Top Shelf Aquatics

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Damn! I live in Columbus. I've never noticed the RFA and clowns when I have visited the zoo. I have seen their beautiful ginormous cardinals though! Sounds like I have an excuse to go to the zoo again. :)

its a fun zoo my kid loves it. We're probably going to cinci next zoo trip since that was our second trip to columbus... what my son takes away from the zoo at 2.5, (what did you see at the zoo today?... I see a T rex... rawrrrrr)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think just water changes and maybe it just so happened at the same time the conches came and ate a little green stuff. So I knew it was slowly on the way out but just took forever it seemed. I got one of those Eshopps coral viewers so next time I plan on better pics of the nems. Seems like my best pics were in the 34 g when they were in Maiden's Voyage.

I love the shot with the two conchs in the background. They make me think of buffalo roaming the prairie. ;)

The tank is really maturing nicely. I'm so jealous of your RFA collection!

I love the shot with the two conchs in the background. They make me think of buffalo roaming the prairie. ;)

The tank is really maturing nicely. I'm so jealous of your RFA collection!

You know I lost some of course but now I'm wondering if I have enough to sustain all my inverts. Mainly the conchs. May have to get some nori when I go to the health food store. How's your baby doing that split? I think it would be awesome to have a species tank, like an Evolve 8 w/ that in there. I don't plan on getting any more RFAs until VIP has some this Jan, or if I can go and pick one out of the ocean myself. I made a bucket list after my husband died, I want to do some things on this list, some are minor, some are larger. I guess after he passed I didn't want to let life go by and him think, what did you do after I was gone? So, on my list is to pick one rfa from the ocean myself. I will make that happen. Another smaller thing, is learn to play poker- probably start that next month.

cute urchin, the way my overflow is im afraid to get one but they are some gloriously cool critters.

Yeah, for cool critters I recommend KPAquatics. The one pictured is a nano sea egg, not sure how they differ really from urchins except that the spines are softer.

I have babies!!!! 20 babies for sure. So, 3 mos from the time the male spawed to the babies showing in my tank today. I may have more than that but those are the ones I saw that were large enough to tell. Some are on the left rocks and sand. I saw a green, some maroons and white and either a yellowish or orange. I also saw what looked like a gazillion pellets on the right side of the tank and if those are babies then I'll be in heaven. I even found one attached to the glass. In a few days I'll hopefully know. I'm in heaven right now though!!!!!!

I fed all 29 nems in there today and also gave some cyclopeeze and turned off the skimmer. I might move some to a smaller container on the right side of the tank and just leave the ones alone that are on the rock in a week or so, until I see what's going on, but if they appear to be growing well on their own then I won't. Let nature do what nature does.

I tried to take a pic but they didn't turn out. But here's my tank I'm so thrilled with. No cyano now!!!!!!

Very cool... You're going to single-handedly fix the RFA supply shortage :)

It's nice to feel that the money put in to buy all these nems, I just made 20 of them. I'll be putting some phytofeast, oyster feast and cyclopeeze into the water more frequently to help 'em all out- you can't feed such tiny little things. I'm sure it'll be spring or early summer before any are large or healthy enough for me to sell if I want to.

I'm curious to see what the color combinations are like. You'd have to know what the particular parent pairs are to make an meaningful 'scientific' study - but it will be fun to see what you get in the end.

This much I know. White is female. Maroon w/ what used to look like a green N is male. So maroon and white combo or whatever's more dominant.

021_zpsf66b6b51.jpg

And this was the other female that released. So maroon and this orange purple ticked w/ green outer. But there were other colors present like green and either a yellow or orange so who knows what's in their background.

031_zpsc8320a04.jpg

But someone else was apparently releasing because there are what look like a crapload of baby nem pellets on the right side of the tank so since I'm not there to witness all the spawning games, that will be a guessing game. Lord I hope those are all nems. I'll keep you all posted. It feels like Christmas!!!!

Just more pics because I'm excited. And here are more babies. And there are many bunches like this. I wish I knew what female(s) spawned today because those were not there yesterday. So these are fresh bundles of joy!!!

3023_zps9aa1cbe2.jpg

3035_zps818906d4.jpg

3029_zpsb7a4ce7e.jpg

3032_zpse8986849.jpg

3034_zps7e227661.jpg

3013_zps75380319.jpg

3017_zpsc0dcb614.jpg

3024_zpsa712eb0c.jpg

3025_zps289f5464.jpg

3027_zps6e90bca4.jpg

3028_zpsdf3f7ffb.jpg

Just more pics because I'm excited. And here are more babies. And there are many bunches like this. I wish I knew what female(s) spawned today because those were not there yesterday. So these are fresh bundles of joy!!!

3023_zps9aa1cbe2.jpg

Man, if only you had a camera that you could shove under the water for some high-res macros, so that the ID could be more certain lol

I'll be putting some phytofeast, oyster feast and cyclopeeze into the water more frequently to help 'em all out- you can't feed such tiny little things.

For tiny mouths in my tank I've been using goniopower. It's a fine powder that's small enough for even filter feeders, and it sinks easily (I mix it with tank water to make a paste beforehand), so that the mouths don't have to catch them out of the water column. I turn the pumps off for a few minutes when feeding so that the tiny mouths have a chance to eat up the food before the pumps blow it away.

I've also been using high quality fish flakes for the same purpose. Formula One flakes are like 60% protein and you can easily crush with your fingers to make a nice powder too

Man, if only you had a camera that you could shove under the water for some high-res macros, so that the ID could be more certain lol

For tiny mouths in my tank I've been using goniopower. It's a fine powder that's small enough for even filter feeders, and it sinks easily (I mix it with tank water to make a paste beforehand), so that the mouths don't have to catch them out of the water column. I turn the pumps off for a few minutes when feeding so that the tiny mouths have a chance to eat up the food before the pumps blow it away.

I've also been using high quality fish flakes for the same purpose. Formula One flakes are like 60% protein and you can easily crush with your fingers to make a nice powder too

They definitely are the same pellets that were released from the females before so now I'm even more confident they're all rock flowers. That means if each little grouping is like 40-50 and they're sprinkled all over I have a ton to keep alive. I also have Coral Frenzy and Reef Bugs that I can use too, along w/ Albert's powder. You think that will sufifice?

omgomgomg

I swear this is the most awesome species-specific tank I've seen!!!!!!! Way to go, Annette!!!! :happydance:.

I was frustrated for so long now it's right where I want it to be. I just have to be careful not to overfeed to get the little ones to survive and not get cyano again. I usually clean the front and 2 side pieces of glass and leave the back for the urchin and sea egg. It's a joy to go downstairs to see this tank. Now i'm committing to twice a week treadmill this month so I can make sure to enjoy it along w/ going down there anyway and sitting in my chair and just staring.

yep, I'm lovin' it!

Coral Frenzy should be good. The best thing should be if you can target feed the babies. Although I don't know how feasible this is with 40-50 mouths to feed lol. But yeah, anything that's really small and will sink down to them should be good.

What is reef bugs? I did a quick search online, but I'm still confused.

Coral Frenzy should be good. The best thing should be if you can target feed the babies. Although I don't know how feasible this is with 40-50 mouths to feed lol. But yeah, anything that's really small and will sink down to them should be good.

What is reef bugs? I did a quick search online, but I'm still confused.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4049827430345827413?espv=2&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=reef+bugs&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.78677474,d.aWw&ion=1&biw=1366&bih=638&tch=1&ech=1ψ=DgpYVPwkip_JBJyQgZAO.1415055886471.3&sa=X&ei=EApYVJmMDY2gyASd74LIAw&ved=0CJsBELkk

Well, when the disk itself is only 1 mm diameter. you can't target feed it. Soo tiny.

So cool! Congrats!

Time to pass out the cigars. I'm wondering if I should take those unopened pellets that are on the perimeter sand and move them to the middle as the conches likes to trek around the sides. I worry about disturbing them but feel they'll be more disturbed if I don't.

Ah yeah, you can't target feed the mouths, but you can target the general area. MUCH more effective than broadcast feeding with the pumps on.

Also, I don't know if I asked this already or not, but I don't think they eat phyto?

I'm trying to get anything into the water column that's a liquid because they're mouths are undetectable and i know there's protein in there somewhere. The cyclopeeze was huge in comparison to the head of the flower.

I decided to leave them alone, as touching them may make it worse.

Archived