Top Shelf Aquatics

Nualgi additive review and testing...

Islandoftiki

I'm really excited now - whether it's snake oil or legit, I want to see how this turns out!

Yea I'm also interested in seeing the outcome. I have a sample coming and am trying to decide whether or not to use it. I just recovered from a bryopsis infestation, and a heavy dosing of peroxide. Tank is looking good and corals and recovering well.

Yea I'm also interested in seeing the outcome. I have a sample coming and am trying to decide whether or not to use it. I just recovered from a bryopsis infestation, and a heavy dosing of peroxide. Tank is looking good and corals and recovering well.

One idea is that even if you get a diatom bloom that isn't wanted, it might be better for your tank as maybe the diatoms would utilize nutrients before the bryopsis could? Just a thought. I don't know whether or not that would actually work.

Islandoftiki

One idea is that even if you get a diatom bloom that isn't wanted, it might be better for your tank as maybe the diatoms would utilize nutrients before the bryopsis could? Just a thought. I don't know whether or not that would actually work.

Yeah, I'd say that diatoms are a lot better than bryopsis. I can't say that I've ever heard anyone say that their tank was ruined by diatoms.

Yeah, I'd say that diatoms are a lot better than bryopsis. I can't say that I've ever heard anyone say that their tank was ruined by diatoms.

Agreed. You can siphon out diatoms far more easily than the other & your clean-up crew's more likely to help. ;) 10 minutes with some airline tubing and boom - ToTM-worthy sandbed.

Exactly, I'd welcome a few diatoms compared to what I had... Plus I've still got a ton of dwarf ceriths and a fer nerites which would enjoy that. I'll probably start dosing this when I receive it, just to give it a try.

Islandoftiki

From Facebook:

We have reviewed the omments on nano-reef forum re diatoms being better than byropsis. Also had similar question on another forum. Here's what we posted on our FAQ page today. You may want to provide this info to your nano forum members

Question: I have very little algae but I have been fighting diatoms for a couple of months. Would Nualgi help me or make my diatom problem worse?

Answer: There are a couple of possibilities:

-Nualgi may make the problem worse by causing growth of more Diatoms.

-When Nualgi is used better species of Diatoms will grow and these will out compete the present species growing in your tank. The new species will be better food for fish, so they will be consumed. In tanks in which Nualgi is being used, there are no complaints of excess diatoms, since the diatoms are being consumed. As you are having a problem with accumulation of diatoms, so it is possible that the diatoms growing in your tank are not being consumed, as they may be inferior species.

- It is possible that the brown algae growing in your tank is not diatoms at all but some other algae that is also brown. If so, Nualgi will help.

From Facebook:

I guess they are paying attention. They basically had no answer though... they said it might help but it might hurt. I'd like them to have some more actual information...
  • Like 1
Islandoftiki

Update - Day 2

Ok, so this evening, the water does look kinda weirdly clear. The acrylic doesn't usually get too dirty too quickly on this tank, so maybe I'm just noticing the cleanliness leftover from when I thoroughly cleaned it with a Mr. Clean magic eraser the other day when I changed the water. Hair algae, and small patch of cyano are unchanged. All of the mushroom corals, blue clove polyps and euphyllia look normal. I forgot to change the filter pad when I changed the water the other day, so I'll do that tomorrow.

As I mentioned, I went to happy hour last night, and we met up with my friend D (we'll just call him D for now), who I met through Nano-Reef.com. He has a semi-neglected (about 25-30 gallon) tank and he's going to be trying Nualgi on after seeing my Facebook post about it. I'll let you know what his findings are. He travels a lot for work and I don't think regular and weekly water changes always happen. His tank is fairly undemanding with mostly soft corals that would happily enjoy a few nitrates and phosphates. I'm curious as to what his experiences will be. I'm not sure that he's ever tested water parameters, so I kinda want to go over to his place and run a full panel of tests before he starts and again after the trial. I'll text him tomorrow and see if I can do that or at least get a decent sized sample of his water to run a full batch of test on.

• Like 2

The radula of limpets, such as Patella vulgata, contain large amounts of Si (up to 35%) and Fe (up to 51%), and substantial amounts of Al, Ca, K, Mg, Na, and P. The radula of chitons seem to be more variable, with Zn in particular varying substantially between species.18-21

I have keyhole limpets coming out of the wazoo in my system. I don't add any silicon, and they are thriving just fine

I had a sea rod hanging with some suction cups to one side of my tank. While I was travelling it fell down. The water movement caused it to rest in the front of the tank on the substrate. Now this thing is about a foot long with many branches. The part of the substrate it sat on probably didn't get good flow and there was a fairly large patch of diatoms. I hung the sea rod back, and increased both the MP10 flow a notch. No diatoms.

Ok, so count me in on this whole testing thing. Added my first dose (.4ml) this morning. My only issues currently are small spots of bryopsis which keep popping up, and a little hair algae as you can see. My lights are old so if this causes a diatom bloom, it'll probably thrive. As you can see I still have a very healthy dwarf cerith and nerite CUC, so I they'll love it.

http://s159.photobucket.com/user/rolyat150/media/DSC_0002.jpg.html'>DSC_0002.jpg

I've definitely had a diatom bloom for the past week (tomorrow is the second dose!). On the bright side; the diatom bloom isn't that terrible, just a light brown dusting on my rocks and sand.

Furthermore, I'm noticing a lot of "pearling" (as we call it in the planted tank hobby) from the diatoms, causing a few microbubbles to be blown around the tank (kind of looks like CO2 injection from an atomizer). To me, this suggests that I should have relatively high O2 levels in the tank. All my corals are still happy.

tldr; tank hasn't crashed yet because of Nualgi.

• Like 1

No effects yet since Saturday.

A single coral did bleach out a bit but a peice from the same colony is healthy,light intensity is the same and it wasn't moved. I'm assuming that it is not related to the nualgi dose but that's the only thing that's had changed since the start.

Islandoftiki

First notable effect:

This rock, the day I first dosed 5 days ago.

20140325_172831_zps6342c31f.jpg

Today:

D72589F6-orig_zpsda733e37.jpg

I'll run a full set of parameters in two days when I do a water change.

• Like 3