Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mr. Aqua 17.1 - tank crash :(

hinnenkm

Wow beautiful pics! This tank has some really cool critters :)

I'll be following your insta for more updates

Saw that you found me on instagram, working on updating this thread right now :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So as usual, several changes since I have last updated... having 3 tanks I tend to move things around and what not, but the 17 gallon has been pretty stable for awhile now as far as the livestock. I keep adding to it with corals, but just about everything I had from before is still in there :)

Current fish stocking: pair of clowns, radial filefish, banded pipefish, and an ochre striped cardinal.

Inverts: fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, tiger sand conch, pom pom crab, anemone crab, and sand sifting starfish

Corals: softies, acans, zoas, and misc lps

Now some pictures:

28448152260_7eb47907c1_b.jpgIMG_0266 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28448187480_fcdcc82817_b.jpgIMG_1009 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28448186580_c91870f878_b.jpgIMG_1011 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28732416735_58b0aa499d_b.jpgIMG_1045 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28655241541_52bbf5bfc6_b.jpgIMG_1044 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28732412435_a4f98572c6_b.jpgIMG_1059 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28448205370_3084659843_b.jpgIMG_1264 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28448219950_0a5baab8c1_b.jpgIMG_1469 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28448213660_7cc29fc269_b.jpgIMG_1413 by katieh4002, on Flickr

I'm super excited about that large paly because I've wanted one forever and my lfs finally fragged them! Also, the full tank shot is pretty accurate, with the exception of fragging my green nepthea and then moving the green palys in the front corner to a different tank. The box in the top left has some of the nano conchs until I can share them with my coworkers who have tanks as well!

Comments, questions, and suggestions on how I can improve both my reef and my photography are always welcome. Thanks!!

~Katie

Nice tank!! Love the pictures.

Thanks much, love your tank and pics as well - I follow you on instagram as well as here!

what are you feeding your pipe fish?? i may get one once i upgrade my nano from 5.5g to 13.5g.

He (or she) eats everything I feed - frozen hikari mini mysis, a couple of the LRS brands, and live baby brine from time to time. I've had it almost a year and a half now and it's one of the coolest fish by far!

He (or she) eats everything I feed - frozen hikari mini mysis, a couple of the LRS brands, and live baby brine from time to time. I've had it almost a year and a half now and it's one of the coolest fish by far!

LiveAquaria says they require 50 gallons but I am guessing that's only for ones that require live pods? That's really nice yours eat frozen.

LiveAquaria says they require 50 gallons but I am guessing that's only for ones that require live pods? That's really nice yours eat frozen.

Yeah, I would imagine that it's for the pods. I've always done pretty well transitioning my fish to frozen by mixing either pods with the frozen or baby brine with the frozen and then turning powerheads off and target feeding. They usually get the hang of it and I've done that with the pipefish, mandarins, and my ruby red pair. You should get one of these guys, super fun to watch and something not a ton of people have seen!

Wow, that's really cool to see how well the pipefish is doing. I've often thought of getting one but was scared off by the 50g min tank size and "only put in a tank with sea horses and low flow" warnings from Live Aquaria. Sounds like you're breaking all the rules :lol:

Wow, that's really cool to see how well the pipefish is doing. I've often thought of getting one but was scared off by the 50g min tank size and "only put in a tank with sea horses and low flow" warnings from Live Aquaria. Sounds like you're breaking all the rules :lol:

Yeah, he's been fun! I don't know if I'm breaking 'all the rules' ;) but I do like to test things a bit... I've had quite a bit of success though which is a lot of fun. I would imagine the flow part is pretty important because they're not super strong swimmers and in my tank I've don't have a ton of flow, so it's not too hard for him to get around.

I like the pipefish, clowns don't bother him?

Thanks! They have never bothered him, they're all pretty peaceful :)

Love this tank!!

I am going to be getting a pipefish for my 75g at some point. I have seen people with them in high flow SPS tanks just fine, most seem to take to frozen after awhile. One of the websites even had captive bred banded pipes already eating mysis for anyone who wants to skip a step! Live Aquaria is sometimes a bit dated I think but i supposed they don't want people new to the hobby buying fish that may need a bit more thought put into their care.

Great tank! Just went through the thread. So this tank is around 2 1/2 years old huh? What is your maintenance schedule like? It's a pretty simple setup with a pretty decent bioload, so just curious. Keep up the good work!

Love this tank!!

I am going to be getting a pipefish for my 75g at some point. I have seen people with them in high flow SPS tanks just fine, most seem to take to frozen after awhile. One of the websites even had captive bred banded pipes already eating mysis for anyone who wants to skip a step! Live Aquaria is sometimes a bit dated I think but i supposed they don't want people new to the hobby buying fish that may need a bit more thought put into their care.

Thank you - I think you'd really enjoy the pipefish! Let me know how it goes, when or if you decide to get one :)

Great tank! Just went through the thread. So this tank is around 2 1/2 years old huh? What is your maintenance schedule like? It's a pretty simple setup with a pretty decent bioload, so just curious. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the compliment! You're right on the age. It was 2 years in February and I still love it. There are some things that I'm considering doing differently, but not sure yet. There is definitely nothing special about my maintenance or equipment. I've got an Aquaclear 30 that I run with some foam and then Chemipure Elite, a Hydor 240 (which I would like a bit more flow), and my Nanobox Duo (my one higher end thing on this tank). As far as maintenance, I do a water change of about 5 gallons every week to week and a half or so. I was in Puerto Rico for 10 days this summer and it went just fine that whole time without a water change.

So I am just starting to use Tropic Marin Bio Actif salt after going to a chemistry presentation at my LFS by a Tropic Marin rep. The LFS exclusively uses Tropic Marin and their stock is always amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing what this will do to my tank as I continue water changes with this salt.

Also, that same LFS just celebrated their anniversary and had some great sales and amazing give aways. I don't ever win anything and today I got the call that I am getting the new Apex controller!!!! Couldn't be more excited, but definitely am going to need some tips and tricks once I get it.

My thoughts are to use it more for monitoring, as I still want to be very involved with the tank. For sure temperature, feeding when I'm gone, and I really want to figure out how to attach a webcam :)

Some evening shots of the tank, this really is my therapy!

29035146575_163a45bef0_b.jpgIMG_1651 by katieh4002, on Flickr

29035154215_c89b77145f_b.jpgIMG_1794 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28748924390_492982b129_b.jpgIMG_1795 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28959227461_9c911944d8_b.jpgIMG_1796 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28748929850_d4e0d8961f_b.jpgIMG_1797 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28748932220_b26742caf5_b.jpgIMG_1798 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28748935020_584ac3a5db_b.jpgIMG_1793 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28748938230_7e621f901d_b.jpgIMG_1792 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28929909552_c762392e3e_b.jpgIMG_1791 by katieh4002, on Flickr

28748937630_1aa3d7d95a_b.jpgIMG_1790 by katieh4002, on Flickr

The new FTS is beautiful! I love the colors and textures in your tank.

Oh, and congratulations on the Apex. You'll hate it while you figure out how to get started, but you'll love it once it's all set up :)

Great photos and video Katie

You were the one that won the Apex at New Wave?! Congrats!!

If you ever want to downsize to the Apex Classic I have a brand new one in box I'd trade + cash for that one. wink wink

Archived