SaltCritters.com

Kijho's Fluval Spec V - Retired (almost)

Kijho

NorthGaHillbilly

dude, dont get a spec v for a qt tank, take a 10 gallon tank, ~$15 dollars, get a hang on the back filter and copper treat them or do a hypo salinity treatment. With a heater and filter and tank your looking around $45.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dude, dont get a spec v for a qt tank, take a 10 gallon tank, ~$15 dollars, get a hang on the back filter and copper treat them or do a hypo salinity treatment. With a heater and filter and tank your looking around $45.

I can get the Spec II or III tanks for like $30-$40 I think. I'll start a QT/ Pre QT / Frag tank maybe :)

OR I'll go that route. Gonna check LFS's tomorrow after work I'll try to leave a bit early.

Cameron6796

Honestly get a cheap setup as quick as possible and get all fish out even if the goby doesn't show it it's in the reef and could take a few months to rid the system, you can get meds for the ich but can't put it in the display. Talk to a lfs if you have a trusted one. Once you set up the qt get the fish out and do a wc on the display and use that water in the qt. Whatever it is you want all fish out.

Honestly get a cheap setup as quick as possible and get all fish out even if the goby doesn't show it it's in the reef and could take a few months to rid the system, you can get meds for the ich but can't put it in the display. Talk to a lfs if you have a trusted one. Once you set up the qt get the fish out and do a wc on the display and use that water in the qt. Whatever it is you want all fish out.

Really? I don't know how my Goby/Shrimp/Clowns/Emerald/Snails will all do in a QT. Or do you mean just the fish only? Goby/Clowns?

Was going to just pull my two clowns out and put them in something. I'll either pickup a Spec III or a 10Gall with a cheap HOB filter running and heater.

Cameron6796

Your corals and inverts will be fine without the fish and won't be affected or carry ich if I'm correct, and will do fine with reg maintenance. Keep the qt as clean as possible to keep the ammonia down and other water parameters safe you want to feed no extra than needed. Dose a medicine as it says and things should be alright. If you have any filter media laying around put it in ur display so it can build some bacteria as well, you don't want a mini cycle in the qt.

Your corals and inverts will be fine without the fish and won't be affected or carry ich if I'm correct, and will do fine with reg maintenance. Keep the qt as clean as possible to keep the ammonia down and other water parameters safe you want to feed no extra than needed. Dose a medicine as it says and things should be alright. If you have any filter media laying around put it in ur display so it can build some bacteria as well, you don't want a mini cycle in the qt.

I'll toss the clowns in a 2-3Gal tmrw. With a small amount I can do WC's every second day probably.

(Just realized a 10gal would cost me a bit because I'd need to either get the distilled water & salt to fill it and mix, OR I'd need my pre-mixed reef water with all the nutrients which would cost a penny too... probs going 3Gal... 10Gal's doing WC's that often would be in the $100's for me...)

If my Goby shows any signs I'll put him in right away after too. Will start medicating them on some ich stuff.

Cameron6796

Yes just the fish inverts won't host the ich if that's what it is. Get them out ASAP. I've seen it go down hill quick you need a heater a filter and a tank basically. Get all fish out its likely types are al infected and I would never take the risk.

I wouldn't put them in a smaller tank then they already are in that will increase mortality because of stres I honestly think that's what caused the ich. When. Cramped and stressed they become vulnerable. So honestly I wouldn't cheap out and once you have it you have it forever and can use it when you need it.

Also put them all in because if you don't you basically have to start over because if you re introduce it you have to start over rather be safe then sorry. Also if you over dose the meds its dangerous so if you dose for clowns and then a few days in need to start over due to the goby it could be detrimental to the clowns.

Sorry about the clowns. Looks like Ich but could also be the start of Brooklynella:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/brookynella.html

My occy came down with Brook and died in QT in a matter of days as I didn't diagnose propperly and didn't have correct medication on hand. Even a bucket with a heater, fresh salt water and an air bubbler will do as QT until you can get a tank set up. QT doesn't need to be anything special, I used my old sump when I was in a pinch, baffles and all.

NorthGaHillbilly

Yes just the fish inverts won't host the ich if that's what it is. Get them out ASAP. I've seen it go down hill quick you need a heater a filter and a tank basically. Get all fish out its likely types are al infected and I would never take the risk.

I wouldn't put them in a smaller tank then they already are in that will increase mortality because of stres I honestly think that's what caused the ich. When. Cramped and stressed they become vulnerable. So honestly I wouldn't cheap out and once you have it you have it forever and can use it when you need it.

Also put them all in because if you don't you basically have to start over because if you re introduce it you have to start over rather be safe then sorry. Also if you over dose the meds its dangerous so if you dose for clowns and then a few days in need to start over due to the goby it could be detrimental to the clowns.

I completely agree, if you go with a little bity QT your just adding to the stress. Stress = health problems.

Cameron6796

Basically the ich is in your tank and will find the goby if it hasn't already. You don't dose meds to get it off their skin you dose to get it out of their gills so you goby is already affected most likely also that's why the clowns are breathing heavily. Also on e healed I'd consider getting rid of the clowns for their own good.

Also keep in mind that some species of Ich can survive for 30+ days without a host in a tank so make sure the QT is large enough for the fish to live in for at least a month or so. Pick up some mid size PVC pipe elbows and 'T' pieces to provide hiding places and shelter for the fish in the QT.

Well this is gonna be really sh*tty then because I can't fit / spend on a 10gal (why I've only got a Spec V setup) .. ugh.

Mixing SW isn't in my ability at this point which is why I've been buying premixed reef water.

so sorry to hear this. i had ich in both my tanks before and it sucks. lost all my fish and had to start over by leaving it fishless for 9 weeks. i dont have the space or time to setup a QT either. good luck in fighting this. if you do get a QT, remember ALL your fish need to go into it for 8-9 weeks, including your goby.

Cameron6796

Literally a dresser or table will work if u have to you just can't put fish rated for 15 gallons In 3 g qt that alone will kill them

NorthGaHillbilly

Well this is gonna be really sh*tty then because I can't fit / spend on a 10gal (why I've only got a Spec V setup) .. ugh.

Mixing SW isn't in my ability at this point which is why I've been buying premixed reef water.

I think your underestimating your abilities. A 5 gallon bucket, 2.50 at home depot, salt in a bag and distilled at .88 per gallon. You can mix it with a plastic spoon if you need to.

that does not look like ich. try a fw bath for a few minutes, see if anything falls off. you need to match the temp., ph, and salinity for the whole time the fish is in there.

i am not sure what it is, but it looks like something that can be treated with prazipro...

there is a lot of cool stuff to read on RC's fish disease forum, i suggest you take a look:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87

PDXJonathan

Sorry to hear your fish are sick Kijho! I've been following your tank for months and it's a bummer that they aren't doing well. I hope everything turns out ok!

I think your underestimating your abilities. A 5 gallon bucket, 2.50 at home depot, salt in a bag and distilled at .88 per gallon. You can mix it with a plastic spoon if you need to.

+1 all of this.

A Qt tank isn't expensive, you don't even need a filter. It isn't going to be cycled anyways so just anything to move water to keep it aerated will work. Pump, air pump, whatever.

I'll toss the clowns in a 2-3Gal tmrw. With a small amount I can do WC's every second day probably.

(Just realized a 10gal would cost me a bit because I'd need to either get the distilled water & salt to fill it and mix, OR I'd need my pre-mixed reef water with all the nutrients which would cost a penny too... probs going 3Gal... 10Gal's doing WC's that often would be in the $100's for me...)

If my Goby shows any signs I'll put him in right away after too. Will start medicating them on some ich stuff.

Pull the clowns AND the goby out. For future reference, you have to treat all the fish or you will just reinfect everything. Don't waste your time only treating some fish. Signs don't mean shit, it infects the gills first, how you going to see it in a fishes gills if its there?

That does not look like ich, it looks like flukes. Qt them all and treat with prazipro for 1 week. Flukes should die off in 8 days or so in the tank without a host (according to life cycle online).

If you don't want to QT, I have used prazipro in my DT before. Use at your own risk but googling will show you many people have done this. It pissed my mushrooms off but nothing died. Skimmer has to be turned off, after the 5-7 day treatment, 50% water change. Do a 2nd treatment at least 3 days later if necessary. Prazipro kills adult flukes but not eggs.

Ich is tiny grains of salt, here is a closeup of flukes. Flukes are very common, and if you didn't treat your fish with prazi before they went in the DT, it is no surprise that they would show up. They live in the gills but when numbers increase, you start to notice them elsewhere.

iKDB1ZXFzGcjE.jpg

Cameron6796

Nope I'd do praxi out side of td since the eggs will live so the tank needs to be free of fish for a while or it will just restart. Think I just heard someone jump in my pool after midnight, lives in Canada but wants gun just to scare ppl

Sorry about your clowns :(

I mix my salt easy enough just throw distilled water in a bucket, measure out the salt and put it in, then I just mix it with my hand until it's dissolved and wait for it to clear then it's ready for the tank, I haven't had problems doing it that way.

I also had to set up a hospital tank for my anemone a bit over a week ago since it got sucked into the intake, I just got a cheap tank, used water from my DT, some rock from it, cheap filter and air stone and put the nem straight in and have been monitoring the levels.

Hope you can work things out with out to much stress.

I mix my salt easy enough just throw distilled water in a bucket, measure out the salt and put it in, then I just mix it with my hand until it's dissolved and wait for it to clear then it's ready for the tank, I haven't had problems doing it that way.

You don't match temp to tank temp?

You don't match temp to tank temp?

nope, I tried with the heater sitting in there for 2 days and the temp wouldn't come near the tank temp. So I went to the LFS asking about better heaters and he told me I was over thinking things and that if I'm only doing say a 20% water change I shouldn't need to heat it and he gave a convincing opinion about how they handle it in the ocean when it rains and storms and the temp drops. I do the change now without heating it, the tank heater gets the temp up in a short time (maybe up to a couple of hours) alot shorter than heating the bucket have no idea why though. He said if I was doing a bigger WC that I would need to heat it obviously.

Haven't had any problems yet but then it's only been running for nearly 4 months, so I guess time will tell.

It doesn't look like Tropi has sensitive corals. I personally would not risk that in a SPS dominated tank. If the LFS didn't ask what your livestock was then he needs to be slapped.

I realize there are sometimes dramatic changes in the ocean but our tanks don't perfectly mimic the ocean and there is probably other stress factors they already deal with so why add another.

Archived