Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nutramar Ova Shortage and Global Shrimp Disease?

natalia_la_loca

Has anyone thought about getting freshwater red cherry shrimp and harvesting your own eggs from them? Just need a small planted tank with about 20 of the shrimp and they reproduce fast. Then you could harvest the eggs from a couple of the females to feed to the mandarin.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I got lucky and was able to find some of this at a local fish store last week in Glen Ellyn Illinois. This was probably close to the 100th store I called across the US. I had a friend to lives an hour away from it or so go pick it up and mail it to me in Pittsburgh since after a week the guy who runs the place hadn't confirmed how i could pay for it and ship it to me tho he said he was willing. I bought as much as he would sell me which was 7 packs at much higher price than it normally sells for, he said he had the other packs reserved for other people. I am going to try to get my Mandarin to start eating this stuff, he has just been eating pods for 8 months but he is looking slightly of the small size. I tried a product called coral feast ova which i found on ebay but my mandy didn't take to it from what i saw. It supposedly has prawn eggs, urchin eggs and decap brine shrimp eggs. Maybe if your mandarin already eats nutramar it would take to this however mine did not.

AquaPros? They had like 3 bags last time I was there.

I will pay premium if someone finds some for sale and wants to ship me them for some profit. My mandy's eat other foods but Ova keeps them in spawning condition.

Jason's Tank

Yeah it was aquapros. He said originally a week ago he had between 5-10. He said he was holding it for a guy in florida and myself. He gave my friend 7 packs so I don't know what he has left. Question for you guys since I have never fed this stuff to my mandy, how long will one of the 100 gram packs last? That's why I bought as much as he would sell me since I didn't if one of these would be gone in 2 weeks.

http://fishstorefinder.com/

Look here and start calling. Thats how I found my stash. I am sure there is more deep in a freezer in some fish store in B.F.E.

I called, he only had 1 or 2 packs. Meh, I want to try and find like 4 or so if I am going to ship it overnight. I got the feeling he had a bunch but was holding them like you said.

Yeah it was aquapros. He said originally a week ago he had between 5-10. He said he was holding it for a guy in florida and myself. He gave my friend 7 packs so I don't know what he has left. Question for you guys since I have never fed this stuff to my mandy, how long will one of the 100 gram packs last? That's why I bought as much as he would sell me since I didn't if one of these would be gone in 2 weeks.

http://fishstorefinder.com/

Look here and start calling. Thats how I found my stash. I am sure there is more deep in a freezer in some fish store in B.F.E.

4-6 packs last me like half a year.

Jason's Tank

There ya go metrocat is you want one or two but good luck having him ship it to you. I messaged and called for a week until I contacted my buddy in the area to just go buy it.

If mine doesn't take to the Nutramar I might want to sell my stash or try and rent another mandarin from the LFS to see if it can teach mine to eat the stuff.

Jason's Tank

Has anyone tried the Reef Nutrition R.O.E.? I was going to buy that if I didn't find any nutramar my LFS carries it for 22 bucks a bottle.

I'd keep them both in my QT tank and feed them only Nutramar until they both ate it.

They might fight even if they are male + female. When mandarins are hungry, they like to chase the intruder away.

Jason's Tank

Mine is a female so I think I can add either male or female. If they don't get a long my fish store is less than a mile away and I get a long well with him since I am his supplier of crested geckos

Tamberav,

Do you have any tips on how to present the nutramar to my mandarin? I have a QT tank and a Net breeder. I thought the net breeder might be the best approach since its still in it home sort of and the movement from the net might trigger a feeding response.

Mine is a female so I think I can add either male or female. If they don't get a long my fish store is less than a mile away and I get a long well with him since I am his supplier of crested geckos

Tamberav,

Do you have any tips on how to present the nutramar to my mandarin? I have a QT tank and a Net breeder. I thought the net breeder might be the best approach since its still in it home sort of and the movement from the net might trigger a feeding response.

Ive done both. If the QT tank is bare bottom then either works really. I don't have a net breeder but a plastic one, they will peck at ova weather it moves or not. I think it just looks so much like a pod to them and it is easy to see with no sand. Mysis you definitely want moving in most cases though.

Watch for spitting, some will peck peck peck but spit spit spit. They all seem to eventually stop spitting though. Some in just a few days but I have had a few stubborn ones that took a few weeks.

Jason's Tank

Thanks, hopefully after he starts eating the nutramar i can get him on to other things in case this shortages lasts a lot longer, indefinitely, or in the future. Ultimately I'd like to get him on pellets

Jason's Tank

Well I started feeding him the nutramar in the net breeder today and it may of taken 3 or 4 minute and he immediately transformed into a chicken and began pecking at the thawing chunk I tossed in the net breeder with him like a maniac. Sorry to say but I won't be selling my stash and besides when it was all said an done with shipping I paid about 30 dollars per pack. I doubt any of you guys wanted to pay that much for it. Hope they can get back out there and harvest some eggs for you guys soon.

natalia_la_loca

Sad to see this shortage is still going on. Must be getting close to a year since it was last shipped fresh.

I just got off the phone with Andy, one of the owners of Ocean Nutrition USA and SanFran Bay brand. I've been trying to get someone to help me out with information for over 2 weeks. One of our posters on this thread has been feeding Ocean Nutrition Lobster Eggs which may work as a substitute for OVA. (I've previously posted that I spoke to Nutramar directly also). Anyway Lobster Eggs is only sold in Europe and not in the US. In fact ON Europe is a completely separate company than ON USA.

Andy has been working on more egg products but in the meantime he suggested I try their Reef Plankton product which has eggs in the smallest micron size about 150 he said. He was also skeptical whether the lobster egg product is actually lobster eggs.

In the meantime I have also been trying a new product on the market- Doc's Eco Eggs. This is being used by Kevin Kohen at Live Aquaria to condition his corals and fish so that is a pretty major endorsement right there. Over emails with "Doc" I learnt that the eggs in his product are freshwater fish eggs with a better nutritional profile than other products on the market.

Bella eats everything so I cannot really judge if she reacts any better to Docs than she does to other frozen. Perhaps someone else could try the product and report results?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=29142

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=29157

I just got off the phone with Andy, one of the owners of Ocean Nutrition USA and SanFran Bay brand. I've been trying to get someone to help me out with information for over 2 weeks. One of our posters on this thread has been feeding Ocean Nutrition Lobster Eggs which may work as a substitute for OVA. (I've previously posted that I spoke to Nutramar directly also). Anyway Lobster Eggs is only sold in Europe and not in the US. In fact ON Europe is a completely separate company than ON USA.

Andy has been working on more egg products but in the meantime he suggested I try their Reef Plankton product which has eggs in the smallest micron size about 150 he said. He was also skeptical whether the lobster egg product is actually lobster eggs.

In the meantime I have also been trying a new product on the market- Doc's Eco Eggs. This is being used by Kevin Kohen at Live Aquaria to condition his corals and fish so that is a pretty major endorsement right there. Over emails with "Doc" I learnt that the eggs in his product are freshwater fish eggs with a better nutritional profile than other products on the market.

Bella eats everything so I cannot really judge if she reacts any better to Docs than she does to other frozen. Perhaps someone else could try the product and report results?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=29142

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=29157

I'll pick some up soon and test it on all 5. :D So far, I like that it doesn't need overnight shipping!

Thanks for sharing Kat!

nanoreefnate

Visited Aqua SD last weekend and I was able to procure some more of Algen's Tisbe pods from them. I also bought H2O Live's Reef Caviar, which my female is eating just as readily as Ova an R.O.E. Problem is that my male isn't. I did talk to who I believe was Will's (the owners) wife and she stated that their mandarins showed most interest in and were eating H2O Life's Cyclops product. I have yet to procure this food but I hope to soon. The amount of tisbe pods I'm having to harvest from my cultures is unsustainable. I've gone from one 5 gallon, one 1 gallon, and 9 pint cultures to three 5 gallon buckets, two 1 gallon buckets, and the 9 pint mason jars. There's green water everywhere in my house!

• 4 months later...

Anyone else try Docs Eco Eggs or Reef Caviar? My little mandarin will only eat nauplii so far.

I got reef caviar recently, all 6 mandarin's ate it. Downside being... its the same color as sand.

I also have Eco eggs but they wouldn't eat it.

Archived