Innovative Marine Aquariums

Removing Bio Balls newbie question

Mjf952

Super newb here. I'll start by saying this forum & it's member's are the best. After spending hours upon hours weekly of surfing the threads I've learned more than I ever thought possible. So thank you everyone.

With that being said I currently have a 5 week old Bio 29, an inch & a half of live sand & about 25 lbs of live rock. My tenants if you will are a good mix of a cleanup crew, a peppermint shrimp, pistol & YWG. Everything has been running great so far. My levels remain consistent however my nitrates never seem to drop below 10-15. I'm really interested in transitioning from the stock bio balls to the In-Tank basket & running a Fillter Floss / Cheato / Chemi Pure Elite setup in chamber 2 & probably Purigen to replace the stock sponge in chamber 3. My question is what kind of timeframe is optimal for removing the bio balls, obviously not all at once but a little each day over a week until they are all gone & then installing the In-Tank setup?

Of course everyone has their own personal opinion, to cheat or not to cheat :D but I have read nothing but positive things about that setup. Any help with this confusion is greatly appreciated!

Ive removed bioballs all at once and it shocked the tank.... I had live rock as well!!!! I would slowly remove the bio balls over a 2 week period.

Ive removed bioballs all at once and it shocked the tank.... I had live rock as well!!!! I would slowly remove the bio balls over a 2 week period.

That's sucks! Thanks for the heads up Jaden. I know people say they have success with them but they seem like nothing but a down the road headache. I wish I had known better from the jump I would've modified filtration prior to starting up the tank. Anyone else ever gone from bio balls to a media basket?

That's sucks! Thanks for the heads up Jaden. I know people say they have success with them but they seem like nothing but a down the road headache. I wish I had known better from the jump I would've modified filtration prior to starting up the tank. Anyone else ever gone from bio balls to a media basket?
Plenty of us have! Just remove a 1/4 of them every 3-4 days. Then once they are all removed siphon the detrius out of the back and install the media basket.

Archived