Pod Your Reef

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like too many things have died in my tank :( :( :( Feel like I'm a sh*tty owner...

RIP to my Goby :( I had him 7 months (after my first jumped). I'm really not sure.. I wonder if it's something to do with the mysis I feed occasionally. He would go crazy for mysis and eat it so quick. I bought it from my standard LFS and it was indeed a "brand name" food - I forget now, like Nutri-Ocean or something like that. It claimed to have been really safe and clean! :(

2 days ago he was completely fine 100% swimming perfectly. Yesterday morning is when I noticed he was outside his cave beneath the rock and he was acting quite differently. When I came home I noticed the "flakeyness" (which looked like flukes) around his gills.

I had a bad feeling though that he wouldn't make it. Woke up this morning and he's gone. RIP little guy :(

Most recent shot, you can see how good he looked here.. This was 2 weeks ago only!

https://flic.kr/p/qkfhXG'>15970364478_39a7e383c7_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qkfhXG'>IMG_7433 by https://www.flickr.com/people/125103418@N08/'>kijho6, on Flickr

I'm sorry to hear it man! With a tank as small as ours its pretty tough to keep many things. Most of the time, by the time you are able to realize there is a problem it is almost always too late. I'm not sure what might of caused this but it doesn't make you a bad reef keeper. Don't get discouraged dude, your tank is the reason I got into the hobby. I read through your thread one day and went out and got the Fluval Spec V.

Thanks very much for your support Cswan!! My plans now are going to just maintain my reef and let it hopefully live well. Maybe focus on some inexpensive corals like more Acans - now that I don't have any bottom tank fish I can place many corals down there..

My new ride :)

1743493_10153010908600309_26003800811124

reefernanoman

I feel like too many things have died in my tank :( :( :( Feel like I'm a sh*tty owner...

RIP to my Goby :( I had him 7 months (after my first jumped). I'm really not sure.. I wonder if it's something to do with the mysis I feed occasionally. He would go crazy for mysis and eat it so quick. I bought it from my standard LFS and it was indeed a "brand name" food - I forget now, like Nutri-Ocean or something like that. It claimed to have been really safe and clean! :(

2 days ago he was completely fine 100% swimming perfectly. Yesterday morning is when I noticed he was outside his cave beneath the rock and he was acting quite differently. When I came home I noticed the "flakeyness" (which looked like flukes) around his gills.

I had a bad feeling though that he wouldn't make it. Woke up this morning and he's gone. RIP little guy :(

Most recent shot, you can see how good he looked here.. This was 2 weeks ago only!

15970364478_39a7e383c7_c.jpgIMG_7433 by kijho6, on Flickr

Hang in there. We all have had ups and downs. I have killed my entire livestock before by making rookie mistakes, but at least I found out what I did so I wouldn't repeat the same thing again! In your case I think it's harder because you don't really know the reason. Sometimes, fish just die for no apparent reason.

Sorry everyone, life has been pretty hectic lately with work, getting all set with the new car and trying to sell my old car, etc.

Have a vacation next Friday I'm off to Toronto for 4 days so parents will just pellet feed and top-up for that time :)

Here's a quick shot of my ride! I've been meaning to head back to the LFS hopefully this week to pick a coral of some sort up!

10926435_10153016495565309_5096718843782

Well.. After 5+ Months of not spending much money on my reef I finally made it out to the LFS yesterday with some money to spend :D !! Can anyone ID this coral I picked up? I think some sort of blasto? Looks really neat can't wait for it to fully open...

1546299_10153034386060309_75466165942973

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning my NR friends..

I've been holding off on this update since I returned from my trip - because very sad and very upsetting to deal with. To keep this short, plain and simple - My 8 month female clown (which was the last of my pair) succumbed to sickness while I was away. I was gone but my parents were able to update me and sent a picture - she became very white very fast (less than 24 hours) and then just stopped swimming. Very very sad - I believe brookynella. So helpless :(

All my livestock has died in the past ~3 months. It's quite difficult to handle, and this is such a challenging hobby. I feel I've failed now, really. Almost feel like giving up. I still have all snails and my red hermit in the tank and all corals are thriving. I can see very tiny amounts of bubble algae beginning on the black side wall.

Not sure where to go from here or what my plans should be. I enjoy this hobby very much, but I've invested over $1,500 in the past 12 months and I only have pictures left to show as proof :( Right now I'm just leaving the tank alone, nothing inside except corals + CuCs. Will continue WC's and such.

I don't know if I want to wait a couple months and then see - perhaps add a shrimp back. I only have 1 rock and I feel the shrimp will just cause havoc!

~ Cheers everyone,

Sorry been slacking on updates with all your reefs. I've been watching many of them however and they're all looking so so wonderful.

Poor girl. :(

Sorry to hear your bad luck continues. Maybe a small break (just keeping up with with your current corals and CUC) to re-evaluate what you want to do with the tank would be a good idea. But don't get out completely! It really is a challenging hobby and there's a lot to learn and improve on!

I miss how my tank once looked.. :( Weny through my first page time-line.. brought so much sadness. My tank was so beautiful back when it was packed with corals. Even right before the bubble algae crash, it was so nice.

I'm not sure what I should do now. I'm kind of lost.. what direction should I go? I don't know. :unsure: I've got some small bubble starting to grow back on the glass/ back wall.. It sucks. How did so much bad stuff get in my tank? Disease, algae, etc?

I did that huge time span last year when I wasn't even doing WC's because everything was doing AMAZING - But then it seemed like overnight it just took a cliff-dive for the worse. I definitely can tell by doing WC's every weekend now, my corals aren't as plump. I skipped the WC this weekend, corals are back to being huge. Don't know what to do. I'm wondering if the corals like the nutrients / bacteria from not doing WC's.. perhaps do WC's and add a couple Ml drops of coral food from the bottles at the LFS?

Hey Kij. I know you're down about your recent bad luck with your tank but don't give up! If I were you I would basically restart. I would order some Reef savers rock (dry rock) from BRS and then clean out your current tank completely including your zoa rock to remove any and all algae. Then I would set up a new scape that you like and just progress forward from there. Stay positive man

Hey Kij. I know you're down about your recent bad luck with your tank but don't give up! If I were you I would basically restart. I would order some Reef savers rock (dry rock) from BRS and then clean out your current tank completely including your zoa rock to remove any and all algae. Then I would set up a new scape that you like and just progress forward from there. Stay positive man

Maybe I should take the Spec V out, take out the heater and put my old heater and leave it as a tank for.. quarantine or something perhaps I don't know. Maybe get the Nuvo 20, I've seen people running those stock lights and getting good results. I wouldn't need anything really except for minor things like some new media and I'd have to get some big buckets of Rodi + salt to pre-mix my own.

I'd want an ATO. Maybe I should just start saving up, about $1000 would be sufficient to kick off a Nuvo 20 with a good setup..

There are days when i want to take down my spec too. It's especially bad when something dies or algae outbreak happens. But then i think about all the time and money i already invested into it, and I am gonna ride it out as long as I can. Your tank will return to its glory soon. I like the idea of new scape. Since you don't have much rock in the tank now, just yank the bubble algae off the backwall / glass.

reefernanoman

Once my tank turned completely white because it over heated. It was a nasty smelly soup! I took everything out, cooked the LR, cleaned everything out, and restarted from scratch. Did I give up? No! After a couple of months it was thriving again. That's when I was new to reefing. I don't think that you should give up either. Mine was a 12g nanocube back then. My fish did fine too after cycling the tank. Good luck.

Miss this so much! I'm not gonna give up on the Spec V - I'm gonna wait out a couple months however until my tank is incredibly stable and running very smooth. Then I'll dive back into this with some livestock. Gonna go a new route possibly...

A small small arch or ledge dry rock - I'm going to DIY custom fab a cleaner lid for the tank - salt creep inhibit spray everything, everywhere - Patch up the hole in the sidewall.

Things will be back in due time. I can't wait.

Quick trip to the LFS Today. Saw some cool things, I think stocking plans eventually will be another (small*) clown Pair. Maybe I'll do orange this time, tank bred babies ofcourse so they will be small for a while. Eventually I'd love a cleaner shrimp perhaps this time, maybe some sexy shrimp. Can a Urchin (pincushion) survive in a Spec V like this? Saw some Tuxedo's and they were VERY active, I've never seen an urchin as active. Faster than snails moving along the sandbed it made me really want one haha! Had to pull up a LiveAquaria right there in the store to read up on them..

Very sorry for the poorly balance iphone shots.. (My main camera is currently hooked up to a Glidecam and I don't want to unbalance that haha..)

I picked up an Emerald Crab today. He's RED!!! Super cool...

16355466758_78582a71d2_c.jpg

Yikes, the color on this is REALLY off haha. This is literally RIGHT when I put the new frag in the tank. It will open soon I hope. Very beautiful looking coral at the LFS. Green star polyp.... Please feel free to take over my entire tank haha. :D:lol:

16357255377_92d232a1a8_c.jpg

Oh dear the new crab is already causing havoc.. piled a bunch of little sand rocks on the green acans.. they're not happy. I tried moving him to the other side and 5 mins later he went back LOL. Oh well.....(Eat the bubble above!!!!!) haha...

Also, my main rock (with all the zoa's) is seeming to "crumble" apart in one spot. Two big chunks of the rock are loose, I definitely don't want to pull them apart/ off and find out what creatures lay within.. Thinking of just putting the coral glue in the tank and a few dabs on so they stay together, thoughts? Haven't tried it before, not sure how the glue will do? I'll turn off all jets forsure..

I'd have no complaints if the GSP went everywhere, I'd turn it into a full GSP reef. It would literally be: 1 Tank. 10,000 GPS poly. 1 Crab. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm excited for this, I really hope things proceed positively in the coming weeks. I'm planning to do some big 50% WC's and then adding some of the bottled reef food in for my corals... they seem to all prefer dirtier water. I'll do big WC and add this special food then should be good!

I'd have no complaints if the GSP went everywhere, I'd turn it into a full GSP reef. It would literally be: 1 Tank. 10,000 GPS poly. 1 Crab. :lol: :lol: :lol:

omg, i was totally thinking about doing that for my spec. i was going to have GSP completely cover the arch rock.

that or go bare bottom and have GSP cover the bottom of the tank.

Archived