ReefCleaners.org

My Rockin' Flower Garden!

FlowerMama

Alright. Thought I'd ask. It is a long drive from Asheville to Gastonia. :)

actually, mapquest just set it at 1 hr 26 mins so shorter than I thought actually.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well hot damn, the NanoBox just sounds sexier and sexier.

It is ;)

My thoughts are that I'd have a greater chance at fertilization if they're spawning in a more closed environment, than spawn going all over the tank and being wasted. Once they've grown a little I'd move them to the other side?? But it would be easier to feed them too. I don't think anything about it has to be complicated. Pretty much a spawn and hope for the best, wait it out tank. But due to the divider, I'm not sure on how to work the flow. They don't need a tremendous amt of flow.

I'm thinking 12-15 rockflowers in that section. It's a 7-8 min spawn session. I"m thinking of actually reversing my output and overflow so the overflow would be on the far right, furthest from the spawning section.

The sump/fuge would be bare bottom and the display tank would have like 1.5" premium black gravel.

Gotcha.

Would you have the adults in that section year round? I'm assuming they don't mind much the close quarters; the videos I've seen of divers in FL show them pretty packed. But then how do you plan on collecting the babies? I'd imagine they'd be easily outcompeted by the adults in a confined space.

ALSO, are you using black gravel because it'll be easier to spot the babies?

actually, mapquest just set it at 1 hr 26 mins so shorter than I thought actually.

Yeah You're a little closer to me than Dave is. He's about 1 hr 58mins from here.

You are planning this out so well, I don't know if I have the energy for all of this, to start breeding them. I'm going to try a lazy man's approach...and will probably be very unsuccessful :lol:.

I figure it's a spawn and wait. Who knows if they'll be successful. For now I think it'll be less maintenance. I could spend a year watching and not see anything happen for a year. I never saw the spawn for this one.

I'm also thinking maybe I need to make the spawning section just maybe 3" wider, to like 15".

Yeah You're a little closer to me than Dave is. He's about 1 hr 58mins from here.

And for some reason I was under the impression that Gastonia wasn't as close to Charlotte as it is.

Increasing the spawning area means more potential parents to set up. Sounds like a sweet deal to me.

15 x 18 then it is. I think that's plenty big. I'll have fun finding out which nems are the women and which were the men.

Thats because of all the poopoo traffic we get from Charlotte to Gastonia around 5pm :(

You like Nascar by any chance? Don got me hooked on Nascar and I'd like to make it to the Charlotte track sometime. On my bucket list is to do the Ride-A-Long Petty Driving Experience and let them take me around like 10 times. I want to feel that speed safely and not me driving and be too wimpy to go faster because my mind would get in the way.

My familly does a lot of nascar stuff. I don't keep up with it much because they do it for me. Cali race was terrible with all them cautions.

That track makes I-85, I-77, and I-485 suck for traffic though when it's race week.

I don't like the California track so I spent time w/ my parents in Hendersonville doing some errands w/ my mother instead.

I don't like the California track so I spent time w/ my parents in Hendersonville doing some errands w/ my mother instead.

All you missed was a bunch of cautions. Longest number of consecutive green laps was 29 I believe.

The track was murder on everyone's tires.

Looks good to me and I really like razor led. Some say that nano leds are better but to get that coverage will come with the cost. Not sure if that controller from BF will ever see the light. At least that's what I gathered from pm to the man behind it. There is simply not enough interest to make it worthwhile. Besides, razor has plenty of basic controls as a stand alone light. Even if that controller was available, cost might be a factor, unless you could find razor cheap on 2nd hand market.

Part of the tax refund came yesterday!. Went shopping through my lfs today since you can't buy direct from Deep Blue Professional.

Deep Blue 45g Reef Ready Rimless Drilled 36 x 24 x 12
Deep Blue series 1 aquarium stand & glass canopy.

The stand has 2 double doors on both long sides and then a convenience end-panel door opposite the pre-drilled plumbing access port in the top.

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/1stimereefer/media/stand_zps62734e1e.png.html'>stand_zps62734e1e.png

Tomorrow is the $1 per gallon sale at Petco so I'll be getting a 20L for the sump.

I know what my nitrates are in my 34 just feeding 13 nems/fish and some gorgs that need phytoplankton and oyster reef, so I am going with a skimmer. My LFS suggested the Reef Octopus NWB110 4". I see it has excellent reviews and my sis has a much bigger version for her 175g. It'll be a heavier feeding regimen, have to feed daily.

They didn't have the $1 gallon sale at Petco so apparently it wasn't my Petco's time yet. Darn. Will have to wait, no rush. Have other things I can buy.

Lights, still researching but I think it'll be a Maxspect Razor 160W 27" because there are few options that can be tank mounted and not sure if I can put a hole in the ceiling yet as I rent. It would be best that way so I wouldn't have to take of light, and lid. I need to be able to see when I feed.

-Reef Octopus NWB110

-Cobalt 150Heater

- crushed coral or black gravel- still concerned with high nitrates w/ crushed coral. At least gravel I can siphon. I'm also considering just using substrate in trays and leaving the rest bare. Still going over it in my head.

- ATO and still need one for my 34 too.

That sucks. Heres hoping you find a tank soon.

I had the same issue getting a sump for my 40b. It was going to be the spare 40B i offered you but the carpenter got the dimensions wrong so I needed a smaller tank and this guy offered a 30L as payment for some of my dad's cherry shrimp.

Good things to those who wait.

Bought some Ziploc containers at wally world (11 x 6 x 3). These 6 will be the cheapest thing about the tank!!!! $8.06

I put them on the floor to guage how much room I have once all containers are filled. At first all I need are rock nems in the middle of the tank. Then it'll be the feed and wait game for days.

And I'm still weighing my concerns about crushed coral. I know they need that to cling to for growth but I don't want high nitrates, and that's why I have the skimmer. I'm also considering the black gravel, they can still cling to it, I can gravel clean it, and it'll look nice taking a pic against the black. However, is the rock alone in the fuge going to seed it enough to make that work?

36(tapemeasure L) x 24 x 12

002_zps2b81e7f9.jpg

Tonight I'm researching ATOs. Some I've been told about a couple mos back were Autotopoff.com, Tunze, Avast ATO, and AutoAqua. I have to buy one for my 34 and this 45. I'll take input on these. They seem to vary a great deal in price- 51 to 150. That's a lot of in between.

Oh, Gertie or Geneva are making some noise. Time to go hand feed.

Oh, no hurry, you know how it is, I still have to pay for the bigger things still like the lights, skimmer, etc. It won't be needed for a while yet. Maybe that means it'll happen here soon. We have one where I work in Asheville, and then one in H'ville. I ordered the tank and stand Saturday and have no word when it'll be delivered to the LFS.

streamline.by.design

If you like I could bring one your way. I can meet you half way on my lunch break some time this week or next. I work at the 385/85 crossing.

Archived