Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

North Ga Hillbilly's Bare Bottom 20G (Ramping up for an upgrade)

NorthGaHillbilly

Those little frags look so nice !

quick update before I head out the door. Ive got all my plumbing stuff to get a sump on the system, Im going to cut glass for the baffles monday and hopefully get it glued up by tuesday. I plan to drain the tank down enough to get to the bulk heads next weekend, plumb it all in and well have a sump in opperation :D

I went with a CPR bulk head mount overflow box and a sicce 1.5 as a return pump. Expecting to get a SCA 302 skimmer within a month, but keeping an eye out for a deal locally between now and then.

Sounds like a full blown operation! Pics will be certain!!???

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

Those little frags look so nice !

Sounds like a full blown operation! Pics will be certain!!???

Yes sir!

Did a 20% WC today, filled up the top off water and got everything in order, going to be gone a few days for my bachelor party in Charleston, SC!

Yes sir!

Did a 20% WC today, filled up the top off water and got everything in order, going to be gone a few days for my bachelor party in Charleston, SC!

Getting married ?! Congrats if so !! (I'm still far too young for that ordeal, hahaha)

NorthGaHillbilly

Getting married ?! Congrats if so !! (I'm still far too young for that ordeal, hahaha)

Indeed I am, after 5 years were making it official. I really appreciate it, but have your fun while your young (a relative term) Getting married at a vineyard in my home town

3f6e08b2c45e4df7a2154bb115189223_zps7130

Sound like a good plan. Can't wait to see the end result.

Im getting close, I've got my plumbing parts that cant be had at home depot, return pump, CRP bulkhead mount box and a few socks. The sump is sitting at the shop drying right now, only doing one baffle into the return area with a partial baffle to hold a sock mount, running the main area at 9" looking into a SCA 302 pivoting on what you think about yours.

IMG_0055_zps74f126c6.jpg

Ended up trading some zoas that were unneeded to the LFS and came home with this guy for $30. He took a tumble onto the floor, but didnt seem to phase him on bit.

IMG_0056_zps84077a28.jpg

He's photogenic ta boot

IMG_0057_zps2ad1dff7.jpg

I always like trying to see if they will eat within an hour of being in the tank, he was happy to oblige

Here are a few growth pictures, the small heads on the back of the purple acan are all new (just wish it wasnt so plain looking).

IMG_0050_zps427e56f2.jpg

The striped acan sprouted the new baby on the bottom within the past few weeks and the watermelon chalice has gone from two eyes to 4.

IMG_0051_zps1deb143c.jpg

Hopefully the sump will get some work sunday, but it could be later unfortunately :unsure:

NGaHB

Awesome monticap collection!!! That purple will color up bright in no time, I'm sure!!!! I still have to make my ATO. Yours looks similar to what I'll be doing. Where did you get your plans for the ATO?

NorthGaHillbilly

Awesome monticap collection!!! That purple will color up bright in no time, I'm sure!!!! I still have to make my ATO. Yours looks similar to what I'll be doing. Where did you get your plans for the ATO?

Thank you very much! Its no TOTM, but its coming along :lol:

Ive got an encrusting rainbow that I dont think I have a picture of, and an orange, both are on the frag rack still... Im going to need a bigger tank soon Im afraid

I got plans from both reef central and here, I dont think my explanation in the thread I made about it was very clear, but I would defiantly put the 12volt supply in the same enclosure, keeps a little transformer from taking up a plug and having another wire to fight with.

Nanofreak79

Place your getting married at looks awesome man. Love the sicce pump. I need to replace the one I had for my 17......it's using a poopy MJ right now. Congrats!

NorthGaHillbilly

Looks happy bro!

That he does! Im really glad he seems to be doing well noticed more purple on him today, coming from crapped out T5 to relatively high light, well see where that goes.

Couple of updates, sump i had glued up ended up getting backed over by the fork lift at work... yea... so I got the replacement guled up tonight, forgot to use tape on the silicone due to several beers, its a sump i suppose :o

I ended up going on a spree last night picking off green palys and burning hydroids with a pencil torch, things seem fine after all the hullabaloo and the hermits are picking over all the areas where the polyps were, guess I missed a few little pieces.

NorthGaHillbilly

I went to the Atlanta Reef Club Sxpo today, alot of cool stuff. If I was into Zs and Ps Im sure id have popped a chub. Ended up coming out light with two new frags.

IMG_0067_zps82569336.jpg

IMG_0068_zps3ee66dfa.jpg

Im really diggin this brain, he was lookin pretty hungry. half a silverside later and he was happy.

IMG_0062_zps8ffda833.jpg

IMG_0061_zps3d0dc7fd.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Wish I was there......I get a nice chub form Z'z and p'z. I like the echinata and the chalice.

You might have popped a seam in your britches :lol:

Totally forgot... See what im doin here

IMG_0080_zps5b481601.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Nice job! That's a mighty fine lookin sump.

those are 6 pack silicone seams, but i think its going to work well. Going to be using some white light diffuser material to hold the sock, and theres enough room in there to fit a 302. Did you get yours?

Nanofreak79

My BM curve 5 started working so I returned it. I've heard only good things about them though. Should be a pretty sick skimmer, especially for the money. My cad skimmer should be here this week. They had it running for three days and replaced the bracket. Everything seems to be all good.

NorthGaHillbilly

My BM curve 5 started working so I returned it. I've heard only good things about them though. Should be a pretty sick skimmer, especially for the money. My cad skimmer should be here this week. They had it running for three days and replaced the bracket. Everything seems to be all good.

Glad they got you hooked up, watch out tho, they might steal your color scheme for a special edition

I think im going to give one a try, some people bitch about the pumps, but the actual fail rate seems pretty low. Im thinking about trying out a carbon reactor as well, but one step at a time.

Nanofreak79

There customer service is great. He did say he liked my color scheme. People like to bitch, it's how it is. Lol. There reactors look pretty sweet, although I've never used one myself.

NorthGaHillbilly

I was sitting there spot feeding today and I think I've come to a realization. Chalices come in some insane colors, but being as they are the hot item right now I dont see myself coughing up 100+ per eye for the prime pieces. Acan lords are cool, but also pretty hot right now and I am not so much into how the wild colors most often show as patterns repeated around the mouth. My favorite coral in the tank is the new Acan Echinata frag I got the other day, more random distribution of colors and MUCH cheaper to get prime rainbow colors. I think Im going to end up with QUITE a few before its all said and done.

Sump is still in the works, might be in on Sunday. I took and made two doors for the ghetto fab stand Ive got, so that when I have a light running on the sump itll be contained.

NorthGaHillbilly

Sumps online, still need to paint the background,bit its running well. Out for a wedding tonight, once I'm sober and at the house, ~8 hours from now, I'll do a proper update

NorthGaHillbilly

We'll here it is, seems to be running well and nothing seemed stressed during or after he change over

image_zpsdae3ded9.jpg

There some popping in the sock, it'll end up with salt creep, so I'm going to work on that later

image_zps316247db.jpg

ATO bracket

image_zpsb03d2b59.jpg

I'm really diggin the return, should be around 275 GPH and my flow really looks good. I've got 1000 from the wp10, 425 from the korilina and 275 from the return. 1700 GPH of goodness.

I've been blowing off the rocks and the bottom every little while to try and clean up some detritus now that I have to sock to catch it. I've got 200 micron socks, but I don't have a real grasp on how small that is, can anyone explain?

Nanofreak79

Sump,looks great GH. The socks I use are 200 as well. I think it's a perfect size. The lower you go the faster it'll clog. Any higher and you'll miss some smaller stuff. I guess it's personal opinion as well. My 200's clog up after 4-5 days.

NorthGaHillbilly

Still fighting nitrate, hovers around 10-15. I know it's due to my feeding, over feeding, but it's been a issue. A buddy of mine is breaking down a build he was working on, so I'm getting a precision marine rl100, seems like a solid skimmer, tho it hasn't gotten too much attention.

Small update coral wise, my red chalice has developed a purple growth edge, so its bright pink eyes, red body and deep purple edge... Now if it'd only grow faster

Archived