new things since last time. I've been battling Dinos and i feel that I've finally got them almost eradicated. Thank God! Haha.

Other than that, everything is doing well. I have a Mr. Aqua 17 Gallojn that is currently a high tech planted. I'm going to convert it to a reef. Should I drill and do a sump, or just do a AC70 with Chemipure and Puriegn? I want to sump it for the added volume and ability to run a much better skimmer. Any opinions?

Now for pics. Acan was taken with a $5 IPhone 5 Macro lens from amazon. Not too shabby.

lM5DZ9P.jpg

1OsZ9Lc.jpg

MzQZGKr.jpg

YhURzkB.jpg

Archived