Top Shelf Aquatics

Cheato filled with green algae

sammiewags

I purchased a bundle of cheato from my lfs and put it into my tank a few weeks ago, the other day i noticed it's filled with green algae. Is this normal? Should I throw it out while the algae is stuck in it?

albertthiel

I purchased a bundle of cheato from my lfs and put it into my tank a few weeks ago, the other day i noticed it's filled with green algae. Is this normal? Should I throw it out while the algae is stuck in it?

What type of green algae are growing in ti ?

it's the hair algae that I have been trying to get rid of. I put a phosban reactor on the tank and it's been a few weeks to starve out the algae. The LFS said the cheato would help..

albertthiel

it's the hair algae that I have been trying to get rid of. I put a phosban reactor on the tank and it's been a few weeks to starve out the algae. The LFS said the cheato would help..

If the Chaeto is full of hair algae I am afraid you probably need to remove it as getting the hair algae to go away but the Chaeto to survive is IME not going to work

• 4 weeks later...
SantaMonica

If chaeto is not getting enough growth, then it can't fight off the other attaching algae. So the chaeto just needs more light, flow, and to be thinned out so that the center of it is not packed in.

Archived