Coral Vue Hydros

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soooo any coral suggestions? I want to pickup some small frags from the LFS. Looking for colorful / nice ones! (That will do well under a Cree fragbox LED)

Check out Zoas and Palys. They're easy to keep, cheaper than most corals, and grow in many different colors.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+599

For LPS, most of the types you're looking for, which branch or sway, are aggressive and require space from other corals. There are plenty of other more peaceful LPS, but most do not meet the description.

Soooo any coral suggestions? I want to pickup some small frags from the LFS. Looking for colorful / nice ones! (That will do well under a Cree fragbox LED)

NorthGaHillbilly

start off with some Zoas and get use to seeing the changes that coral can have over time, its tough to jump into something, expecially something like an lps where you have just one, or a few, polyps. If they get pissed off you can freak and think somthing is drastically wrong, next thing you know youve done more harm than good. After the small frags of zoas, mushrooms if you want to have some in there, then Id suggest going for something like acans, a plate, a small brain... Its a lot of fun to feed your coral as well as your fish.

I've also seen that LPS are most aggressive twords other LPS. I once had a chalice get half eaten by a frog spawn, when the frogspawn was rubbing on zoas all day long.

Some of my favorite easier to keep corals include

Softies: zoas/palys, mushrooms/ricordias, xenias, gsp, kenya tree, toadstool leathers

LPS: I personally love torch, frogspawn, and hammer corals. I have never seen them pose a threat to my other corals. Its all just about placing things in the right spot ;) I currently have a torch coral frag thats doing great in my Spec V

If you feel like your lights can handle SPS: Montipora (cap and digitata) and Birdsnest are easier to keep and a little less light demanding than most other SPS

NorthGaHillbilly

I'm a big fan of caps, and actually was given a birdsnest frag that has shown growth in only 2 weeks. With so little space I would probably hold out on the cap untill you felt comfortable with spending for one of the more flashy types. Birdsnest is great, my .75" frag has several branches and is splitting a new one since I got it, you can have a colony that is still small, but dosent look like a small colored stick that you end up with with most SPS

IMG_0140_zpsa0e5d8db.jpg

If you feel like your lights can handle SPS: Montipora (cap and digitata) and Birdsnest are easier to keep and a little less light demanding than most other SPS

Oh my god.. I just checked on my tank and panicked beyond anything. Couldn't find my Shrimp anywhere and I look inside the tank and I see THIS!!!

1510356_10152373046740309_59712836605542

All of his skin is off! I forgot completely that they molt/ shed their skins!! I just did some reading up now and it looks like that.

I managed to find him, he's under his rock a ways in. Had to turn the lights back on to see... he looks SO different. Such a different color he's actually RED now!! Can't believe this...

Is this good / bad? Really hope good!

Also - Do I leave his shed skin in the tank!!?

Thank you!!

NorthGaHillbilly

Id say good thing, I know they can molt from stress, but most of the time I understand it as a sign of a healthy tank. I would pull it out tho as you have a small tank and not many things to eat the molt.

Id say good thing, I know they can molt from stress, but most of the time I understand it as a sign of a healthy tank. I would pull it out tho as you have a small tank and not many things to eat the molt.

Gonna take it out tomorrow then! Should I be now dosing/ adding calcium or iodine to promote good growth for his new shell/ skin??

Reading up on this and there's a few suggesting that and few saying it's not a huge enough deal requiring adding that to the tank ..

some inverts eat their own molt but its just fine to remove it.

as for first corals i would go with zoas/palys. easy to care for and wont get out of hand. :D

best to take out the molt and just let things be. dont need to do anything else. let nature do its thing.

For beginner corals that wont die, try clove polyps, GSP, or Xenia. Keep in mind that they grow FAST so dont put them on your main rocks. I glued clove polyps to the back wall of my spec. I started with 5 polyps and now have about 20 in under a month.

Zoas are great and add lots of color to the tank. If you like flowing LPS, go for frogspawns and hammers. I plan to get both for my spec and just give them enough space. Note that frogspawns and hammers can generally touch each other but just not touch other types of corals. Start with a small one head frag and you should be fine. Acans are also great at adding color.

Cameron6796

You will eventually need to dose calcium, alk and magnesium for the corals maybe a little iodine to help during invert molts.

I would start with zoas they are colourful and grow quickly. For lps I'd say a frogspawn or hammer the cool thing with frogspawns, hammers and torch corals is they are immune to each others sting so you could do a whole tank of euphylia ( frogspawn, torch hammer corals) however I would maybe test one frogspawn or hammer first.

On a side note don't get Kenya tree I've seen horror stories of that stuff dropping its "babies" all over the tank.

Yesterday was my Birthday so no updates. Fed my Goby & Shrimp at their usual time and then headed out for the evening.

Came home to my Goby & Shrimp together under their rock. They seem to constantly be re-landscaping my sand... now I've got like nearly 3 inches deep in one spot and then some spots to the glass bottom lol.

Anyways, an update for day Day 28 - MY LIGHT IS ON THE TRUCK FOR DELIVERY!!!!! I should grab a coral on the way home hahaha!

At least you won't be 26 in America in May like moi!

Light just arrived at work, couldn't resist but to plug it in and test in the office haha. Looks AMAZING. Such nice color output I'm actually amazed in comparison to the plain white LED's that came with my Fluval. My Goby & Shrimp are going to be so excited tonight haha.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for some frags to pick from www.fragbox.ca for my tank???

If you could post some links I'd really appreciate it!

What light fixture did you wind up getting?

I posted a shot a few pages back from their site - It's the Halo Par 38 Cree LED from Fragbox!

Really excited to get home and try it out!! Should be perfect as I anticipate I may need a bit less light in some areas of the tank, and this is fully adjustable.

par-38-on-1000x1024.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Happy birthday my man, light looks solid too, interested to see a tank shot with it on!

Im a big sucker for LPS, so my suggestion is a few zoas and a acan frag. Not sure how much they run in Canada, but here atleast there are some cheap frags avaliable. Acans are a very cool coral and eat like pigs.

Happy Birthday man!

that par38 bulb looks awesome, you should be able to keep whatever you want with that (to a certain extent)

Happy birthday my man, light looks solid too, interested to see a tank shot with it on!

Where are the tank shots with the Par38? I might need to get one too ;)

Archived