Cultivated Reef

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

HarryPotter

Oh man FlowerMama I'm sorry you had to deal with this pest algae. I've never seen such a RFA dominated tank, and love yours. I'm sure you'll get it up and running!

Here's something to cheer you up: at Durham airport they have an entire wall dedicated to RFAs!

IMG_0602_zpsohlkfsr2.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! Looks like the display that Coral Morphologic had at the Miami Airport.

I'd really love to get a series of their RFA prints to put up on the wall behind my tank, but they only sell one of them.

HarryPotter

Awesome! Looks like the display that Coral Morphologic had at the Miami Airport.

I'd really love to get a series of their RFA prints to put up on the wall behind my tank, but they only sell one of them.

WHOOPS YOU'RE RIGHT! I flew MIA to Durham, the picture was at MIA!

Yeah they're gorgeous- I think they sell a bunch though. I'll check out their site again

FlowerMama

Another reason why I love flowers. They're beautiful when they fold & unfold. I turned off the powerheads and it did this and then I caught it again in the next video w/ the clown.

Oh man FlowerMama I'm sorry you had to deal with this pest algae. I've never seen such a RFA dominated tank, and love yours. I'm sure you'll get it up and running!

Here's something to cheer you up: at Durham airport they have an entire wall dedicated to RFAs!

IMG_0602_zpsohlkfsr2.jpg

Yes, I wish I could take pics like that but for now I'll settle for some babies!!!

HarryPotter

Another reason why I love flowers. They're beautiful when they fold & unfold. I turned off the powerheads and it did this and then I caught it again in the next video w/ the clown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXQQvu5c3S

Yes, I wish I could take pics like that but for now I'll settle for some babies!!!

Beautiful videos!

I am truely DYING for a RFA. They are so beautiful! I can't believe you have babies- I am so jealous!

My LFS sells $9.99 "Rock anemones" but they are completely gray. They also have penny sized red rock anemones, but they are $49.99.

I don't suppose you are interested in selling one of the babies? That would be amazing... *teeth chatter*

FlowerMama

I had a problem with one video. Here's the other.

Beautiful videos!

I am truely DYING for a RFA. They are so beautiful! I can't believe you have babies- I am so jealous!

My LFS sells $9.99 "Rock anemones" but they are completely gray. They also have penny sized red rock anemones, but they are $49.99.

I don't suppose you are interested in selling one of the babies? That would be amazing... *teeth chatter*

I have no actual babies that have survived yet. It's been a work in progress since I started this tank and put the nems in last June. 2 bouts of Cyano since Sept and then this last time was cyano and dino. One day maybe I'll have some.

Oh, and the flower unfolding is a male, it was spawning in a previous video back in Jan so maybe it's gearing up.

FlowerMama

I'm currently trying to put pics of known females and males into a folder on my computer at least.

Very cool video of the rock flowers Annette. I hope they're all doing ok for you! Is the tank settled down now after the pH fiasco?

HarryPotter

Favorite video ever. Despite the terrible music :tears:

Thats sort of my dream tank in a way- the two black clowns, the Trach., the mixed SPS, Anenomes, LPS. Just beautiful!

Im gonna watch the video another time on mute :P

FlowerMama

Favorite video ever. Despite the terrible music :tears:

Thats sort of my dream tank in a way- the two black clowns, the Trach., the mixed SPS, Anenomes, LPS. Just beautiful!

Im gonna watch the video another time on mute :P

Wanted something child like as the clowns are well, clowns and it's been such a game w/ this dino.

Very cool video of the rock flowers Annette. I hope they're all doing ok for you! Is the tank settled down now after the pH fiasco?

Well, pH did lower however due to the pic on the previous page I took all the flowers and rocks out. I took out 95% of the sand, still have like 1/4" left and about 5-6" of water to go. I'll be starting over when I get back. I'm moving my hawkwing conchs to my friend's tank in the meantime as after cycling and another 3 wks after I didn't want them to die. I want to wait til there's nutrients in the tank before I put them back. My other friend Randi has my urchins eating her algae so at least they'll be helpful until I get them back.

Pinner Reef

You have too many threads. lol I hadn't checked on this one in a couple weeks. Sorry to say but I'm about to admit defeat to the dinos as well. I took my sixline to the LFS a few days ago. There are but a couple zoa frags and a single Favia left in the tank. I went all mad scientist ad dumped a crapload of Silica in the tank day before yesterday. Still have yet to see any Diatoms under the scope. Gonna give it one more week then pull the plug. :(:closedeyes::angry::furious::rant:

thecoralbeauty

so frustrating! but, just like in life, we sometimes just gotta pause and regroup, then come back full force and kick some @$$ and take some names.

I'm so excited to see how you manage to get through all this!!

Hang in there, Annette. Sorry you have to start over with that tank. Such a pain but at least the rock flowers are ok and you have someone to hold the other critters in the meantime.

FlowerMama

I don't even know the right way to go about it. Vinegar water or peroxide water? Do I just clean it down w/ a sponge or let it course through the veins of the tubing and skimmer, etc? Never had to regroup before.

FlowerMama

So hear this, this is nuts. I've had temperature off, no circulation etc for 6 days and windows open in the basement so it's cold water in the tank. I had like 5" more to go of water to remove and about 1/8" of sand. I found a white nem still w its tentacles out this evening. It's one I haven't seen. The water was 64 degrees. I put it in my 34. Strong little guy. Hope he makes it. He closed up when I moved him so he's responsive. I moved him into a hole in the rock so he won't be bothered by passerby snails. THIS made my day. omgomgomg I will keep him and hug him and squeeze him and call him George. Actually, her name is now Miracle.

002_zpsb8ueur2n.jpg

004_zpspur61dfb.jpg

FlowerMama

I started my love of rock flowers with a white nem I bought for $8 from Saltcritters- it was my first one so go figure this one is white.

HarryPotter

I started my love of rock flowers with a white nem I bought for $8 from Saltcritters- it was my first one so go figure this one is white.

Cool! BTW congrats on being the first person to make it into my signature! :lol:omgomgomg

(I just figured out how to make one anyway)

FlowerMama

Cool! BTW congrats on being the first person to make it into my signature! :lol:omgomgomg

(I just figured out how to make one anyway)

From the classic Warner Bros cartoons.

Just had another thought though, if the nem survived that, that means so did dino more than likely. I'm replacing the tubing also from the pump to the overflow and down from the overflow.

FlowerMama

Ha! I think MIracle will be ok. She moved since I posted the pic. Even if something bothered her...she still moved.

004_zpspur61dfb.jpg

005_zpsnk5zyvbl.jpg

Then....

fuge rocks came out

20150525_220615_zpsdjfb38zh.jpg

fuge rocks go into RO/DI til Wed night when I put them out on the porch before I leave for vaca!

20150525_224752_zpsoq7fhqq1.jpg

Then the supplies have to sit in vinegar water when I get back. Not like I won't have time as I'll be able to cycle the display before I even finish cleaning the bottom.

20150525_224949_zpsvidzfmji.jpg

I'll be replacing the tubing from the pump to the overflow and down from the overflow. I have enough for the down part but just not to the pump yet. I have to still finish up but the calcium encrustation on the overflow walls was insane. I need to really clean it well and then tomorrow hose out the 20 and put it aside for a moment. I will take vinegar/water to clean the display tank tomorrow after I sponge up the last remaining 1/4" of water. Moving right along. Will keep everyone posted of course.

20150525_225017_zpstevj7yia.jpg

Oh, and really need to clean that ATO bucket after the pH was raised.

HarryPotter

Haha I really like how the gender of the anemone changed with the name. First George, and it was referred to as "he", and now Miracle, referred to as "she".

^Funny! Yuck- lots of cleaning to do! Good luck!

FlowerMama

Here she is! I'm so proud of her. Beyond words. I don't know how she sustained 64 degree temps for 5- 6 days and no lights for the last 4 days. I'm emotional because the whole yr since June when the first ones were placed I've been trying to make babies, fight cyano & dino and it's left me with this one.

010_zps2ihtjffb.jpg.

FlowerMama

Thanks Morgan. This one really means so much to me. She's still not out of the woods yet. I put her in the hole to prevent her from getting run over by snails but it isn't the best place as she's right below the grandis palys.

Wow! Tons of work going on over there. You're really starting over with that tank! I bet its nice to be able to deep clean it all and start fresh. Good luck :)

Archived