inTank Media Baskets

North Ga Hillbilly's Bare Bottom 20G (Ramping up for an upgrade)

NorthGaHillbilly

NorthGaHillbilly

Did a WC and decided I aught to check some parameters.

PH 8.4

Alk 8.5

NO3 0

Glad to see the nitrate get down there, I feed so damn heavily I was expecting them to be up around 10 or 15. They might be "too low" to be optimal for all the LPS, but feeding heavily hopefully makes up for that.

The rescue trachy looks like its bouncing back alright, Too early to see yet, but I'm hopeful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

Got a couple of good pics over the weekend

14710747354_881d26b741_z.jpgDSC_0211 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/opSpbX'>14709961911_71883bdd05_z.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/opSpbX'>DSC_0195 by https://www.flickr.com/people//'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/o8DXu4'>14526470159_95f0f81165_z.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/o8DXu4'>DSC_0201 by https://www.flickr.com/people//'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

The rescue trachy is coming along, not sure if itll every be able to regrow on the old skeleton, but its regaining color and inflating well

https://flic.kr/p/o8F4uB'>14526685487_0fcba08414_z.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/o8F4uB'>DSC_0214 by https://www.flickr.com/people//'>North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

NGaHB

NorthGaHillbilly

Tank is looking great my friend. That trachy is puffing up will it eat?

Its been eating well, I started it off with only mysis, then mysis and pellet slurry, its been regaining color alot quicker than I thought it would B)

Love the colors in those frags my friend! Beautiful!

Thank you sir, I need to swing in and check your thread.

NorthGaHillbilly

Gotan order from Glenn at CGA on Friday, everything looks great, other than a scoly I pissed off real good by taking a dremel to the rock it's attached to. Cleaned the glass real good and put a filter sock back on to scrub the water, pics to come tomorrow

Yea can't wait to see some pics buddy. I added some linked pics per request,the angel is hard to get one of as she's quick and rock dwelling.

NorthGaHillbilly

If you have dial up... give up

The wife and I went photo crazy today, shes never been too keen on the tank, but once the camera came into the mix she was really digging it.

To start it off here are some shots of the shipment from Glenn at CGA. Not only were the things I ordered AWESOME and 100% true to the pictures, which is nice with all the photo magic going on these days, but the extras were killer to. At some point I need to buy something other than LPS, but for now Im going to keep going like Im going.

14759178391_80f4d96bbc_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14575892637_a92725cdbf_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14575701919_55947fb888_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14762022762_5689f41b88_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

I'm going to frag this guy up alittle and try to get him growing onto a rock more naturally

14575896047_27bf8c1f68_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14575901987_51f2b4a491_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14575915527_d0ccf755b4_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14762384645_e8198f8f92_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Didnt bother adjusting colors on these pictures, it ends up my wife has a better grasp on using the camera than I do

NorthGaHillbilly

Here are some more random pictures from around the tank

14575726608_1c880e239b_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14575716259_af0aa01259_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14759193081_1a7ac1f847_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14759196111_484f84f6e1_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Still cant tell if this guy is going to recover

14760041084_86137c3b18_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

A few actinic shots, because the timer flipped

14575749829_bd501455af_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14762396085_31c0aa34f3_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14759229871_77676fe1e5_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14782268463_4c0e17101a_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

14575770298_d263a212be_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Still cant take a decent FTS so save my life

14575757219_ec9fffb248_c.jpgUntitled by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

I won't quote and take up a whole page :) but your tank is quickly becoming my favorite on NR. Yellow clown gobies and LPS omfg I am in love. You have inspired me to bo bare bottom. I am slowly going to start removing sand this week mine is getting pretty nasty.

NorthGaHillbilly

I won't quote and take up a whole page :) but your tank is quickly becoming my favorite on NR. Yellow clown gobies and LPS omfg I am in love. You have inspired me to bo bare bottom. I am slowly going to start removing sand this week mine is getting pretty nasty.

Thats a hell of a compliment my friend, I appreciate it. Believe it or not there's only one YCG in there, he watches which coral Im looking at the most, and that's the one hes going to perch in.

I dig the bare bottom, its not as pretty as sand in some ways, and it takes some doing to get big LPS to sit right on the bottom, but as far as maintenance and gunk removal, its the bees knees.

Thats a hell of a compliment my friend, I appreciate it. Believe it or not there's only one YCG in there, he watches which coral Im looking at the most, and that's the one hes going to perch in.

I dig the bare bottom, its not as pretty as sand in some ways, and it takes some doing to get big LPS to sit right on the bottom, but as far as maintenance and gunk removal, its the bees knees.

I know a guy who has a bare bottom LPS tank. He uses large PVC couplings cut in half for trachy's to sit on. I don't have much visible sand from all the corals so it won't be that big of a deal. I just think it would be cool to have chalices and polyps growing all over the bottom.
NorthGaHillbilly

I know a guy who has a bare bottom LPS tank. He uses large PVC couplings cut in half for trachy's to sit on. I don't have much visible sand from all the corals so it won't be that big of a deal. I just think it would be cool to have chalices and polyps growing all over the bottom.

I tried the PVC, thats essentially what my big green trachy is on, but I ended up using epoxy putty and super glue on the more recent ones to make a base that keeps em level, seems to work well.

Id like to have some chalices on the bottom, but my crab and stomatta only CUC has a habit of moving any frag plugs around alot, which ended up with a miami hurricane claice getting half eaten by an acan, and then it decided to bleach out completely. Its somewhat of a ghost chalice now :unsure:

Pics look good man!! I didn't even think to ask if you wanted me to cut the bases on those scoly's down a bit since your tank is BB, sorry!!

NorthGaHillbilly

Pics look good man!! I didn't even think to ask if you wanted me to cut the bases on those scoly's down a bit since your tank is BB, sorry!!

no problem man, the green guy was good to go, the other I took down at an angle so it showed better, tho I didnt do the best job, hes still not too happy with me, but I think itll be fine.

no problem man, the green guy was good to go, the other I took down at an angle so it showed better, tho I didnt do the best job, hes still not too happy with me, but I think itll be fine.

Yeah I can tell that he's not fully opened up, but he doesn't look too bad. Should be all fat and happy in a few more days.

NorthGaHillbilly

Guy from the local reef club had a colony of tricolor acro break up on him during a fragging attempt, he was looking to get rid of the frags quick, thus I ended up with a pretty large frag for 20 bucks. Well see how it does.

post-84043-0-78844900-1406678754_thumb.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Wait this tank isn't drilled? I was just reading thru your thread and saw a HOB.

The tanks drilled, the overflow is a bulkhead mount, a hole is drilled in the box and then sandwiched on the overflow hole.

I would have prefered a corner box, but the tank was wet before I plumbed in a sump. Im looking at a diff deep blue tank tho, the 35 gallon 36"x18"x12" With this light I would end up with alot of lower light space on the sides for lps, and could do a decent amount of SPS on the island in the middle.

This tank is super cool.

Thank you sir

NorthGaHillbilly

Loving all that coralline on the bottom glass. Hoping mine will be BB in about a week going to remove the sand slowly.

yea, its really starting to take hold, I saw a huge increase after I started topping off with kalk, since then its been going nuts, Strangely enough I have basically NONE on the walls of the tank, but the bottom is going strong.

I think your going to like it, especially with that your bottom is so covered with coral, theres not much stirring of that sand going on. Play with your flow alittle and see if you can get it to pile up in an area thats easy to get to. Mine piles up in the back corner, easy to get out of there. I need to do a WC at some point and get the new pile out

NorthGaHillbilly

Bare bottom is only bare if you aren't a lps fanatic lol then it's only kinda bare.

See that big ol white "Do Not Drill Tempered Glass" sticker... perfect place for another big ol meat coral :D

See that big ol white "Do Not Drill Tempered Glass" sticker... perfect place for another big ol meat coral :D

Yea it is. Hahaha. I wish I planned my coral selection better sometimes it usually ahhh yep that's nice and in my budget. Lol. My favorite thing in my tank isn't even coral it's my GBTA from lawn.

Archived