inTank Media Baskets

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Some update pics, the tank is really thriving lately. Skipped a WC back in September so went 14 days.. everything seems to actually enjoy that over doing weekly WC's. I did the WC last week, I'll probably do a smaller WC again tomorrow (maybe 25%). Continuing to feed reef roids, pellets, and dosing some very simple/ minor things.. I'll have to look later to recall, but I know Calcium is one of them. (Like 1 drop every 2 days or so).

21479623154_dbfe55c4c2_c.jpgIMG_0068 by Spencer, on Flickr

21914285770_c96b6fa467_c.jpgIMG_0096 by Spencer, on Flickr

Stumbled upon this massive aiptasia this evening. This stuff never truly goes away. For those that followed along my tank from the beginning, aiptasia was the first pest I ever experienced in this over a year ago. It has always been a battle, although nowadays what I usually just do is use my 1" hose and siphone the ENTIRE aiptasia right out of the tank haha. I have zero in the tank right now, perhaps some hiding.. but I usually just suck anything I don't like out during WC's and flush it lol.. So, I found this huge guy in the back!! It wasn't there at all last week when I did my WC' and replaced the filter pad!! Must have grew quick, probably a good place to catch food too..

21914284420_b46f87aed2_c.jpgIMG_0100 by Spencer, on Flickr

Emerald crab friends with a little scarlet hermit, picking some stuff off his shell..

22102477765_228cb2869c_c.jpgIMG_0090 by Spencer, on Flickr

Now, the babies...

21914589478_d1836682a7_c.jpgIMG_0087 by Spencer, on Flickr

21915543669_6c1ebfedb6_c.jpgIMG_0109 by Spencer, on Flickr

22076300456_dc969d2b1f_c.jpgIMG_0078 by Spencer, on Flickr

22102480625_bde3eb8321_c.jpgIMG_0073 by Spencer, on Flickr

I wasn't joking when I said they love the frog!!! :lol:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good, love to see clowns!

Thank you :)

Does anybody recognize this? Eggs?? Doesn't look like Clownfish eggs... it seems to have some fish-poop in it though haha. Not sure what it could be from.. It's like a net and it's suspended against the glass but it's not ON the glass.. It's just somehow sticking here, waving back and forth away from the glass.

22110083672_b936ae37ef_c.jpgIMG_4644 by Spencer, on Flickr

Oh, I also spotted that monster bristle worm tonight. I remember seeing him like 7 months ago, I'd say 2 to 3" length but fairly skinny. Not a fan of seeing that guy.. but he's obviously still in there and must be enjoying his night-life as I never see him (literally in 6 months). I grabbed tweezers and tried to get him, and I kinda got him but he slipped away really fast. Now I kinda feel bad, cuz perhaps I nearly split him apart in there.. but I don't think so, he was gone real quick after..

• 2 weeks later...

So, my emerald crab molted two days ago.. couldn't find him after his molt yesterday. Today when I woke up he was out and walking around... basically as if he was drunk. Like, sideways, legs going all out different speed, wasn't walking normal at all I could tell something must be wrong...

I come home tonight and he's in the same area except now he's on his back.. and his legs are just moving and he's moving his claws and such.. Honestly looks like he had some sort of stroke and now he has no balance and seems really bad. Feel so bad for him, he's moving there, his little tiny antenna above his eyes moving, I dunno what to do poor guy :( He's just sitting like on his back I just imagine like as if it were a human that lost all control/ reflex in their body/ brain.

I feel like something bad must have happened during his molt. Maybe he didn't do a good molt and somehow it's harmed him.

22393704616_f4470036e8_c.jpgFullSizeRender by Spencer, on Flickr

Did you try flipping him? i know freshwater shrimp often have bad molts so i assume marine crustaceans can as well

I flipped him yup, he's been walking around like he no longer has a brain :( Poor dude, maybe he will recover soon.. He's eating and just been chillin over with my YWG so.. will see what happens to him. I feel like the molt must have hurt him, I haven't touched the tank in over a week (haven't even put a hand inside) and nothing in my tank attacks each other so I think that's the only possibility!

Great tank! I just finished reading ALL 60 pages of your journey. I am getting ready to start my 1st SW tank. will be a 30 cube. I just recently cleaned(muriatic acid bath) my Pukani rocks, then bleached them. Right now they are soaking w/ a power head in some RODI water to make sure all acid and all bleach is off the rocks. Then into the tank to cure/cycle.

Thank you for making this thread! It is a pleasure to follow, and because of this I will probably do one of my own.

Great tank! I just finished reading ALL 60 pages of your journey. I am getting ready to start my 1st SW tank. will be a 30 cube. I just recently cleaned(muriatic acid bath) my Pukani rocks, then bleached them. Right now they are soaking w/ a power head in some RODI water to make sure all acid and all bleach is off the rocks. Then into the tank to cure/cycle.

Thank you for making this thread! It is a pleasure to follow, and because of this I will probably do one of my own.

Awesome dude! Very glad I could help in some way! Also, great idea on giving your rocks an acid bath to clean them.

I know many people are in favor of using true live rock / cured rock.. however, based on my experience with this tank almost 2 years running - I think in my next tank, I'll be going pure dry rock and being very meticulous with it to avoid the unwanted things..

Best of luck to you! Make a thread forsure, I'll keep an eye out for it and look forward to seeing your cube!

The acid bath seems to have worked great, but if you ever do one it will eat away a bit of rock. I should have some before & after pics of the rock. I will post them in my thread once I get it started.

• 3 weeks later...

My new... WRX!!! :D Sorry, I know this is my reef thread.. but I can't resist to share this!! Cars are also something I'm very passionate about!!

wow! very impressed with your car and the video. i been telling my wife i want a WRX for our second car after seeing your first one =)

Thanks Ninja, haven't heard from ya in a bit I hope you're doing well!! Going to have to catch up over on your reef! Hope the new house is coming all together too!!

I love love love love the new WRX man, it's such a fantastic car. I'll be posting alot of videos over on that channel of the mods/ updates I do it ahead! :D

Thanks Ninja, haven't heard from ya in a bit I hope you're doing well!! Going to have to catch up over on your reef! Hope the new house is coming all together too!!

I love love love love the new WRX man, it's such a fantastic car. I'll be posting alot of videos over on that channel of the mods/ updates I do it ahead! :D

I would totally get the WRX but really just need a beater car to drive to the train station so a WRX is kind of an overkill...maybe if I save up =). WRX keeps its value pretty well too so an used one is still a lot. If I were to get used, what's the best year to get?? I know Hondas go through mid cycle change 2-3 years after first model year. Does Subaru do the same??

I would totally get the WRX but really just need a beater car to drive to the train station so a WRX is kind of an overkill...maybe if I save up =). WRX keeps its value pretty well too so an used one is still a lot. If I were to get used, what's the best year to get?? I know Hondas go through mid cycle change 2-3 years after first model year. Does Subaru do the same??

Subaru's hold their value pretty damn well - atleast up here in Canada. My 2013 STI was more expensive than my new 2016 WRX haha... that's how well it held value. I actually got more back from insurance too after my accident for some of the things I put into it!

They really hold their value. I personally think the 2013+ Hatch or Sedan are the best ones' right now.. although, they're definitely their own type of vehicle. They do require upkeep and maintence, but overall they're really good value, reliable, and if it snows where you live... you'll be smiling like you never have before haha ;D

That new car love! ;)

:wub:

and if it snows where you live... you'll be smiling like you never have before haha ;D

:wub:

I'm gonna need a new car... later rather than sooner hopefully.

But you have piqued my interest. Our first snow this year = 6 inches and it's still coming down!

Sucks to see your previous pictures of your car after your accident.. That is awful. I always loved the subaru's and one day I will have one. I plan to have a collection of car, mostly of antique muscle cars but some newer sporty cars such as yours.

I went through a frustrating accident with my Mustang after a DUMB lady in her audi hit me.. Waited 11months to get my car back from the shop, but it looks great now. The passenger tire popped and they were brand new.. Some of the parts had to be salvaged due to the year of the car.

JUST THINK- this car is steel all the way around.. You know how hard the lady hit me to make the dent that big?

Z%20Accident_zpsrwyecv6k.jpg

Car after the shop and how it looks today.

Side_zps36eba095.jpg

20141014_162809_zpse1dae5a3.jpg

Since it took such a long time to get it back they patched up the trunk and painted the whole car instead of where the damage was.

NOW, BACK TO YOUR TANK AND PLEASE EXCUSE MY THREAD HIJACKING :happy:

Todays snow was brutal on the north side. My mdx plowed through it like nothing...just had to wait behind all the bmws sliding left and right...

Are the subaru's really as good in the snow as people say? My Acura TL is okay, but I was thinking of getting a truck for the nasty blizzards we have been getting.

Wow, nice looking Mustang!! I'm glad you were able to get that fixed too rather than it being written-off!

This is my third Subaru! It snows for more than half the year here though, and I actually feel the biggest smile plowing thru the snow in an AWD turbo car :DB)

This is my third Subaru! It snows for more than half the year here though, and I actually feel the biggest smile plowing thru the snow in an AWD turbo car :DB)

Man.. that sounds awesome! They seem to hold their value too. Even the old used models are pretty pricey. I gotta get me one of them.

Thanks. Car was handed down to me. Its over forty years old and runs like a beast. Just re did the engine compartment this past spring. Pulled it out myself and took it apart. Crazy how well the old stuff holds up.

Quick update..

Well, my emerald crab who was previously asking super off-balance and drunk managed to regain his strength. He was doing great for about a week, back to his usual self - but then I woke one morning and found him completely dead inside one of the barnacles. Perhaps the blenny wasn't happy with him in there, he didn't usually go in them ever (don't think there was ever anything in them for him to eat anyways).. All of my fish are very peaceful with one another, but I know the Blenny is an aggressive fish. Reluctant to add a replacement emerald because I know they can be super hit-and-miss in terms of them being good (or bad eating corals, aggressive, etc.) and I'm a little too worried about risking that considering how good everything else is together.

The 2 Clowns continue to love the Frogspawn beyond anything. Incredible, really .. I love how they host in it. I never ever thought I'd have clowns like this - especially in such a small 5 gallon nano... But, they seem as happy as always everyday and they continue to seem to eat more and more each time. Eventually I'll upgrade tanks if I can keep these clowns for a very long time...

Yellow watchman, I believe a female. I've read the females changes from their original dark yellow color to a dark color as she has done.

23431217656_7b616d0bf5_b.jpgIMG_0540 by kijho6, on Flickr

Probably my favorite coral in the tank besides the frogspawn. This is truly massive.. and funny enough, has moved on it's own! It detached from the rubble and has physically latched itself into its current position which seems to be perfectly away from the other ricordia above it to the left. It's awesome..

23374863001_c0dbd31fa4_b.jpgIMG_0553 by kijho6, on Flickr

There's so much going on in this one photo below, haha.. But, I'd like to point how out tiny that orange ricordia is. That is my longest lasting coral ever in this tank and it seems to get bigger / smaller occasionally.. still seems to be doing well though. It has not grown a single millimeter over the year I've had it (nothing compared to my other huge ricordia)...

22830227103_a8fbd15eae_b.jpgIMG_0544 by kijho6, on Flickr

23374862431_aff4d1d3fd_b.jpgIMG_0562 by kijho6, on Flickr

22830226443_a06c30c1c7_b.jpgIMG_0567 by kijho6, on Flickr

~ Cheers

Archived