Cultivated Reef

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

Sooooo... whats the best way of swapping rocks out? How do I acclimate a rock haha.. (It was zoa's on it!)

Drip? (I've never dripped anything).. Cuz I don't think a rock will float LOL.

Hopefully picking the new rock up in the coming evenings this week and swapping.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New rock is in. Old rock is out. Spent a good hour plucking any miscellaneous random bubbles out. Also just slightly "evened" out my sand-bed without stirring much up at all. Swapped out filter floss and cleaned it up inside there. New rock looks beautiful but hasn't full opened (lights off now!) Looking forward to tomorrow. Yellow and green zoa's. Probably 75+ of them! Might find another nice rock like this - but I'd also like to litter the one side with ricordias :)

Clown & Goby were definitely a bit confused with the change. Goby came swimming out and went everywhere I quickly covered up afraid he might go for a carpet surfing attempt.. Clown was definitely a bit confused too but she's happily sleeping in her usual spot again.

what's that green thing buried in the sand? if it's acan, blow the sand off =P

Oh yeah it's the one big colony I've had .. it's so hardy it's been buried so many times and next day it just opens up from beneath nicely. Just left it today didn't wanna disturb much. Zoa's didn't come out too much today !

Everything is looking great! How's the acan? :closedeyes:

Id be watching you params could get aMini cycle

I don't think he would have a mini cycle, due to the fact that he's decreased his bioload significantly and probably a lot of nutrients, especially with the WC too.

His sand is mature and I doubt there is die-off from that new zoa rock. Even so, the bacteria in his tank should be able to handle it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reduced bioload how so?if you mean the loss of his clown Then I'd assume the system has already adjusted meaning the bacteria levels dropped because of less nutrients. Also he had lot of algae which was helping with the nutrient export so now that that is gone he has just the filter to remove nutrients which... He removed and put a fresh one in...taking out more beneficial bacteria so its possible to have a slight rise in ammonia or nitrates. However he may see no difference.

Thx for the feedback guys ~ Yup, watching params and activity closely! Going to be doing another WC tonight I believe as for some reason that one acan colony just seems... "loose." I seem to have an issue with things just "popping out" of their skeletons lol. Although it hasn't happened yet.. I am keeping an eye on that.

Thank is 9 months in, I only change the filter pad not the media though. Still some bacteria in there!! :)

Params.. Whew, I feel like I'm going back in time to the beginning haha. I haven't tested in quite some time, had to glance over the instructions again...

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 10ppm ... the return of the nitrates. dun dun dunnnnn. :lol:

Salt: 1.34 ... Will continue to monitor past this WC.

General:

New rock is doing well, and so are all of my corals. I was getting a bit worried about my one large acan colony but it's seemingly doing better. I've turned my light on earlier today, perhaps I'll continue doing so for a little bit.

Lots of zoa's are opening, however many still haven't opened. They're quite small however, I may add some mysis and syringe it around them to see how they respond to that. May all spot feed the acan's.

Had 2 very small aiptasia's pop up from the black side (filter) wall. Instead of wasting time and trying to x-them.. I just sucked them completely out of the tank using the siphon during my WC hahaha!! Goodbye aiptaisia's!!!

Clown seems so much happier. Swims everywhere, literally all over the tank!! Sometimes she even goes down in the sand and kind of pushes into it which she never used to do... probably because not enough room. Loving the look. I can fully clean the glass now too.

Will post pics in the coming days! :) Some nice Boxing Day sales coming up at the LFS... maybe I'll swing by. On the look out for some ricordia's again possibly. Maybe if the LFS would give me a small (I mean very small, like 2 inches size) rock covered in purple.. I shall ask haha. (From their big DT?)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

15912114867_e3bfeba624_c.jpgIMG_7337 by kijho6, on Flickr

and here's a side profile, somewhat blurry - shot of the new rock ;)

16095962861_87f1be1385_c.jpgIMG_7303 by kijho6, on Flickr

Haven't stopped in in awhile,sucks about the bubble algae man,hopefully you get things in check.

Since salinity is high,I'd mix water change water a little low to try and get it down,it should help. Might also be why things look a little "rough" and things not opening.

Haven't stopped in in awhile,sucks about the bubble algae man,hopefully you get things in check.

Since salinity is high,I'd mix water change water a little low to try and get it down,it should help. Might also be why things look a little "rough" and things not opening.

Holy crap, thank you for pointing this out to me. My god, what was I thinking... I completely forgot!!!! 1.34 is way too high. Damn!!!!!

Just went and topped up a good amount of distilled, brought it down slightly. Will continue to watch and aim to bring down slowly..

Hahhaa not a problem man :D !! Remember,slowly is the key. Some people keep it at 1.023-1.024. I keep mine at 1.025-1.026 but I keep sps as well.

Well, I've woken up this Christmas morning to find my amazing (tiger pistol) shrimp dead. It genuinely looked like he was molting last night - but this morning, he's 100% not alive. Feel pretty sad about this, I'm not sure why or how it happened. Everything else was doing amazing yesterday. Goby is literally just sitting right beside the corpse not moving :( I'm not sure if I should get a new one or not...

RIP Shrimp :(

Oh no! That really sucks. Sorry to hear about your poor shrimp! :(

I have no idea how :( He looks messed up though, like the Goby got him or something I don't know! It looks like he's half molted - some of his "skin" is shed off but he's motionless and not alive at all :( Really disheartening for Christmas day.

=(. maybe he got attacked mid molt?

I feel like my Goby may have un-intentionally bashed him up while he was molting. He seems to have "broken" sadly, very sadenning. Half of his molt is still on him, but he wasn't alive. I know my Goby gets real hyper sometimes and darts around. Maybe he darted into his cave :(

Boxing day tomorrow I may be on the hunt for something new. Not sure if I wanna go down the route with another pistol shrimp, however. I'd like to focus on a beautiful livestock piece (such as a blenny) versus another shrimp. Also, focus on smaller easy frags like ric's and build this tank back up to a thing of beauty!!

That $450 Nuvo 20 was on a Boxing Day sale for 40% discount so $275. I wanted it... so bad. But, the wallet says no....

I will find it on sale again in the New Year when I can upgrade :) Maybe I'll go pickup a cheap ricordia today, 25% off I see..

Archived