ReefCleaners.org

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day # 29 ~ Day 1 of the Hammer Coral

Wonderful day today, I picked up a great looking Hammer coral from this awesome little LFS I found.

But first, we must do the parameter testing...

10177288_10152380550845309_3403787995270

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: Still approx. 15ppm Picked up some Chemipure to perhaps help with this??? Will continue my weekly water changes..

Temp: 77.5*F

Kh: Tested last week at 160ppm

On to the good stuff..

1897692_10152380549925309_35897962635859

10171090_10152380550060309_6440652509785

13967130536_1915fc50a0_c.jpgIMG_0247 by Shpixx, on Flickr

13987012802_fb4ab9be14_c.jpgIMG_0268 by Shpixx, on Flickr

720P goodness:

Today.. was a great day!

woah! i expected a single head hammer...not a colony! nice score!

same here. thats a nice looking piece

Thanks guys!

Do either of you know if the API Kh kit the same as the Elos Kh kit?

The API doesn't say the word "alkalinity" on it - but my Elos kit does... If they're the same I have to return one haha..

I'm just gonna assume it's the same haha, returning thet one kit I bought as I don't need it.

The calcium kit was also missing some contents so I'm exchanging that.

I should stay away from that store...... watch, I'll bring home an Acan :D

Cameron6796

Elos is better I would say, and sometimes the cheaper ones are inacurate compared to higher quality

That hammer looks amazing hope it does well if it does are you gonna do more :) :) :) :) ;)

Ps that colony should grow out well to be a nice fluffy ball of awesomeness

PPS I also think someone mentioned euphylia and other lps will fight so opposite sides of tank I guess lol

Elos is better I would say, and sometimes the cheaper ones are inacurate compared to higher quality

That hammer looks amazing hope it does well if it does are you gonna do more :) :) :) :) ;)

Ps that colony should grow out well to be a nice fluffy ball of awesomeness

PPS I also think someone mentioned euphylia and other lps will fight so opposite sides of tank I guess lol

Yup! I've got him in his own little coral.

If it does well and continues, I'd love to add something else of the same family close to it. (Frogspawn perhaps) .. but it all depends. I'm not even sure if you can put a frog and a hammer together ?

Surprise update coming soon....

you can put frogspawn and hammer together and even torch.

So.. are you saying... I should buy one of EACH?????? Because if you are... My wallet doesn't like you as much as I do.

hahahahaha

No but seriously guys I got a new coral today. Ha! Coming in next 30 mins !

Cameron6796
you can put frogspawn and hammer together and even torch.
Yep all are immune to each others stings. It looks really cool when you have an island... Or whole tank of wavy tentacles.

Yayyyyyy corals. What you get the acan. And yes get one of each but by doing so returning the acan may be only choice to avoid its demise. I'd wait for stable conditions or sign of progress in the hammer before going crazy. ( lets your wallet recover and practices your patience)

NorthGaHillbilly

If the hammer gets to stretching too long you can easily break off a few heads and trade them for other corals. I would stick with the two youve got for a while and see where those nitrates go.

If the hammer gets to stretching too long you can easily break off a few heads and trade them for other corals. I would stick with the two youve got for a while and see where those nitrates go.

Added Purigen + Chemipure tonight.

Yeah, I really hope these guys grow and that I can frag some heads off and sell/ trade them for other cool corals!

NorthGaHillbilly

Added Purigen + Chemipure tonight.

Yeah, I really hope these guys grow and that I can frag some heads off and sell/ trade them for other cool corals!

I expect everything will do fine. The hammer already looks pretty good, when there really upset they get scrunched up into a nasty little lump. Pics of this new coral... immediately :lol:

I expect everything will do fine. The hammer already looks pretty good, when there really upset they get scrunched up into a nasty little lump. Pics of this new coral... immediately :lol:

Day 30 (1 Month!):

Here's a FTS.. Do you see anything new? ...

10258781_10152382759325309_1539063164974

My Goby, Shrimp, and hammer in the background. You can see the cave they have going on. They love it..

10001434_10152382759370309_9129232491604

A quick shot of my Hammer. It's opened up here on day 2 of it's life in my tank even more. Seems very happy.

At night however without the lights it tightens up and tucks in. Haven't seen any long "reachers" come out yet!

10172869_10152382758990309_6785677993237

What's this? .. a new coral frag?..

10258028_10152382758820309_8212841270381

This guy opened right up too right when I put him in!! Already reaching out and eating it seems! (Some floaty particles of Mysis from my earlier feeding this evening!!)

1017005_10152382758900309_68868038277597

Really loving this light and how everything is fitting together now. I've said it before - can't believe I've made it this far haha! (As a first timer!)

I should add that I've done a good dip and acclimation to each of these new corals and inspected them with magnifying glass!

your shrimp been busy....your sandbed is like a tsunami. be careful with too much feeding =P.

He honestly changes my sand bed every single damn day... no idea why he just likes to change it.

He was living on the left side, now he's living on the right side of the tank lol. He eats during feeding time and that's about it, not too much left on the sand for him to scavenge later..

I just found a pretty big feather duster on my hammer :(

isn't that a good thing....

I thought it was considered a negative hitchhiker.. but now I'm reading that it's something some people desire?.....

hahahaha.. well, at least it LOOKS nice. I'll see what it does. Kinda a bit buried by the sand now from the shrimp.

Cameron6796

Wondering if the tentacle will bug the feather duster

Those stringy things on your coral are good i think... It was mentioned on another thread as a feeding response

Wondering if the tentacle will bug the feather duster

Those stringy things on your coral are good i think... It was mentioned on another thread as a feeding response

Yeah I did some research because I was a bit worried! But it turns out it's a response that it's pulling food in! :)

But I'll feed tomorrow and you're supposed to give them a bit of mysis! Perfect haha, my whole tank loves mysis.

Ill video tomorrow! I used to turn off all pumps when feeding .. Now I don't have to. The goby goes wild swimming everywhere darting at the mysis ! Eats em all and leaves a couple for my shrimp!

Archived